R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-22-2011, 06:16 PM   #1636
Tech Adept

is this a good newbe car?
is it easy to set up? (carpet40x70)
is there any parts i should buy if i pick this car up?
urban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:38 PM   #1637
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi Urban,

It's a good newbie car. But difficult to build, my 9 year old daughter would not have been able to do it on her own. I had to help her.

Setup I would say stick to kit suggestion, then tune with tires. Carpet, maybe try the tamiya M2 tires with hard shaped inserts.

Buy spare spur gears and pinions to adjust gearing.

hth.
http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:41 PM   #1638
Tech Elite

My daughter's new Ta05 ver.2 IFS Mach Gogogo.
Attached Thumbnails
TA-05 ver.2-tamiya-rc-ta05-v2-mach-gogogo.jpg   TA-05 ver.2-radio-control-tamiya-ta05-4wd.jpg   TA-05 ver.2-tamiya-ta05-ifsv2-chassis.jpg  
http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:21 PM   #1639
Tech Adept

rccartips
dude u rock
nice to see someone spending good quality time with there kids!!
urban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:04 PM   #1640
Tech Apprentice
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Got one of these coming in the mail and after glancing at the PDF manual for the car i gotta say it looks a bit intimidating to build. i've had some experience ripping apart my traxxas trucks but this looks to be a bit tricky. any tips/tricks for a noob? and does anyone know if someone has an picture walkthrough online on building one of these step by step? or maybe a youtube video?
I noticed one part of the build in the beginning it mentions something about gluing some parts together. will rubber cement work for that or do you guys recommend some other glue?
Gho5tRevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:33 AM   #1641
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gho5tRevo View Post
Got one of these coming in the mail and after glancing at the PDF manual for the car i gotta say it looks a bit intimidating to build. i've had some experience ripping apart my traxxas trucks but this looks to be a bit tricky. any tips/tricks for a noob? and does anyone know if someone has an picture walkthrough online on building one of these step by step? or maybe a youtube video?
I noticed one part of the build in the beginning it mentions something about gluing some parts together. will rubber cement work for that or do you guys recommend some other glue?
you don't need glue for the diff. that's not necessary. for setup use the stock settings but it is probably really helpful to download and read the xray setup book:

http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/sho...p?file_id=6143

it gives you the basics you need to know when setting up a tc.
platypus_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:35 AM   #1642
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

It looks intimidating, but if you take you time, read each step a couple of times... you will be fine.

Tamiya uses 1:1 drawings of the hardware (screws, nuts, washers Etc.); so make sure you match it up to the instructions each time.

I also find it helpful to keep the hardware seperated and sorted into sizes, screw types Etc. as I pull them out of their bags.

Good luck, take your time and enjoy building your kit.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:45 AM   #1643
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to VooDooPH

just be careful with the .5mm and .7mm M3 shims... they look and feel like there's no difference. the .7mm M3 shims are used when you build the front C-hubs and upright.

also be mindful of which holes you screw on the ball connectors to the arms...
Old 02-24-2011, 03:31 AM   #1644
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Also, when building the Diff's, pay close attention to the directions in step 3.

Look closely at the arrow that goes between the first assembly step to the second assembly step. Notice that the arrow is twisted. This is Tamiya's way of telling you to flip the diff over before inserting the screw. Also, the instructions don't tell you how to adjust the diffs. Tighten the screw until you can feel that the screw is fully compressed. Do not over tighten it. Now, back off the screw 1/4 turn. Check this after the first run and then often until you feel comfortable that it has broken in.

Don't be intimidated buy the build. Many of us Tamiya nuts can't wait to get our hands on a new kit because they are so enjoyable to build. The manuals are second to none. The parts fit is flawless. The only fly in the ointment is the phillips screws. Tamiya uses Japan spec screws which are slightly different than SAE screws. This means that our screwdrivers don't fit the screw heads perfectly. You can get them in, it's just frustrating. If you have a few extra dollars, you can order alan head screws from Tony's Screws. Just look at the manual and make a shopping list of what you need. Then go to Tony's site and order. He sells screws in bags of ten or so which means you will have some left over but for about $25 you can get enough screws to do the whole car and have plenty of spares left over.
woodys3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:04 PM   #1645
Tech Apprentice
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus_s13 View Post
you don't need glue for the diff. that's not necessary. for setup use the stock settings but it is probably really helpful to download and read the xray setup book:

http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/sho...p?file_id=6143

it gives you the basics you need to know when setting up a tc.
so just install those two pieces together like normal except without glue? or use some kind of diff lube or something?
Gho5tRevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:41 PM   #1646
Tech Regular

I am awaiting the arrival of a TA05 V2 kit and was wondering if the kit includes any shims for removing excessive slop or if I need to round up some?

If the shims are not included, can anyone recommend what I might need?
Old 02-24-2011, 02:38 PM   #1647
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gho5tRevo View Post
so just install those two pieces together like normal except without glue? or use some kind of diff lube or something?
i just use a bit of diff lube on both sides of the diff ring and that helps it stick.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:38 PM   #1648
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I have a hopped up TCS legal v1 TA05 which I won from the bay last year. It's been sitting around neglected because the body I want to run on it needs the IFS style suspension.

Well I recently acquired a used TA05 v2 with some minor upgrades so I'm wondering, which components from the original TA05 can be moved over to the V2? Which parts are the same or at least compatible? Does Tamiya have a list or has anyone produced one? I've searched this forum but haven't found anything very clear.

Any help would be much appreciated.
soulstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:55 PM   #1649
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulstice View Post
I have a hopped up TCS legal v1 TA05 which I won from the bay last year. It's been sitting around neglected because the body I want to run on it needs the IFS style suspension.

Well I recently acquired a used TA05 v2 with some minor upgrades so I'm wondering, which components from the original TA05 can be moved over to the V2? Which parts are the same or at least compatible? Does Tamiya have a list or has anyone produced one? I've searched this forum but haven't found anything very clear.

Any help would be much appreciated.
it depends which ta05 you have. if you have the newer reversible suspension setup (short reversible arms, 46mm swing shafts, c-hubs, knuckles, etc) then those can be reused. bulkheads too especially if you have the blue blingy ones. if you have the blue crack bling motor guard or graphite battery holder, those 2 can move over. other than that, not much. oh also front spool or one way, but you will have to switch the pulley over to the 37 tooth one.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:14 AM   #1650
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Carpet Setup for VTA?

Could a helpful send me a PM with a setup sheet or helpful advice for setting up the TA-05 ver.2 for VTA on medium to high grip carpet?
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote