R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-21-2011, 03:20 PM   #1681
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitrc View Post
Don't worry - you're not the first person to miss the "twist the diff" arrow!

It's a bit of a modern Tamiya trademark. Did it myself on my Durga build - and I have been building ball diffs almost non-stop for the past 20 years so have no excuses!

The only other curiousity in a TA-05 build is modifying the servo case. Apart from that it should all fall together.
Well, it is nice to know that I am not alone in missing the "twist the diff" arrow. Fixing the other diff turned out to be quite painless. I guess the experience working on diffs over the weekend was a good thing.

Two questions, if I may:

1) I vaguely remember how to tighten a pan car diff, any difference in how to check tightness on a TC diff?

2) Any suggestions on building the shocks?
I plan to use AE silicon shock oil, 60wt front & 40 wt rear, with 2 hole pistons as a starting point. Blue springs in the front, yellow in the rear. This combo worked in a prior spec class.

My local track has a very high grip, indoor, asphalt surface and is about 100x48. The track layout is changed every 4-6 weeks and is usually pretty technical with one longish straight.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:54 PM   #1682
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencason View Post
Well, it is nice to know that I am not alone in missing the "twist the diff" arrow. Fixing the other diff turned out to be quite painless. I guess the experience working on diffs over the weekend was a good thing.

Two questions, if I may:

1) I vaguely remember how to tighten a pan car diff, any difference in how to check tightness on a TC diff?

I plan to use AE silicon shock oil, 60wt front & 40 wt rear, with 2 hole pistons as a starting point. Blue springs in the front, yellow in the rear. This combo worked in a prior spec class.

My local track has a very high grip, indoor, asphalt surface and is about 100x48. The track layout is changed every 4-6 weeks and is usually pretty technical with one longish straight.
Rear diff should be set to a good balance of not slipping yet still rotating smoothly. Front diff should be set as tight as you dare. Generally I would start at hand-tight then 1/4 turn backed off on the rear diff, and 1/8 turn backed off on the front diff.

I'm sure your shock setting will be fine although personally I would start with the kit setup and work from there.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:17 PM   #1683
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:

Two questions, if I may:

Ben, for the coliseum i would recommend using 45-50 wt. in all four with 3 hole pistons all around. Once i get mine on the track i can help more but for now thats all i can really give, in the ss class the cars had no rear grip so you had to run softer oil in the back, with a ta-05 at the coliseum and the 40 compound rubber tires we are going to use, you will most likely be fighting for more front traction, with 36's in 17.5 boost that is how it is, i would imagine it may be worse with the 40's. Next time im at the track i can help you more if you need. and for silver can you will be able to run a pretty loose rear diff, since those motors dont make much power.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:45 AM   #1684
Tech Rookie

Quote:
I did not notice the twist in the arrow between the diagram of diff parts on left side of block 3 and the center picture of the assembled diff showing the insertion of the spring and long bolt to tighten the diff. I didn't flip the diff before I put in those pieces shown in the center picture.
Yeah I did the same thing. My excuse is it was the first car I've ever built
bugeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:07 AM   #1685
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default High posts ta05v2r

Whats the deal with the towering posts to clip the body too? Do i need them this high ? Can i cut them down so it looks nice at least?
theatriks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:14 AM   #1686
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Absolutely. Most body posts are generic which means they might actually fit a number of different Tamiya chassis. Just remember that body post heights will be different for different bodies. If you routinely change bodies, make sure you have spare posts or leave enough length to use them on other bodies.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:03 AM   #1687
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLD AS ICE View Post
for the coliseum i would recommend using 45-50 wt. in all four with 3 hole pistons all around.
Randy, that sounds like a good suggestion. I hadn't thought about the way the different cars would affect my shock build. I was just planning to use the shock setup from my SrSpec car since I had no other input yet.

I hope to have the TA05 on the road soon, this coming weekend might be possible but unlikely [just too much yet to do and too little time]. I'm sure I will be looking for tuning help when it hits the road so I'll find you and any body else willing to help. Cya at the track.

Ben
Old 03-22-2011, 11:05 AM   #1688
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeater View Post
Yeah I did the same thing. My excuse is it was the first car I've ever built
It sure is nice to know that I'm not the only person to stumble over that "twisted arrow". Misery loves company!
Old 03-22-2011, 11:12 AM   #1689
Tech Master

thanks for the response im gonna cut them rite now those god awful things
Old 03-22-2011, 11:48 AM   #1690
Tech Master

Default Spools ...Yay or nay

Hey just wondering if i should go with spools or not on my ta-05 2vr anyone use one on that model here and if so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:33 PM   #1691
Tech Master

im guessing nobody uses them then
Old 03-22-2011, 01:48 PM   #1692
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

It's not that. There's just a bunch of threads regarding spool use. Bottom line, a spool can be great depending on the track, your driving style, and a few other variables. You might want to check out the TA05 threads and see what the folks are suggesting. You could also post the question there as they have more experience with that particular chassis. Asking everybody will just get you a heap of opinions.
Here's a thread for the 05 v2
TA-05 ver.2

05 IFS
Tamiya TA05 IFS

TA05
Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #1693
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)
Lightbulb

Instead of posting a new thread every now and then, please use the search to find the thread you are looking for. You will not get much feedback if the answer has been discussed already.

Search! My friend.
eComet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:24 PM   #1694
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I use a spool in my touring car and my VTA. My mini has a ball diff that is so tight it might as well be a spool. Nothing beats being able to full throttle it out of a corner.
Timbulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:15 PM   #1695
Tech Master

thanks for the replie timbulb