Being consistant with a one-way.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Being consistant with a one-way.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 08:11 AM
Tech Elite

Default Being consistant with a one-way.

I finally tried out a oneway at the track yesterday and it was very different from just having a loose mid one-way. Faster I think, but I'm having problems being consistant. With dual diffs it was very easy just to hit approximately the same lines each lap and be fast(once tuned properly). With the oneway I can hit great lines one lap and then miss every line the next lap. I still need to get used to the one-way and the car still needs tuning but i think it's in the ball park. The big thing I noticed was absolutely nuts off power steering, so much so I had to trim up the throttle. Also, on power nearly all the time seems to be the go.

Did anybody else have problems with consistancy when they first moved to a front one-way from a standard diff? Any tips?

Thanks,

fatdoggy.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

I found myself to be extremely faster and consistent on longer more open tracks with sweeping turns as opposed to tight technical tracks. I think I would have been faster on technical tracks if I put the stock ball diffs back in, but I'm too lazy so I adjusted to a different driving style to get my lap times down on the tight tracks.

Where do you race? I live in MD too! It's too cold to be racing outside, so you must've been at "the track" in G-burg?
Old 11-30-2003, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

It was at Garlands R/C in Hagerstown, they have a new indoor asphult track and it's pretty sweet. I'm close to mimi's but her place is so closed up that the traction compound fog makes my eyes water like crazy, so I don't race there often. Other then the fog her place is top knotch though.

The garlands track is small-medium but it's still a fast track. It's also less *winning* orientated. It's more about having fun(IMO), which I prefer. Lots of fun.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:19 AM
Tech Regular

I always had trouble when I tried a front oneway because my front wheel bearings were never prefect. So one side would be binding a little more than the other. I was too cheap to replace the bearings, so I just cleaned them. That helped a little.
Old 11-30-2003, 12:41 PM
Tech Addict

Hello fatdoggy,

You could try less camper change in the front, less angle on the front camberlink, that will take away some steering both inn and out of the corner.
Have your front shocks more upright and more rear toe inn will also smooth out the car.....

Good luck!
Eirik
Old 11-30-2003, 01:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hmmm, I haven't heard of Garlands. I'll have to check it out. The best indoor asphalt I've been to is RCO. Used to go up there every weekend. I was never too crazy about Mimi's. Too competetive.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

Eirik - Thanks, I'll try less front camber and more rear toe-in.

TC3Killer - Yer RCO is really nice but it's 2 hours away for me, garlands is 1 hour and is a more relaxed setup. Fewer people race at garlands then Rco or mimi's.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:01 PM
Tech Regular

If the roll is a bit too much, you can put 5000wt diff oil in the bearings and that will slow down the freewheeling a little without any accel loss.

I always run a one-way because it's faster. It just takes a bit to get used to.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:04 PM
Tech Elite

Claydoh - Thanks, that is a great idea. How thick is the 5000wt diff oil, would ae silicon diff grease be to thick?

Thanks, that tip is a big help.
Old 12-02-2003, 06:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

claydoh is right on. though i have used a oneway, i've not played with different "packs" inside a oneway, but my inclination is to say that even a heavy wheel bearing style grease (for real cars) would be ok. the rotating mass is so high at the wheels, and the bearing is so small, that i bet it would still free wheel a few rotations.

i do know that this is what some of the fast stock guys played with for carpet last year. i think it was some losi purple stuff that they were using. of course, it could all be rumors.

my $.02
Old 12-02-2003, 06:50 AM
Tech Regular

5000wt diff oil is a little thinner than honey at room temp.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:35 AM
Tech Adept

What you need to adjust is your rear droop. With a front diff, you want about 2mm of uplift in the rear. With a front one-way, you want only 1mm of uplift in the rear. This will help keep the car from transitioning the weight forward, which will get rid of some of the extra off power steering. When I switch between a front diff and a front one-way, I only adjust droop. If the car already felt good, nothing else should need to be adjusted.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

Pardon my ignorance, but when you guys say you are faster with a front one-way, is that faster top end, or through the corners?

I mostly run oval and drag races with my BL TC3, and would love to see a bit more top end

On a side note, Mimi's is pretty competetive, but close - 20 mins from my house. There are some pretty knowledgeable people there too.
Old 12-02-2003, 12:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Claydoh
5000wt diff oil is a little thinner than honey at room temp.
Thanks, I'll put that on my shopping list.

seaball - Thanks, I'm going to try both the grease and the diff oil and then tune from there.

Shiloh - Yep thats been done. I might have to adjust my front droop as well though. Thanks.

DraKhen99 - With a front one-way you have alot more steering(on and off power) so you can push it harder and faster into and out of the corners then you usually can with a ball diff up front. A front one-way on power causes the front wheels to turn at the same speed and off power causes the front wheels to free wheel. If you drag race with your tc3 you would probabley see a performance increase if you ran a one-way up front, as opposed to a ball diff.

Last edited by fatdoggy; 12-02-2003 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:49 AM
Tech Elite

If you can disable the drag/auto-brakes in the ESC, it'll help a lot. Otherwise, try adjust the throttle trim to a very small on-power at trigger zero position.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.