R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-05-2010, 04:47 AM   #1306
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Can anyone please tell me what are the most essential tamiya hop up parts needed for the tamiya TA05 ver. II chassis?
shikakae123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:00 AM   #1307
Tech Adept

What hop up parts must I get if I am playing touring?
Old 10-05-2010, 10:17 AM   #1308
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shikakae123 View Post
Can anyone please tell me what are the most essential tamiya hop up parts needed for the tamiya TA05 ver. II chassis?
Sorry if I'm wrong, because I just got my TA05v.2 running and still don't know much..

Here's some of Tamiya's suggested(I deleted some):

• #1 Item 42102 TRF Special Damper (Hard Black Coating) 4pcs.
• #2 Item 53833 TA05 Front One-Way Unit (OR you can get the spool and still use the pulley listed below)
• #3 Item 53992 TA05-IFS Aluminum Rocker Nut
• #4 Item 53993 TA05-IFS Aluminum Rocker Arm Set
• #5 Item 54023 DB01 Front One-Way Pulley (37T)

I do know the servo saver and dogbones cause problems..

Almost everyone has suggested to get a kimbrough servo saver. I have #114 which is white(fits a futaba), but I know there is also a black one that others use. I don't know if there is a difference other than color.

Also, universals or CVDS(I think same thing?) instead of using the dogbones.
Here's a link for what they look like :
http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...id=619&id=9042

Hope that helps..
Zac_with_no_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:33 AM   #1309
Tech Master

Tamiya starts to put on r/c line up volume quarterly/seasonly. It really helps the buyers to view the various upgrade options. Examples: suspension upgrade, transmission upgrade, chassis upgrade, etc.
superspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:09 PM   #1310
Tech Master

You probably will want to upgrade the steering set to aluminum as well, from the plastic, and get the carbon-reinforced parts sprue with the steering link on it (or the carbon fibre one, if you don't want to use the other parts from the sprue). It'll help eliminate a little bit of slop in the steering.
kdeselms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:51 PM   #1311
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzyracer View Post
Be happy we get different options as far as r/c stuff goes. high-end line, budget line, conversions, etc... they all have it's advantages and disadvantages... but we all have them as options and it's great.
Yep. I totally agree as well. The only version of the TA05 that made it into the TRF class is the TA05MS, which looks more like a Tamiya version of an AE TC5, which also isn't that great of a car either, VS others on the market.
Tamiya Frog from 1985 - Kyosho Outlaw Ultima ST - AE RC10T (cow hide LOL) - Tamiya M03-L Mini Cooper - Tamiya 1/24 Tamtech Posche 962C - Tamiya 1/24 Tamtech Ferrari Testarossa - Tamiya TA05-R - AE TC5FT
dragnse7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:21 PM   #1312
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by shikakae123 View Post
What hop up parts must I get if I am playing touring?
Check the local track first, and buy the proper motor and tires before anything else.

0.1, 0.3mm x 3mm shims - for the suspension arm hinge pins. Take out the slop and play as necessary.

Ball bearing steering - either buy two of the bearings, the same size as the single ones that fit in the middle of the diff, and replace them with the bronze bushings. In the long run, it's more cost effective to buy the blue aluminum racing steering set.

Stronger belts - Depending on your FDR, get Aramid belts or the low-fiction or IFS belts. All the TA05 series (except the MS) belts work, but if you use belts other than your version of your car, set the belt tensioner settings right for proper belt run and torsion/ tension.

Kingpins - throw out the kit parts and use TA04 kingpins (Unless they came w/ the kit I guess.)

Shocks - Anything aluminum is better than the plastic dampers that come with the kit.

Aluminum Suspension Bridge Mounts - I am currently trying to write a post on how to use almost any mount as a Bridge mount, and how to properly install it in a TA05 series car, using TRF415 parts and a pair of proper spacers.. My R uses two bridge 1A mounts, and a 1A and 1D outside aluminum mount. I have other TRF415 series suspension mounts, but so far I'm good. I drove myself mad to find out how Japan did it, and now I finally know their secrets. Stay tuned on that . . .

TA05 series stabilizer bars F/R - get that full set, the track could always change

Tire Traction Compound - for either rubber or foam tires. Paragon seems to work great in my region, so that's what I use as well.

Universal Swing Shafts - i would suggest starting with the 46mm ones for the V2. Get rid of them bones!

Servo Saver - I'm good, but people often replace this (I'm not immediately sure if it comes w/ a high torque servo saver) Kimborough seems to be the solution.

If you're going to use a brushless motor and lipo setup, I would also suggest Team Associated's lead weights, to counter the heavier weight on the motor's side of the car.

Also, if you don't care about brakes, get a one-way front diff. The center one-way makes it 200% more efficient if you've got the bucks. Stray away from spools/ direct coupling unless you're driving in a straight line, making run speed records, and you've had TONS of practice not crashing.

Good luck!!!
Tamiya Frog from 1985 - Kyosho Outlaw Ultima ST - AE RC10T (cow hide LOL) - Tamiya M03-L Mini Cooper - Tamiya 1/24 Tamtech Posche 962C - Tamiya 1/24 Tamtech Ferrari Testarossa - Tamiya TA05-R - AE TC5FT

Last edited by dragnse7en; 10-05-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:33 PM   #1313
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeselms View Post
You probably will want to upgrade the steering set to aluminum as well, from the plastic, and get the carbon-reinforced parts sprue with the steering link on it (or the carbon fibre one, if you don't want to use the other parts from the sprue). It'll help eliminate a little bit of slop in the steering.
That part can come from the K parts tree (carbon reinf.), and works great too. I didn't have to spend anything extra at all

Last edited by dragnse7en; 10-05-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:23 AM   #1314
Tech Adept

Thank you all so much.That helped me alot
Old 10-06-2010, 12:44 PM   #1315
Suspended

I couldn't stand it anymore. I lost my chance at winning an artoo version of the Droid 2, so I took my frustrations out today on the Tower Hobbies web site. I went there and ordered more stuff for my cars, and ordered a new kit.

If I can't be the first kid on the block with a cool smartphone, then I will be the first kid on the block with an #84159 TA05 V2-R!!!!!!!!!!!

Writhe in my cage of torment!!!!! Giggity giggity - I feel better already!!!

I will keep those pink spoked wheels for vintage sentiment . . . . lol - first thing to go . . .
Old 10-06-2010, 01:11 PM   #1316
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I am really looking into getting one of these cars. Can anyone tell me if a lipo, 2s with these dimensions will fit???

140mm x 26.5mm x 47mm
DuckStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:22 PM   #1317
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckStang View Post
I am really looking into getting one of these cars. Can anyone tell me if a lipo, 2s with these dimensions will fit???

140mm x 26.5mm x 47mm
Yep. A 2S 7.4V hardcase will fit great. I padded the battery compartment a little bit with some soft foam strips, to keep it nice tight and snug.

The CF lower deck also has slots in the front and rear of the battery compartment, so if you want, you can get rid of the battery strap and all the hardware on the chassis and strap the lipo in with tape.

Last edited by dragnse7en; 10-06-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:25 PM   #1318
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnse7en View Post
Yep. A 2S 7.4V hardcase will fit great. I padded the battery compartment a little bit with some soft foam strips, to keep it nice tight and snug.

The CF lower deck also has slots in the front and rear of the battery compartment, so if you want, you can get rid of the battery strap and all the hardware on the chassis and strap the lipo in with tape.

By any chance, do you race at RCM??? I could have sworn to god i saw your car on their site. If you do, when do you race??? I am getting into this stuff and would love some driving lessons.
DuckStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:42 PM   #1319
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckStang View Post
By any chance, do you race at RCM??? I could have sworn to god i saw your car on their site. If you do, when do you race??? I am getting into this stuff and would love some driving lessons.
LOL!!!!!! Well, you're half right - I've been buying and buying and tuning and tuning and got sick of speed run records and any parking lot I find.

I am the one. I've been dying and trying to find a ride to Enfield, and finally found one. I'm the one trying to pick the brains off the vet racers there to ask them racing tech stuff.

I have a TC5FT and very soon another wicked awesome Tamiya TA05, so you'll see all three of em at the track. Guarantee you'll see two this month -

the 17th I think?

Writhe in my cage of peanut butter!!!!!!

Hope to meet you there - love the Tamiya brotherhood

RC Madness starts their on-road 4WD touring car season on October 17th; Enfield, CT. It's the first hit on google.

Classes:
17.5 BL/ 27T pro stock sedan rubber, no software MODS allowed for ESCs
13.5BL/ 19T MOD sedan foam, OPEN software for ESCs

Paragon tire traction compound friendly, both classes.
Free practice - that's better than Fitchburg

I want my own class, old skool; OPEN CLASS LIMITED; all 4WD sedans must have full-time diffs. 4 minute heats and a 6 minute main.
Add jumps, an underground tunnel to drive through, and fire hoops!!!!! YYYEAAAHHHHHHH wicked cool huh huhuhuhh huh huhu huhuuuh

Any motor, battery, and ESC - old skool open class!!!

Last edited by dragnse7en; 10-06-2010 at 06:19 PM. Reason: edited
Old 10-07-2010, 06:27 PM   #1320
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

TA05 V2-R Chassis Kit Pre-order link is up!