Like Tree130Likes

TA-05 ver.2

Old 10-15-2012, 09:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FNG RIDER
If the belts and pulleys are new, then make sure the diff ratchet adjusters are properly installed. If they are reversed or the outside is assembled inside the belts will be loose. double check everything per the instructions manual.
How do I know this? Don't ask!! hahaha!

When I assembled mine correctly the belts were very tight. I had to back it one or two notches.
I did the same thing when I built mine....
Old 10-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by cdwilliams1
I did the same thing when I built mine....
haha I hope you didn't assemble the diffs backward too. Dam Tamiya vague misleading technical writing. The must be farming out their writing off shore.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (95%+)

Originally Posted by rescue119
zaraz does that have the one way center diff?
no, its the normal 18t center diff pulleys, no one installed, its the black pulleys instead of the white which turn yellow, black pulleys look more cleaner, imo.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:50 PM
Tech Regular

Default TA05v2 first practice at Tamiya

Took my TA05v2 out on it's first practice shake down today. Track was a little damp. My current set up is TRF shocks yellow springs, Reedy Sonic 17.5, ESC Novac Edge, Sorex 36R pink inserts, NSX body. Geared at 82/44.

I ran a 80 Percent throttle to get the feel of the car on a slippery track on brand new tires. It was a little pushy on the tighter turns.
I pulled it in after about 6 minutes. temp 146 w/no fan. front wheel nut back off, and diffs felt loose. also lost set screw to front sway bar.

front diff was loose and probably stripped the diff screw. It also felt over geared topping off at the end of the long straight and sluggish on the tight corners.

Next time I will try a spool and 90/46 gearing. some adjustments for a little more steering.

I have pictures but computer is not allowing uploading
Old 10-25-2012, 10:42 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey guys, are the Aluminum Rocker Arms a performance upgrade or are they just bling?
Old 10-25-2012, 10:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

They come with bearings, don't they? The steering could be a millionth second faster.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:02 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by edhchoe
They come with bearings, don't they? The steering could be a millionth second faster.
Ive got bearings with the hardend plastic V2 R arms that Im thinking of swapping back in. Im just not a fan of how the aluminium versions look but I dont wana swap em out if there is going to be some kind of loss.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (95%+)

Originally Posted by Glarke
Ive got bearings with the hardend plastic V2 R arms that Im thinking of swapping back in. Im just not a fan of how the aluminium versions look but I dont wana swap em out if there is going to be some kind of loss.
the aluminum ones just felt more responsive, as the way I have mine there is absolutly no play in them and yet smooth, with the plastic ones the more you tighten the more warped they got, so I would keep the aluminum ones in
Old 10-26-2012, 06:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Next time I will try a spool and 90/46 gearing. some adjustments for a little more steering.
A spool will not help your steering on a slippery track! Just build your car well and go from there.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:03 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by wtcc
A spool will not help your steering on a slippery track! Just build your car well and go from there.
It was only slippery on misty rain day. Normally high traction. I am trying different set ups. I know the spool won't make it steer better, I want to see which set up I prefer. Session 2 tomorrow, will try a few small changes to get it to rotate and accelerate faster out of the tight turns. My main goal is to get more track time to get used to driving this car.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:44 AM
Tech Master

Cool Tamiya Track set-up

It was only slippery on misty rain day. Normally high traction. I am trying different set ups. I know the spool won't make it steer better, I want to see which set up I prefer. Session 2 tomorrow, will try a few small changes to get it to rotate and accelerate faster out of the tight turns. My main goal is to get more track time to get used to driving this car.
Today should be better traction than last week. Spools work well at Tamiya because you can go hard into the corners then slam on the brakes just before you hit the turns. This driving style isn't for everyone. I have been using the gear diff up front with some success which gives me much more corner speed but have gone back to the spool. I guess my driving style dictates using a spool . But , only lap times will determine what is the fastest around the track! We do have a lap counter at the track at times. Not sure if we will have it hooked up today.But, for now use what ever feels the best for your driving then go to other combinations to see what your fastest times.
As, for gearing with the Reedy, I prefer 3.8 FDR. Although Ive gone as low as 3.5 but only run 5 min. or it will overheat the motor even with two fans. After 5 minutes you can feel the power dropping off because of motor temp.
Other than that you seem to be headed in the right direction, just run laps!
Just my 2$
Old 10-27-2012, 06:54 PM
Tech Regular

Max power and the set up crew big thanks for setting up the track today! Today was session 2, had a blast today!

I had a couple of issues with the car. Special thanks to Steve Wang for helping me with my diff that I assembled incorrectly and for the tires. Thanks again.

I also had a radio glitch in front of the drivers stand all day, will switch to my airtonics and hope this solves it. I like the spool, it really pulls coming out of the turns. I doubt if I will ever learn to brake with it. so I will try to scrub the speed until it rotates.

I ran 3.9 run out today. felt punchy but the fast guys would nail me on the straight. I probably stay 3.9 until I get my timing. When the battery was fresh, I was behind the car most of the time. If I hit a corner correctly it would really punched to the next corner, where I would overshoot it. I was all over the place a couple of times. Note to self, just keep driving, it will all come together. I felt it every once in a while today; )

The car felt fast, I finally got it to rotate, but the glitching was not to good. Looking forward to Speedtech GCR!

Last edited by FNG RIDER; 10-27-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Glarke
Hey guys, are the Aluminum Rocker Arms a performance upgrade or are they just bling?
I could not tell the difference in use but the aluminum sets do look nice~!
Old 10-29-2012, 03:12 PM
Tech Regular

My receiver was taking a dump, I have a spare. I will go back to 3.8 roll out and try to get a bit more steering. Maybe ditch the front swaybar. Anyway see y'all at the GCR V this weekend!

Update 11/6: not receiver per se, voltage drain on receiver caused glitching. Addition of Capacitor to receiver, solved this issue. Thanks to help of fellow racers and Jeff at Speedtechrc for assistance in resolving this. I never thought 17.5 would draw too much Hehe know I know what the cap included with the Novak edge is for; )

Im thinking 36rs were to hard, 3 mins into final it started steering, and I started hitting the islands.

all in all I finished and learned a lot.

Last edited by FNG RIDER; 11-06-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Guys I'm lookin for a TA05 roller chassis. If anyone is interested i selling one please pm me.
Thansk

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.