Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
i need help in soldering loose GP3300 together >

i need help in soldering loose GP3300 together

i need help in soldering loose GP3300 together

Old 12-13-2003, 06:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (92%+)
Thumbs up i need help in soldering loose GP3300 together

it is my first time to solder loose cells together and i need help! (please)

i just recently bought some GP3300 loose cells. and i have got that special holding case for the cells. all i need is some tips on how to get the best out of my cells.

so if anyone can help me to give me a few tips it would be gr8.

thanx
Old 12-13-2003, 07:16 AM
Tech Master

Pro match site
Here is a good tutorial on how to do it. Make sure you are using a hot enough iron with at least a 1/4 inch tip. and never hold the iron on the cell for more than 3 seconds. Let the cell cool well before trying to resolder if ya make a mistake. Make sure the ends are clean after you sand them. Try to get help putting pressure on the bar as you solder, This not only makes it easier but putting pressure on the bar as you solder helps transfer heat quicker. When you do the final solder it should look like a shiny puddle on top of the bar. Hold the solder in one hand and the iron in the other and feed some solder as your doing the joint remember to be quick.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
pmr battery pack.bmp (178.9 KB, 125 views)
Old 12-13-2003, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ok to add:
try to sand the terminals so that the solder will stick.
it's best if u have bars that are made for GP or u can get anyone and bend them first so that they fit perfectly when u rest them on the cells.
I hope u have a battery jig...otherwise it's wise to run out and buy one NOW.
Old 12-13-2003, 10:16 AM
Tech Master

The key is,

1. Hot soldering iron with a big tip
2. Deans Speed Jig
3. tin the surface before solding on the bars.

Once you get the hang of it, its really easy. You do have to be careful not to over solder or leave the soldering tips on the cell too long. Hope this help. If not, you can email: [email protected]

Dan
Old 12-13-2003, 02:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Not sure if this tip was given but make sure to let your iron get up to temp between soldering. I wait a few minutes just to make sure and tin the end of the tip before you solder as it seems to help with the heat transfer.
Old 12-13-2003, 08:23 PM
Tech Master

thanx all u have been a gr8 help
Old 12-13-2003, 10:27 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by SpeediePHATT
Pro match site
Here is a good tutorial on how to do it. Make sure you are using a hot enough iron with at least a 1/4 inch tip. and never hold the iron on the cell for more than 3 seconds. Let the cell cool well before trying to resolder if ya make a mistake. Make sure the ends are clean after you sand them. Try to get help putting pressure on the bar as you solder, This not only makes it easier but putting pressure on the bar as you solder helps transfer heat quicker. When you do the final solder it should look like a shiny puddle on top of the bar. Hold the solder in one hand and the iron in the other and feed some solder as your doing the joint remember to be quick.
Do they do it that way if you have them assemble a pack for you? Im pretty new to electric and not great with the soldering iron. I like to do everything myself, but I dont want to chance it with expensive cells. Can anybody vouch for them doing a good job?

btw: Does anybody know if they're selling the new cells? Mabey they're having all those sales to get rid of the old ones?
Old 12-14-2003, 01:41 AM
Tech Master

I can guraantee that anything you get from Pro Match is top quality They have been the leader in the industry for a while now. The sales I saw were for lower voltage cells they probably just have alot of them in stock.
Old 12-14-2003, 12:43 PM
Tech Addict

The seem to have sales on everything except the 1.17+ cells which are out of stock. That could mean two things, that they got the new cells, which in general have a lower voltage than the old cells, or that they're trying to get rid of the old cells. I think Ill just order them, I probably wont notice the diffrence anyway.
Old 12-14-2003, 04:13 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by AE Racer
Do they do it that way if you have them assemble a pack for you? Im pretty new to electric and not great with the soldering iron. I like to do everything myself, but I dont want to chance it with expensive cells. Can anybody vouch for them doing a good job?

btw: Does anybody know if they're selling the new cells? Mabey they're having all those sales to get rid of the old ones?
i bought 18 loose cells about 2 weeks ago and i have some other friends who each bought from the same seller.

all i did is i went on ebay america and australian and just searched for batteries. and sure enough i found a seller. you should try the same thing and if u don't get anywhere ask around at ur club ( ask the experenced guys ) for help where to get the batteries from and usualy they will help u alot.

but one thing don't go to a hobby shop and ask them because 8/10 times they don't even have a cule what they are talking about.

thats all foks.