R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-16-2010, 05:23 AM   #1441
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Zac,

Those are the correct springs. Just make sure they are the short ones. Don't bother with the red ones. They are too soft. White, blue and yellow are all you need.

I have 46mm CVs on mine front and rear. Agree that you want the steel ones on the front.

From the other opinions on the aluminum C hubs, it sounds like 3 racing may have improved their quality. The ones I saw were really bad. The problem is that when you make one part stronger, you will end up breaking a different part. It's easier to replace a c hub than a suspension hinge pin or hinge block. It can be a double edged sword if you know what I mean.
woodys3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:33 AM   #1442
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedChair View Post
Hi All, just a general question. I've been out of RC for 3 years, but anxious to get back in with my 8 year old son. We live near the Tamiya track in Aliso Viejo so we're very excited about trying to get back into the scene, as well as trying to participate in some of the TCS races.

I'm planning on getting a TT01 for my son; but I can't overspend or the wife will kill me. Of course I would love to buy him the TT01 Pro but I'll have to buy the body, motor, tires, etc. So the likely scenario is to buy a kit, and get him an inexpensive 2.4 Ghz radio. Any recommendation on an inexpensive speed controller that will work with lipo, and the stock silver can; any recommendations on inexpensive lipo that's TCS approved?

For me, I'm planning on getting the new TAO5 V2 R, I just have to pull the trigger. I did order the Speed Passion Citrix esc/spec motor combo, seems like a great price at $89. I ordered some Turnigy 5200 30C lipos from Hobbyking, hopefully they'll be okay but just realized they're not TCS approved, or are they? I have the list of approved lipo's but they're not listed. I couldn't see why they wouldnt' let me use these since they're not mfg direct batteries.

Well, any recommendations on setup, tires, bodies, batteries, esc, and how to drive ( LOL ) is appreciated.
We don't have any TCS races around here so I'm no expert on the rules but I believe that the rules are pretty specific about most of the things you are asking about. If you don't have a copy of the rules, get one before you start buying things like speed controllers motors and tires. That being said, I do have a fair amount of experience with the TT-01 and TA-05 V2.

You can use the speedo that comes with the TT-01. All you really need is tires, shocks and steering tie rod upgrades. The plastic CVA super mini shocks work fine and are not very expensive. You will want to buy ball bearings for it as well.

Can I ask where you ordered the speed passion system from? I could use another motor/speedo
woodys3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:39 AM   #1443
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedChair View Post
Hi All, just a general question. I've been out of RC for 3 years, but anxious to get back in with my 8 year old son. We live near the Tamiya track in Aliso Viejo so we're very excited about trying to get back into the scene, as well as trying to participate in some of the TCS races.

I'm planning on getting a TT01 for my son; but I can't overspend or the wife will kill me. Of course I would love to buy him the TT01 Pro but I'll have to buy the body, motor, tires, etc. So the likely scenario is to buy a kit, and get him an inexpensive 2.4 Ghz radio. Any recommendation on an inexpensive speed controller that will work with lipo, and the stock silver can; any recommendations on inexpensive lipo that's TCS approved?

For me, I'm planning on getting the new TAO5 V2 R, I just have to pull the trigger. I did order the Speed Passion Citrix esc/spec motor combo, seems like a great price at $89. I ordered some Turnigy 5200 30C lipos from Hobbyking, hopefully they'll be okay but just realized they're not TCS approved, or are they? I have the list of approved lipo's but they're not listed. I couldn't see why they wouldnt' let me use these since they're not mfg direct batteries.

Well, any recommendations on setup, tires, bodies, batteries, esc, and how to drive ( LOL ) is appreciated.

You got PM
Old 11-16-2010, 10:52 AM   #1444
Tech Rookie

Default Help on decision about 2nd RC car

I purchased a TA05VII (Lambo) for my son. I am the pit crew. I put it together, but have had constant trouble with steering, Spur gear, etc. The servo couldn't turn the wheels and I couldn't center the drive. I had to loosen screws on the K parts and also on the steering mechanism to free-up the turning action. Is this normal? Did I leave something out in the build or build it wrong?

I have read this forum through page 39 and still going. I have ordered the Kimbrough Futaba Servo, steering kit (TAM 54095), Carbon reinforced K Parts, and the universal drive shaft set of parts for the front end.

Hopefully, these parts will fix my problems

Main question: I want to buy a second car that I can run, his friends can run, and that my son can run when the Tamiya TA05 VII isn't working (which currently is five minutes of run time for five hours of pit crew work).

How reliable is the Tamiya TA05VII? Should I risk buying a second one, or should I by another brand? He wants to use the cars to race on carper this winter and on asphalt this summer. He will be racing with either stock motor or 17.5 Turn call, because he is a beginner/novice.

Any suggestions for what to purchase for the second car?

Thanks!
novice10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:10 PM   #1445
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice10 View Post
I purchased a TA05VII (Lambo) for my son. I am the pit crew. I put it together, but have had constant trouble with steering, Spur gear, etc. The servo couldn't turn the wheels and I couldn't center the drive. I had to loosen screws on the K parts and also on the steering mechanism to free-up the turning action. Is this normal? Did I leave something out in the build or build it wrong?

I have read this forum through page 39 and still going. I have ordered the Kimbrough Futaba Servo, steering kit (TAM 54095), Carbon reinforced K Parts, and the universal drive shaft set of parts for the front end.

Main question: I want to buy a second car that I can run, his friends can run, and that my son can run when the Tamiya TA05 VII isn't working (which currently is five minutes of run time for five hours of pit crew work).

How reliable is the Tamiya TA05VII? Should I risk buying a second one, or should I by another brand? He wants to use the cars to race on carper this winter and on asphalt this summer. He will be racing with either stock motor or 17.5 Turn call, because he is a beginner/novice.

Thanks!
A Tamiya Mini...a M03 or 05. The car is bullet proof and great fun! Great for a beginner to learn on and easy on Dad's pocket book. You keep the TA05 for yourself. As for his friends find a cheap used mini for them.
TQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:12 PM   #1446
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to fullout

Quote:

Thanks!
I found the same problem with my ta05ver 2. what i did is tighten the posts tight to the chassis then you can sand down the k stiffener a little bit where it meets the steering posts. then when tightening down the k stiffener keep checking for free play in the steering system(best to disconnect servo while doing this). tighten the screws just tight enough so that the steering mechanism falls under its own weight. In general all the parts should move so freely that they fall under there own weight, any binding in the car will wreak havoc in handling.

if your having spur gear issues, the rule of thumb is run a piece of paper in between the pinion and spur to create the proper gear mesh.

Sorry to break the news but those parts will not solve these problems, careful building will. However those parts do have there benefits. Hopefully your ordered the steel universals as the aluminium ones are better suited in the rear.

As far as reliability goes the ta05 is as good as any other really. If your sun is semi serious and wants to continue i would seriously consider a higher end kit, the ta05 has it's limitations.

Personally for durability i would recommend a tc5
if you want easier setup and good online support plus durability xray
if you want a great handling car but not as reliable (in my opinion parts wear quick and some plastics are brittle) a tamiya 416. These have been my experiences anyway.
fullout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:42 PM   #1447
Tech Addict

I'm getting a mini so I to get another need a receiver. On tower I found a couple that come with two steering servos for $10-20 more.
I'm just wondering if these will fit in the TA05v.2 (I'm assuming if it fits in it, it will also fit the M-05 chassis)

R603FF 3-channel Receiver with either:

Two S3004 Standard Ball Bearing Servos:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVVT1&P=7

Two S3010 Standard High-Torque Servos

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVVT2&P=7

The servos I'm using now are s3003 standard

Which one would be better?(I'm guessing they will fit because they're all standard sizes
would the S3010 be better than the one I'm using now?

Thanks.
Zac_with_no_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:41 PM   #1448
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodys3b View Post
We don't have any TCS races around here so I'm no expert on the rules but I believe that the rules are pretty specific about most of the things you are asking about. If you don't have a copy of the rules, get one before you start buying things like speed controllers motors and tires. That being said, I do have a fair amount of experience with the TT-01 and TA-05 V2.

You can use the speedo that comes with the TT-01. All you really need is tires, shocks and steering tie rod upgrades. The plastic CVA super mini shocks work fine and are not very expensive. You will want to buy ball bearings for it as well.

Can I ask where you ordered the speed passion system from? I could use another motor/speedo
Thanks for your input on the TT-01. I got the Speed Passion from http://www.tqrcracing.com/.
SpeedChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:36 AM   #1449
Tech Rookie

Default Sanding and rebuilding mostly worked

I sanded the K part, took the front end completely apart, put in a new Kimbrough medium servo saver, and checked the play in the steering mechanism at each stage of the build. It finally turns both ways and centers to go straight. However, the turning radius one direction is much tighter than the other direction (three feet radius versus six feet radius). Any ideas how to make the left and right turning radius equal?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullout View Post
I found the same problem with my ta05ver 2. what i did is tighten the posts tight to the chassis then you can sand down the k stiffener a little bit where it meets the steering posts. then when tightening down the k stiffener keep checking for free play in the steering system(best to disconnect servo while doing this). tighten the screws just tight enough so that the steering mechanism falls under its own weight. In general all the parts should move so freely that they fall under there own weight, any binding in the car will wreak havoc in handling.

if your having spur gear issues, the rule of thumb is run a piece of paper in between the pinion and spur to create the proper gear mesh.

Sorry to break the news but those parts will not solve these problems, careful building will. However those parts do have there benefits. Hopefully your ordered the steel universals as the aluminium ones are better suited in the rear.

As far as reliability goes the ta05 is as good as any other really. If your sun is semi serious and wants to continue i would seriously consider a higher end kit, the ta05 has it's limitations.

Personally for durability i would recommend a tc5
if you want easier setup and good online support plus durability xray
if you want a great handling car but not as reliable (in my opinion parts wear quick and some plastics are brittle) a tamiya 416. These have been my experiences anyway.
novice10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:59 PM   #1450
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

For touring,which is better?Front one way unit or front direct coupling?
shikakae123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:04 PM   #1451
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shikakae123 View Post
For touring,which is better?Front one way unit or front direct coupling?
Read some pages back, it has been discussed before. Do a search on this thread for direct coupling, might find it easier.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:12 PM   #1452
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to fullout

Quote:
I sanded the K part, took the front end completely apart, put in a new Kimbrough medium servo saver, and checked the play in the steering mechanism at each stage of the build. It finally turns both ways and centers to go straight. However, the turning radius one direction is much tighter than the other direction (three feet radius versus six feet radius). Any ideas how to make the left and right turning radius equal?

Thanks!
if it's turning tighter to the right then the left, i would say it's the position of your servo saver.When your wheel on your remote is in the neutral position the servo horn should be angled slightly inwards towards the center of the chassis.

http://www.tamiya.ca/manuals/rc/ta05_ver2.pdf

page 13
fullout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:02 AM   #1453
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Quote:

Thanks!
Make sure at the servo saver that the tie rod is at 90 degrees. This will give equal throw left and right. If that doesn't cure things then you have some other issue in the steering mechanism, perhaps binding or other.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:52 AM   #1454
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Is the Futaba 9551 servo good for touring cars?
shikakae123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:57 AM   #1455
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by shikakae123 View Post
Is the Futaba 9551 servo good for touring cars?
Yes. One of the best.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote