TA-05 ver.2

Old 03-22-2011, 04:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=spool+vs.+d...rctech.net&l=1

Old 03-22-2011, 05:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I use a spool in my TC (17.5 unboosted) and it works great for my driving style.

However a friend was driving a spool almost all year, switched to a diff and gained massive time. So it's all based on your driving style.

If you already have two diffs, then try it out and compare.

Although I believe that a spool is better for boosted and diff is better for unboosted in general.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eComet
Instead of posting a new thread every now and then, please use the search to find the thread you are looking for. You will not get much feedback if the answer has been discussed already.

Search! My friend.
Indeed, which is why I merged his last 2 threads to the original TA05v.2 one, please use the search function first, it can help you avoid a lot of frustration. Oh, & on the spool question, I do prefer it myself, have one in both my TA05v.2 & 416WE....
Old 03-23-2011, 07:39 AM
Tech Master

im confused if the ta05 v2r has the front shocks on an angle and is a better set up then why does the 417 have straighht up and down shocks.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theatriks
im confused if the ta05 v2r has the front shocks on an angle and is a better set up then why does the 417 have straighht up and down shocks.
No one ever said the laydown shock setup is better, it's mainly there to enable the use of ultra-low nose bodies, like Tamiya's newer NSX & HSV-010(& a number of others they make). but that being said, I don't think either way is "better" than the other, just a little different...
Old 03-24-2011, 07:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Straight up shocks might be easier to tune. Easier to change the shock angles.

Laydown shocks you need to play with installing shims, not so easy. But then you can mount low nose bodies.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:20 AM
Tech Master

ok thanks i was a bit confused because the tamiya ads for that car make it sound like the ifs is new and better technology and theres nothing better then in there top of the line racer they put up and down shocks so kinda figured there full of it over there at tamiya
Old 03-24-2011, 09:09 AM
Tech Regular

How are people finding the battery mounting system on the Exotec chassis? Any flying LiPo's? Do they offer parts so that tape can be used?

Haven't used a cell strap for a long time and have gotten fond of the old tape

Cheers
Old 03-24-2011, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Chrissy C
How are people finding the battery mounting system on the Exotec chassis? Any flying LiPo's? Do they offer parts so that tape can be used?

Cheers
If it is the same as the TC chassis, it actually mounts very well with tape.

Originally Posted by theatriks
kinda figured there full of it over there at tamiya
THe technology isn't anything new, but to Tamiya's credit, it works VERY well. I suggest driving one and judge for yourself if it works or not.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chrissy C

Cheers
haven't had any issues with the strap so far. been using it for a bit now.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:38 PM
Tech Regular

I just completed the build of a TA05 V2 and was looking at the blank setup sheet. I can see what to put in for the spots where I identify the location of shock attachments or other such settings.

How do I identify the things like caster, toe-in/out, and camber?

Tamiya identifies areas of adjustment and gives you parts to make adjustment in some cases but doesn't tell you what the kit standard starting point is. I don't have the setup tools yet so I can't measure them unless I get someone at my LHS track to let me use their setup tools. These tools are on my list of things to buy "real soon now".

Is there a list somewhere that tells you this, assuming you build strictly according to the manual?

I've searched for this info but only find setups for various tracks/races but nothing that says "this is your starting point for a standard build". I'd like to know this info before I start changing things when I get the spec tires & body.

Ben
Old 03-29-2011, 07:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bencason
I just completed the build of a TA05 V2 and was looking at the blank setup sheet. I can see what to put in for the spots where I identify the location of shock attachments or other such settings.

How do I identify the things like caster, toe-in/out, and camber?

Tamiya identifies areas of adjustment and gives you parts to make adjustment in some cases but doesn't tell you what the kit standard starting point is. I don't have the setup tools yet so I can't measure them unless I get someone at my LHS track to let me use their setup tools. These tools are on my list of things to buy "real soon now".

Is there a list somewhere that tells you this, assuming you build strictly according to the manual?

I've searched for this info but only find setups for various tracks/races but nothing that says "this is your starting point for a standard build". I'd like to know this info before I start changing things when I get the spec tires & body.

Ben
Caster on the TA05* is fixed, based on the front "C". The standard caster is 4 degrees (the blocks are marked left/right). Lacking the measurement tools, I would recommend starting with the kit recommendations for turnbuckle lengths. You can then use the measurements from your calipers as the figure you enter on the setup sheet. It won't tell you the degree of angle "toe" & "camber" but it will give you a setting you can return to until you can get the proper gauges.

As for tools, caliper, droop/down stop gauge, camber gauge, and ride height gauge would be very useful and can take you a long way. Consider, Integy, and Eagle gauges for lower cost alternatives to Hudy. However, "high quality" tools will hold their value and last a long time.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:54 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Geppetto
Caster on the TA05* is fixed, based on the front "C". The standard caster is 4 degrees (the blocks are marked left/right). Lacking the measurement tools, I would recommend starting with the kit recommendations for turnbuckle lengths. You can then use the measurements from your calipers as the figure you enter on the setup sheet. It won't tell you the degree of angle "toe" & "camber" but it will give you a setting you can return to until you can get the proper gauges.

As for tools, caliper, droop/down stop gauge, camber gauge, and ride height gauge would be very useful and can take you a long way. Consider, Integy, and Eagle gauges for lower cost alternatives to Hudy. However, "high quality" tools will hold their value and last a long time.
Thanks Larry. I didn't think of listing the turnbuckle lengths. I built them carefully to the lengths specified in the manual so that is easy to record. I do have a ride height gauge & set of calipers. Somewhere I think I may have a camber gauge, from the distant past, if I can find it and it is reasonably accurate. The rest of the tools will come as time and money allow.

It does surprise me a little that Tamiya doesn't provide the settings so that you have an idea where you are starting from, assuming you build to instruction.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bencason
It does surprise me a little that Tamiya doesn't provide the settings so that you have an idea where you are starting from, assuming you build to instruction.
My guess is that the majority of RC kits sold by Tamiya are not to the die-hard racer. Adding specs like camber, toe, caster and ride height would further complicate the instructions to the kid looking to buy a neat "toy".
Old 03-29-2011, 09:22 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Geppetto
My guess is that the majority of RC kits sold by Tamiya are not to the die-hard racer. Adding specs like camber, toe, caster and ride height would further complicate the instructions to the kid looking to buy a neat "toy".
I can see that on the TT01 [not much to "tune" there] but the TA05 is a semi-serious TC [based on reading RC Tech I see some people have been quite successful with it in club races against high-end TCs]. I was looking at the TA05 V2 manual and see, in the section devoted to Options, they list the base kit settings as they describe the options. So between your suggestion & the info I missed [I must have been reading with my eyes closed], I think I can hit most of the settings I want to record.

Last edited by bencason; 03-29-2011 at 03:46 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.