R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   TC3 Gone Brushless, now what? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/29209-tc3-gone-brushless-now-what.html)

DraKhen99 12-11-2003 08:30 AM

TC3 Gone Brushless, now what?

Ok, I've got my Novak brushless setup running great, with a 72 tooth spur and 27 tooth pinion [for a 6.67 FDR, within the limits of the 6.5 - 7.3 FDR recommended by Novak].

I also swapped out the stock driveshaft [which had a nasty little curve to it] for an aluminum one.

What should my next hop-ups be?

I was considering rebuilding the rear diff and installing a front one-way.

I'm looking for top end here, and any boost to handling would be secondary.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Intermision 12-11-2003 08:48 AM

I wouldn't install a one-way on a brushless.

DraKhen99 12-11-2003 08:50 AM

Why not?

What negative effects will it have on performance/handling?

Intermision 12-11-2003 09:21 AM

You will pretty much loose brakes, and most people I know only use a one-way when racing stock motors. Also If you are not racing there will be no reason to stray away from ball diffs.

DraKhen99 12-11-2003 09:32 AM

Ok, so what else can I do to boost performance? I am working on building some 7 cell packs, which is the max. # of cells the novak supports, so there's no more speed there.

Are there lots of carbon fiber hop-ups for the TC3?

I could use some of those to lower weight.

sedanaddict 12-11-2003 10:07 AM

brushless tcs

if a brushless novak setup in a tc3 with seven cells isn't fast enough for you, you should cut your losses, sell the electric and go nitro. you can't get much faster than what you have with any other electric touring car setup except a very low turn modified brushed motor. you will have much less run time than with the novak though and much more maintenence.

DraKhen99 12-11-2003 03:06 PM

Yeah, I've got a Nitro TC3 with the stock motor in it, ported nicely, does about 55 i think. Keeps up with Nova Rossi .12s

I also have an HPI RS4 RTR3 with HPI's 12R SC & RD Logics pipe + 2 speed. It's in the mid 40s somewhere I think.

I have gone nitro, but prefer my good ol' Electric TC3. More reliable, run times are essentially the same [I have 4 batts, so I'm not down too long between runs].

Just wanted to show the nitro guys up. If I can get the TC3 into the 55+ mph range, i'd be smokin 'em off the line AND keepin up in top end. Right now I beat 'em in the 132 foot race [1/10th scale quarter mile], but once we get to 175+ feet, they take off when they get halfway into 2nd gear.

sedanaddict 12-12-2003 04:49 AM

tc3 brushless

for pure acceleration, 7 cells, lrp 7.1,esc 6 single or lower turn mod and you will beat the nitro boys after 132 feet. I suggest the lrp only because it was used to set the speed record a few years ago. other esc's will work. the downside is short runtime, tons of comm cutting, and it is alot easier to fry a low turn motor than a high turn.
get a 5 port turbo 12 motor for your nitro. it is alot cheaper in the long run and will be faster.

dr_hfuhuhurr 12-12-2003 05:40 AM

If you're not racing and don't care about handling then get whatever you like. Replace everything with aluminum, buy carbon fiber everything, it doesn't really matter if you're not racing it.

DraKhen99 12-12-2003 08:11 AM

d00d, dr_hfuhuhurr, I think you're missing the point! I *am* racing it... just not on a circuit course. I do more straight line racing, and every once in a while we set up an oval to run on.

So the consensus is that my TC3 is about as fast as it's gonna be with the brushless motor in it?

sedanaddict 12-12-2003 09:53 AM

tc3 brushless

yes, any carbon fiber parts you add will make a minimal difference to top speed. wind resistance is more of a factor at 50 mph+ than weight is anyway.

DraKhen99 12-12-2003 01:53 PM

Ok, so what bodies should I be looking at then?

Right now I'm running a freshly-painted Saleen Mustang body, with the "show" spoiler, for a tad bit less wind resistance [I think].

I also have a Honda Accord body somewhere, as well as a Volvo S60 body. The Mustang looks the best [IMO] but which one has the best aerodynamic properties?

fatdoggy 12-12-2003 02:24 PM

Hacker 6T brushless system, with 7 (3300's) cells(I think the hacker esc can take 7) you should make a 5 minute race, with 6 cells(3300's) you may be pushing it. The price is definately a bit more but it has more power then the current novak unit. I don't think novak's new brushless system it out yet so *right now* the fastest is the hacker.

As per bodies, my favorite so far is the protoform vectra. I'd say the standard stratus, Stratus 2, alfa 2 or the vectra. the best streering would probabely be with the alfa. If you want the lease air resistance I'd say the stratus 2 or the vectra. Dish wheels may also help a little.

Boomer 12-12-2003 03:39 PM

Originally posted by DraKhen99
Just wanted to show the nitro guys up. If I can get the TC3 into the 55+ mph range, i'd be smokin 'em off the line AND keepin up in top end. Right now I beat 'em in the 132 foot race [1/10th scale quarter mile], but once we get to 175+ feet, they take off when they get halfway into 2nd gear.
You want to know how to show the nitros up? It's actually pretty easy -

Get an RC10L2 (you know, the old pan car technology) that weighs only about 40 oz. and see if you can get your BL into that. You'll have tons more acceleration and more maneuverability than the 1/10th scale Nitros.

I run both NTC3 and 10L2 (with a 9x2 and 3300's). A bunch of us pan car guys run at Revelation Raceway once a month. We are significantly faster than the Nitro guys, and about a second per lap off the pace of the 1/8th scale guys. . .