R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-17-2010, 06:26 PM   #706
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)
Default ta05 v's 415,416 in stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Furman View Post
the TA05 rocks in the stock class.. while the 416X is much better at running Mod.
Quote:
Nope the motor mounted towards the center helps handling... Weight doesn't make that much of a difference in brushless motors... Unless you are super competitive and NEVER make a mistake and your lap times are identical every lap.... Then maybe weight may have a play in the results.
interesting thoughts about the center motor mounting.

does anyone find they are getting better results with their TA05 v's their 415,416 in stock?
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:59 PM   #707
Tech Adept

Default hello again :d

did anyone have any idea what should it suit for the ta05 ver 2 on the front drive shaft if i change it to universal shaft (what model of shaft it suit) ...
sham55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:42 PM   #708
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Tamiya's TA05 46mm assembly universal shaft- KF53847
Tamiya's TB03 wheel outdrives.

Just get the TB03 universal shaft will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sham55 View Post
did anyone have any idea what should it suit for the ta05 ver 2 on the front drive shaft if i change it to universal shaft (what model of shaft it suit) ...
Akudou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:08 AM   #709
Tech Adept

Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akudou View Post
Tamiya's TA05 46mm assembly universal shaft- KF53847
Tamiya's TB03 wheel outdrives.

Just get the TB03 universal shaft will do.
thanks lex
sham55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:34 AM   #710
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks for the input on the motor mount. I have a caliper but didn't bother checking what was out of wack. Guess that would have been the smart thing to do. On the other hand, I can't find the flanged bearings available anywhere so if they are out of spec, I'll have to find a way to shim them.

I tend to disagree about weight being a factor in stock racing. With limited power, the most gains in speed are achieved with shedding weight. However, we have a minimum weight limit which we enforce. The high end cars are all covered with lead weights which pretty much makes all their pretty carbon bits just that..... pretty

My car in stock form with NiMH batteries is a bit over the weight limit. Should be near the limit with a few inexpensive carbon reinforced parts from Tamiya and a titanium screw kit. May have to get a few titanium turnbuckles as well but not sure. The point is, why spend all that money on carbon chassis and other carbon just to add weight?

Which brings me to another subject. LiPo batteries. I see the same thing happening with them at the track. Our cars all have the batteries on one side. Putting a LiPo in the car makes it under weight as well as off balanced. So, you spend big bucks on batteries and chargers to run LiPos and end up adding weight back into the car. I run some old 3000mah NiMH batteries and have more than enough to get through a 6 minute race.

Interesting stuff, no?
woodys3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:06 PM   #711
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodys3b View Post
So, you spend big bucks on batteries and chargers to run LiPos and end up adding weight back into the car. I run some old 3000mah NiMH batteries and have more than enough to get through a 6 minute race.

Interesting stuff, no?
Not if you go through hobbycity for your lipo needs! After discovering that place, I couldn't believe that getting a set of LiPo for cars actually comes out cheaper than using NiMH batteries, even if you buy the NiMHs that are onsale at hobbyshops!

However, I still have a fleet of healthy NiMH so I'm still using this "old" technology as well... My 3300mAH is more than enough for a good 10 minute run... It's crazy how little power on-road takes versus off-road since the terrain is not constantly fighting the motor in on-road...

As for the 840 flanged here you go:

http://www.avidrc.com/product/?c=8&p=53

$1 a piece...
Old 01-18-2010, 07:26 PM   #712
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Which brings me to another subject. LiPo batteries. I see the same thing happening with them at the track. Our cars all have the batteries on one side. Putting a LiPo in the car makes it under weight as well as off balanced. So, you spend big bucks on batteries and chargers to run LiPos and end up adding weight back into the car. I run some old 3000mah NiMH batteries and have more than enough to get through a 6 minute race.

Interesting stuff, no?
Lipo's are night and day to NiMH in my opinion. Sure you have to add weights to make up the difference, but a lipo isn't just good for extra run time. They are more efficient and will last a lot longer than an NiMH battery would. A lipo also doesn't require discharging after every run. Some people use a lipo balancer, but really it isn't needed unless you run yuor Lipo into the ground.
Pingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:39 PM   #713
Tech Addict

Guess its too late since i want my car up and running already. Got the TRF 840 flange bearing. Cost me around usd$11 for 2 bearings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_chang79 View Post
Not if you go through hobbycity for your lipo needs! After discovering that place, I couldn't believe that getting a set of LiPo for cars actually comes out cheaper than using NiMH batteries, even if you buy the NiMHs that are onsale at hobbyshops!

However, I still have a fleet of healthy NiMH so I'm still using this "old" technology as well... My 3300mAH is more than enough for a good 10 minute run... It's crazy how little power on-road takes versus off-road since the terrain is not constantly fighting the motor in on-road...

http://www.avidrc.com/product/?c=8&p=53

$1 a piece...
Old 01-19-2010, 03:58 AM   #714
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_chang79 View Post

Avidrc

$1 a piece...
Thanks for the link Tom. Avid looks like a great resource.

I know I'm going to have to make the transition to LiPo sooner or later. NiMH as well as brushed motors are going the way of the dinosaur. But for now, my old brushed motor and NiMH sport packs are good enough to get me through the winter in the stock class in the V2. This summer, I would like to get a SC truck and race in the dirt. So, I'll need to make the transition then. Can someone please educate me on the terminology associated with LiPo batteries? The only thing I really understand is the Mah number. What does 2s, 3s,....6s mean? how about the numbers with a "c" after them? I think we have a limit at our track that I have to get smart on before I buy anything. What packs fit well into a V2 or are the same size as a 6 cell NiMH?

Hobby City certainly takes the price out of the equation. Like anything else electronic, the price comes down pretty rapidly as the new wears off.

Thanks again for the great info.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:53 PM   #715
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Can someone please educate me on the terminology associated with LiPo batteries? The only thing I really understand is the Mah number. What does 2s, 3s,....6s mean? how about the numbers with a "c" after them?
Sure,

2s means two in series, 3s means three in series.

1p means one in parallel, 2p means two in parallel

25C means twenty five times the capacity for discharge rating. So a capacity of 5000mAH would give you a 125A (since 1000mA = 1A) discharge rating.

Each cell of LiPo are nominally 3.7V. So a

2s2p 5000mAH 15C would be:

7.4V pack made of four 3.7V 2500mAH internally (two pairs in parallel to give you the capacity of 5000mAH), with a discharge rate of 75 amps.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:33 PM   #716
Tech Regular

Thanks Tom. Great explanation!
Old 01-19-2010, 07:51 PM   #717
Tech Addict

Am looking up the net for kimbrough's servo saver. Anyone knows the link to it?
Old 01-20-2010, 04:04 AM   #718
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akudou View Post
Am looking up the net for kimbrough's servo saver. Anyone knows the link to it?
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...itecAirtronics
Old 01-23-2010, 04:49 PM   #719
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Talking

Alright.. this is how far I am until the rest of my Hop-Ups come in from Japan! And that LRP SXX Stock Spec should be in next week too!

ah.... so happy...

Chris Furman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:33 PM   #720
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Alright.. this is how far I am until the rest of my Hop-Ups come in from Japan! And that LRP SXX Stock Spec should be in next week too!

ah.... so happy...
All the money you spent on the bulkheads and motor mount, you could have had a 416. And you wouldn't have to hack up an expensive servo...
94eg! is offline   Reply With Quote