Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree130Likes

TA-05 ver.2

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 09:48 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty
What class are you running? (...because I'm wondering this as well)
Supposed to be TC non-timing - but I have a 13.5 that I had to get to race on carpet and I can't buy another motor. So they might put me in open mod or something, I don't know..
Old 05-15-2011, 05:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi, just sharing what my 10 year old daughter did to her Ta05 Mach GoGoGo.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:44 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tiko
Has anyone tried the Spec-R Gear-Diff for the TA05 and will it fit the TA05v2 chassis.

Thanks.
Did you already tried the spec-r TA-05 gear diff for the TA-05v2??

And .....is it any good?? Or should I wait for the TRF gear diff unit II
Old 05-15-2011, 01:27 PM
Tech Regular

I've fitted my TA05 ver 2 with X12Octa 5.5T motor mated with and LRP TC Specs v2. I've upgraded most of the components leaving only the TRF black shocks to be available at the LHS. After assembling the kit, I've realized two things...

1. after upgrading the suspension mounts, ceramics diff balls, steel outdrives, alum motor mount, servo mounts, 2 bulkheads, steel universals for the front and the rear, chassis brace, and rocker arms...90% of the plastic kit is still in the box. Why didnt Tamiya include all these parts in the kit? It turned out to be $120++ MORE than my own T3 2011. I might as well go for the Exotek chassis while I am busy spending on this kit. It hasnt even touched an actual racetrack.

2. My TRF511 had verything except the ceramic balls to make it race ready, a bit pricey for a buggy but i dont mind spending ONCE for racing. Having to return to the LHS for parts upgrade made me reconsider whether this was a good purchase or am I better off with the TRF417?

3. I'm looking for better gearing options from the stock tamiya gear and spur. I'm running on a medium sized parking lot with medium tractions wheres sometimes its a bit dusty. Is the X12 Octa 5.5 a bit overkill? I have 48pitch spurs and 64pitch spurs, which would be a good startup with 6200 60C batteries?

Thanks
Old 05-15-2011, 04:22 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by BigBellyCat
1. after upgrading the suspension mounts, ceramics diff balls, steel outdrives, alum motor mount, servo mounts, 2 bulkheads, steel universals for the front and the rear, chassis brace, and rocker arms...90% of the plastic kit is still in the box. Why didnt Tamiya include all these parts in the kit? It turned out to be $120++ MORE than my own T3 2011. I might as well go for the Exotek chassis while I am busy spending on this kit. It hasnt even touched an actual racetrack.
I think it's because they use the same plastics leaves(IDK what they're called) for multiple models. I guess it saves them money by not making specific model plastics leaves for each model.

Sorry, I'm not experienced enough to answer the other questions.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:25 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rccartips
Hi, just sharing what my 10 year old daughter did to her Ta05 Mach GoGoGo.
That reminds me of my sisters clear-body she painted when my whole family raced back in 2005. She tried hand painting an image of the family cat on it.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JD Skyline
Did you already tried the spec-r TA-05 gear diff for the TA-05v2??

And .....is it any good?? Or should I wait for the TRF gear diff unit II
No I haven't tried it yet.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:26 AM
Tech Adept

Somebody else any experience with a spec-r geardiff for the
TA-05verII??
If so are you using the TA05 geardiff or the 417/416 geardiff??
Old 05-16-2011, 11:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Tamiya Pricing

Anyone noticed the kit price has been increasing over the past 2 years? We have three TA05 Version 2 kits at LHS, they are very hard to sell. It's almost to the point that we might build them and make them RTRs. Even using cheapest electronics gear, the price will probably come out to be $350 per car.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:41 AM
Tech Regular

Since the 80s Tamiya kits have always been about quality and I personally dont mind paying top dollar for a fully race ready kit. But for the past 2 years, their mid range kits doesnt seem to be up to the quality I'd expect. Some of the plastic trees have excess flashing and I dont know why Tamiya still insist on using Philips head screws for most of their hardware. I have 3 tamiya kits the DB01R, the TRF511 and now a brand spanking new TA05 V2 which hasnt seen any action till the upgraded option parts are available at my LHS. I dont see any defects on their option parts from their standard blue anodizing, packaging, precision machining etc so IMO i think they make more money from selling upgrades.
Until tamiya has produced more "TRF" quality kits which includes all the upgraded parts, I'll stick to the upper range of tamiya cars
Old 05-17-2011, 06:53 AM
Tech Master

To BigBellyCat,

Tamiya Hop-Up option parts are pretty expensive that MSRP price will not get anyone to buy them. A set of TRF dampers set has MSRP of $88. I agree with you, they make more money by offering all the hop-up options. The spare parts tree are good for profit too because most of the time, people only need one or two particular part off the parts tree. It's tricky for LHS to decide what to carry, kits and parts wise for Tamiya mid-range stuff.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:21 PM
Tech Addict

Any input on changing set-up from carpet to asphalt?
Old 05-17-2011, 04:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skadoosh
Does anyone run this for drifting? If so, what ESC or motor do you recommend?
I'm running a novak 10.5 ballistic/kinetic esc, only b/c that's what I had bought before I ever thought of r/c drifting. in all honesty, I wouldn't sweat motor/esc choice, since almost anything can get the ta05v2 drifting pretty well, whether it's brushed or brushless. I also have a ta05ifs running the stock slow as balls tamiya silver can motor and abs pipes for tires, and it still gets sideways pretty easily. Just grab a motor/esc and get out there and have some fun.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:59 AM
Tech Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by superspeed
To BigBellyCat,

Tamiya Hop-Up option parts are pretty expensive that MSRP price will not get anyone to buy them. A set of TRF dampers set has MSRP of $88. I agree with you, they make more money by offering all the hop-up options. The spare parts tree are good for profit too because most of the time, people only need one or two particular part off the parts tree. It's tricky for LHS to decide what to carry, kits and parts wise for Tamiya mid-range stuff.
Yea, its funny becoz i have one of those vintage ads from Tamiya with the background voice saying "TAMIYA, FIRST IN QUALITY AROUND THE WORLD"
I think they may have lost it this since the 90s with the exception of the TRF cars.
One advantage is that the parts trees are mighty cheap and can make do on several kits like the ones on my DB01 and the 511. I dont have a problem ordering the plastic part trees, the tricky part would be to coordinate the arrival of these parts before a major race!
Old 05-19-2011, 10:26 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Zac_with_no_K
Any input on changing set-up from carpet to asphalt?
The basic idea is to soften the car's suspension and okay to have a bit more of chassis flex.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.