Need some help PLZ!!! >

Need some help PLZ!!!

Need some help PLZ!!!

Old 04-29-2009, 04:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Need some help PLZ!!!

hi all,
its been years since ive owned an electric r/c, so i need some help with a few things as i have just bought 1.

i bought a yokomo bd, with 17 mod motor, novatech esc, and intellect 7.2v 4200 nimh battery pack.

ive taken the car out for a drive, and its not that fast in a straight line, but its handles very well. is there any way to program the esc(if any1 knows how, that would be great) to get more top end speed?
or should i get a lower turn motor.

also i have bought a venom 7.2v 5000 nimh battery, which ive heard are quite good.

and ive just bought a 3 racing heat sink+fan for the motor. how do i connect this, as i dont have a 3-channel radio receiver??

AND,

im looking to change my brushed motor over to a brushless motor+esc, and to run it of 5000mah venom nimh.
im mainly looking to make my car faster than it is atm(17t brushed, with 4600mah nimh- approx 40-50kph)

ive narrowed down to the following combos, which are in my price bracket($250aud)

-Castle Creations 1/10 Brushless Sidewinder Combo ESC/5700kv
-LRP BRUSHLESS 9.5Turn ESC/MOTOR COMBO

which would be the best option?
or is there another combo which would be better

thanks!!!
Old 04-29-2009, 06:22 AM
Tech Elite

Should be pretty straightforward? Check everything!

Mate, depending on the track you are going to drive it on, your 17 turn might actually be faster than any of those two motors you are looking at (at our track in Perth we had last year two drivers running 19 turn motors in mod and they were faster than the field and the field had some really good drivers. My suggestion is make sure your 17 turn is in top nick as brushed motors go down very quickly if neglected (comm trued, brushes, springs, bearings, etc).

Next on the list check the drive train make sure it's free. If it isn't there's your answer.

Likewise the battery (which I suspect is your problem right now). Nimh are at the end of their life (and yours more so since the car is a top competition car and has probably had a hard life, hence the battery is probably dead by now).

Look into Lipos if they can fit in the car (I don't have direct experience with this car) and if they do, go Lipo. If they don't, at least you know why the PO sold it.

Good luck!
Old 04-29-2009, 07:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Thumbs up

You can still use Ni-MH or even Ni-Cd and I don't think it will hurt you too much but making sure your gearing is correct, your driveline is free, and your motor is taken care of is essential. What kind of speeds you lookin for and where do you race or do you even race?
Old 04-29-2009, 06:38 PM
Tech Regular

thanks for the replies.

i dont race it atm, but the 17t motor is fast enough for the racing i will do(indoor carpet).
i was looking to get a brushless motor+esc and run lipo's with it, for maximum speed!
i have a nitro 1/10, which easily tops 80kmh, so im aiming for speeds around that mark.

i have done a check through the whole car, and the driveline is fine, motor might need new bearings and brushes, but its in pretty good condition, and the battery is in very good condition(barely used, and balance charged).

i was going to get a brushelss combo, thats why i asked which of the two posted would be the best for max speed(large open area racing).
then i'll simply attach the 17t for racing.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:27 PM
Tech Regular

ive done a complete check through the whole car and everything is fine with the driveline.
ive ordered a castle creations 5700kv sidewinder combo, and i'll fit it next week sometime.

what li-po battery would work best with the sidewinder?