Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NewBie needs help] What kind of tires best for Carpet racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 02:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Trips
I wouldn't use Jack (or any traction additive) for an autonomous car... Even after wiping the tires off, we almost always drive a lap or two to get the tires to work before the start of the run... I'd have to guess that the driverless auto-car won't have the chance to do this, and would tend to be "greasy" if additive is used.

Another consideration... since this isn't actual r/c racing, we can't assume it will be on Ozite... I can think of some types of carpet where you might get better results with 4wd offroad type tires...
www-inst.eecs.berkeley.edu/~ee192/sp06/pix2006/index.htm

that page includes pictures from previous competitions. anything other than foam good for that in your opinion?

We are not allowed to leave any resedue on the track [traction additive]. I've heard some teams used it in previous years, I guess they must have cleaned it off well. So what does it take to clean it off after application. We we are provided with practice oval before the race, where I could clean up any traction additive.

edit: thanks chensleyrc1
Old 04-29-2009, 07:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Biggest thing would be to scrub the tires off. Without following your link, I will stick on the foam tires subject. One thing you could possibly do is keep a carpet square (remnanat or discarded sample from local store) nearby to do a burn-out on. This will get the slime off the tires and actually get the grip up.

Something that comes to mind is the amount of crap the tires will pick up from the rug. There is the chance that foam or slick rubber tires would attract too much dust/dirt causing them to slide around.

The only reason I'd shy away from the off-road tires is the mushy foams in the tires could fool any internal sensors you may have on the wheels (perhaps for judging distance traveled). But this can be overcome by making a core with tape. I'm thinking that Losi pink tapers might be good to go with, however, getting rims that will mount up to the Tamiya might be a bit of a challenge. There is always the possibility of going with any cheap foam tire and contact cementing the carcass from the pink taper to the surface of the foam...

good luck.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:10 PM
Tech Rookie

thanks,

I'll report how it goes.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I am assuming you are running low horsepower?

If that is the case the offroad tyres will work a treat. Anyone who has driven their buggy indoors knows that the mini pins most offroad tyre use hook up on carpet really well. You can get rims that use pin drive rather than a hex and simply remove the hex from your tamiya and you should be pretty close. As long as the pind are in good nick there will be massive grip. Go for a hard compund for durability.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Dragonfire
I am assuming you are running low horsepower?

If that is the case the offroad tyres will work a treat. Anyone who has driven their buggy indoors knows that the mini pins most offroad tyre use hook up on carpet really well. You can get rims that use pin drive rather than a hex and simply remove the hex from your tamiya and you should be pretty close. As long as the pind are in good nick there will be massive grip. Go for a hard compund for durability.
I am not sure what qualifies low horsepower.

My car runs at upto 9.5 ft/s (nearly 3m/s). We don't have carpet track at my university and have been racing on concrete (where rubber tires give plenty traction). entring turns after straightaways, my car is so fast that it lifts its inner tires. If we were on carpet, it would probably slide.

If I do buy buggy taper pin tires, can I just put them on the rims that came with my tamiya (my rubber wheels are not glued on to the rims)
Old 05-03-2009, 12:40 AM
Tech Master

If using foams i would use gecko foams. They are fantastic and you dont need additive. They are rated by shore so its easy. I would go for 35 at the front and 32 at the back.

They are the tire of choice here. All the racers moved over to them (thex are alre cheap which is a bonus)

Mini pins are a good rubber alternative.

Cheers