R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-17-2014, 09:24 PM   #2476
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

We have been running lipos in the v2 ta05. Lots of places to run it in SoCal.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:25 PM   #2477
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

You'll see s ton of TA05v2's running this weekend at the TCS Finals in Aliso Viejo.

Last edited by AngryRog; 08-17-2014 at 09:28 PM. Reason: spl
AngryRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:29 PM   #2478
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Yeah, I ran mine with LiPo a few times, but would love a CF/Graphite chassis for it... Do you guys know where I can get a Exotek EX05???

I would love to come spectate at the Tamiya TCS track??? Can you guys give me some more info on it?

Also, can you guys list some tracks where I can run my TA-05v2? The last time I ran it was at WCRC (RIP)...

EDIT: Thanks Hanzo! I'll Google those tracks, just saw your PM!
Old 08-18-2014, 03:19 PM   #2479
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Go to tamiya this weekend and watch. Go to cal racrway and tq racrway.
hanzo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:30 PM   #2480
Tech Elite

I'm going to definitely try to make it out there to watch the race. I live pretty close by.

Do you know what time it starts?

So I've been doing a bit of research on this chassis lately, and I've gathered that:

1) Tamiya has a fiber reinforced chassis, which is still plastic, but I imagine it's similar to the stuff that Losi and AE used on their off-road vehicles?

2) None of the 3Racing's TA-05 chassis will work with the Version 2? Seems like they only have flavors for regular TA-05, IFS, and IDF?

3) Exotek's EX05 seems the most ideal and the best CF/Graphite solution, does anyone know where I can get one of these? If they are truly sold out everywhere and no one is letting theirs go, does anyone have a mechanical or outline drawing of this chassis so maybe there's a possibility of getting it cut from a CNC shop?
Old 08-18-2014, 11:49 PM   #2481
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

The carbon lower deck uses carbon fibers molded into the plastics as opposed to just the stock deck with the fiberglass fibers.

The best cf solution for the ta05 is not going cf at all (IMHO). It just ruins the point of it being a ta05, and turns it into a wanna be trf417/8. If carbon is really what you are after the trfs do it so much better.

The exotek was the best option if your heart was set on a carbon deck ta05. But They are next to impossible to find anymore.
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:58 PM   #2482
Tech Addict

ta05v2 is still the preferred chassis for GT3 here in So Cal TCS series. TB03 is very good also. I think Tamiya should take a slight step back and take care of some of the quarks in the ta06, tb04 cars. ta06 seems too complicated and tb04 have gearing issues for 21.5... I'm sure they are capable chassis but some of these detail problem drive people away from the chassis before they can find the sweep spot on those.
tobyzhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:57 AM   #2483
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyzhang View Post
ta05v2 is still the preferred chassis for GT3 here in So Cal TCS series. TB03 is very good also. I think Tamiya should take a slight step back and take care of some of the quarks in the ta06, tb04 cars. ta06 seems too complicated and tb04 have gearing issues for 21.5... I'm sure they are capable chassis but some of these detail problem drive people away from the chassis before they can find the sweep spot on those.
anyone have a GT2/GT3 setup for the v2 for carpet?? I'm still running the IFS setup and prefer to keep it that way
Old 08-21-2014, 03:23 PM   #2484
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
anyone have a GT2/GT3 setup for the v2 for carpet?? I'm still running the IFS setup and prefer to keep it that way
I have a setup that's pretty decent for me at TQ raceway. Got me third at regional TCS GT3 and i think the fastest car on the track. Only if i can put it together...

front:
yellow spring much more 550 weight oil
yellow sway bar
5 droop from bottom of arm
5 ride height
1.5 camber,
2nd hole from outside in the upper turn buckle hole. 2.5mm spacer under ball stud.
no spacers anywhere on the rocker
C/C block
spool

rear:
yellow spring, much more 500 weight oil
red sway bar
5 ride height
1.5 camber
3rd hole from outside in upper turn buckle hole. 2mm spacer under both inside ball stud and outside ball stud
second hole from outside of the shock tower
XA/D block
ball diff.

Axio corolla body with tamiya scooped wing.
tamiya type C tires

some may make the mistake of running too stiff of a suspension on carpet for gt3. My experience is gt3 do not need too stiff of a spring on carpet. I might go to blue/yellow for 17.5 and maybe white/blue for 13.5 to deal with extra front to back weight transfers. Car performs more predictably with yellow and usually can carry more corner speed.

I might also suggest to use front gear diff with heavy diff fluid to improve turn in speed but i did not have the time and parts at the competition to test.

TQ's traction is not the highest out there, so if your track have more grip, try harder springs.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:04 AM   #2485
Tech Champion

Quote:
I have a setup that's pretty decent for me at TQ raceway. Got me third at regional TCS GT3 and i think the fastest car on the track. Only if i can put it together...

front:
yellow spring much more 550 weight oil
yellow sway bar
5 ride height
1.5 camber,
2nd hole from outside in the upper turn buckle hole. 2.5mm spacer under ball stud.
no spacers anywhere on the rocker
C/C block
spool

rear:
yellow spring, much more 500 weight oil
red sway bar
5 ride height
1.5 camber
3rd hole from outside in upper turn buckle hole. 2mm spacer under both inside ball stud and outside ball stud
second hole from outside of the shock tower
XA/D block
ball diff.

Axio corolla body with tamiya scooped wing.
tamiya type C tires

some may make the mistake of running too stiff of a suspension on carpet for gt3. My experience is gt3 do not need too stiff of a spring on carpet. I might go to blue/yellow for 17.5 and maybe white/blue for 13.5 to deal with extra front to back weight transfers. Car performs more predictably with yellow and usually can carry more corner speed.

I might also suggest to use front gear diff with heavy diff fluid to improve turn in speed but i did not have the time and parts at the competition to test.

TQ's traction is not the highest out there, so if your track have more grip, try harder springs.
cool... thanks!! I'll have to give it a try - going to be using it for USGT
Old 08-26-2014, 08:07 AM   #2486
Tech Champion

Quote:

I will be running the chassis is USGT, so a 21.5 motor for me just like GT3

I have a gear diff with 1M fluid in there, as well as a spool - so I'll start with the diff and see how much I like it

any ideas what would be close to the much more shock oils you're using? I know there used to be something floating around rctech that showed the conversions, but I haven't tried looking for it in YEARS!!
Old 08-26-2014, 09:28 AM   #2487
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
To my preferences i've Always been keen on the TA06 chassis.
With a good setup it's as fast as a TA05 (ver.II)
Up till now, no TA05 version has been able to keep up with my TA06.
I also have a TA05R and i'm as fast as with my TA06 PRO.
It just depends on how good the car has been setup, but to me a TA06 is equal in performance as a TA05.
In fact, when i was running my TA06 on an indoor carpet track with a slower motor in a slower class (GT2) i was Always able to drive in to a top 3 spot of the higher class with my GT2 car.
Been running GT2 and GT1 races for many years so i really do know what i'm saying.
addicted2blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:56 PM   #2488
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2blue View Post
To my preferences i've Always been keen on the TA06 chassis.
With a good setup it's as fast as a TA05 (ver.II)
Up till now, no TA05 version has been able to keep up with my TA06.
I also have a TA05R and i'm as fast as with my TA06 PRO.
It just depends on how good the car has been setup, but to me a TA06 is equal in performance as a TA05.
In fact, when i was running my TA06 on an indoor carpet track with a slower motor in a slower class (GT2) i was Always able to drive in to a top 3 spot of the higher class with my GT2 car.
Been running GT2 and GT1 races for many years so i really do know what i'm saying.
I will probably experiment with either a TA06 or TB04 soon in the future. So far no top contenders in So Cal TCS is using a TA06. support for TA05 will eventually die out so will be on a look out for next car.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:38 PM   #2489
Tech Master

Could someone tell me if fits ta06 gear diff?

Best regards
mac853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:25 AM   #2490
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac853 View Post
Could someone tell me if fits ta06 gear diff?

Best regards
I don't believe so.
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote