R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-20-2009, 04:37 AM   #151
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I am curious if anyone else has seen any issues like mine.
I will admit I am a little disappointed with my TA05 build.
There is a lot of side to side movement of my rear diff (I am using the aluminum out drives 53919). I had to use (2) 0.3mm & (1) 0.2mm shims to remove most of the play, plus they have some up and down movement as well.
Same goes for the front spool (53877) that I am using.
Also, I have the front belt on its tightest setting to get decent belt tension and haven't even run the car yet; while the rear belt I had to loosen it up a little from the stock build settings indicated in the instructions
Old 08-20-2009, 06:47 AM   #152
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by xniperliams View Post
Hi guys. This TA05 v2 uses large diff plate that requires synthetic cement. I have never used this style. The small diff plate, because it is not round in the inner edge, does not require glue or cement. So does that mean if we are to change the diff plate, we have to change the diff cup, too? Or can we disassemble the plate and reuse the diff cup with a new plate? Thanks.

I have never glued the races to the outdrives ever, and had no problems. Older cars all had diff plates with round holes (i.e. no key to locate them) and the manuals didn't instruct to glue anything. The main problem I see if you glue the diff plates is that they may not sit exactly flat on the outdrives thus creating a high spot so the diff is not going to be smooth. My suggestion is that you prepeare the diff plate faces properly, sand them flat and nice, make sure they have no bumps (high spots) and adjust you diff correctly and you won't have any problems. The Yokomo outdrives I used in the past that had no locating key on the outdrives had a shiny polished surface for the balls to run on and the back was sanded to provide a keyed surface that ensured grip on the outdrives. I guess if you used 360 grit sandpaper or similar (perhaps 400 is more common) you would achieve the same result.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.

Last edited by niznai; 08-20-2009 at 10:33 PM.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:04 PM   #153
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slakr View Post
I am curious if anyone else has seen any issues like mine.
I will admit I am a little disappointed with my TA05 build.
There is a lot of side to side movement of my rear diff (I am using the aluminum out drives 53919). I had to use (2) 0.3mm & (1) 0.2mm shims to remove most of the play, plus they have some up and down movement as well.
Same goes for the front spool (53877) that I am using.
Also, I have the front belt on its tightest setting to get decent belt tension and haven't even run the car yet; while the rear belt I had to loosen it up a little from the stock build settings indicated in the instructions
That sounds a bit odd to me, because I haven't noticed anything like that on mine, I also added the aluminum diff outdrives in the rear of mine, & I also installed a front one-way(spools just aren't my thing, I'm more comfortable with one-ways), & while there is a TINY amount of side to side play, I don't consider it to be enough to worry about(& I haven't added any shims on either end of the car). Also, my belts seemed a wee bit tight when I built mine, so I actually loosened them one notch from the manual's suggested setting, & after a few weeks, they feel PERFECT now.....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:35 PM   #154
Tech Elite

slakr, don't tighten the belts before you run the car. I have found that the looser the belts, the better. After running it in a little bit, check again for slack and test if the belts skip by applying the brakes abruptly at full speed. You can readjust then if necessary.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:58 AM   #155
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitee View Post
If you use the aluminum out drives yes you will be able to, if you use the plastic out drives then it depends if you can clean the glue/cement off the plastic.
You can use contact cement which does not bond into the plastic. It can be removed quite easily.

I have another idea though, to use loctite. Since it is a low tack adhesive. Has anybody tried this method?
Old 08-21-2009, 03:09 AM   #156
Tech Master

My TA05 is with "Timmie" right now (you will see him frequently on the TB03 thread... he is a Tamiya fanatic ) to finish, setup and check over (he is also a pretty darn good painter ).
I can understand a little play/slop considering that it is a plastic car and the low expense of the kit. Even so; I feel that it seems excessive on mine; which is why I posted the question.
The weird thing about the belts is that to get them to what I thought would be a good starting tension (not tight, slightly loose, but not crazy loose)... I had to loosen the rear belt from the kit directions setting and the front belt had to be set at its tightest just to get them semi equal. Which is weird since they are supposed to be equal length belts.
Anyway, I should be giving it a first test run Saturday. At my local track I race with Tim H (Timmie) and Jimmy Mac... so there is plenty of "Tamiya expertise" to help me out.

On the non-keyed diff rings... I used some very tacky grease between the ring and the outdrive. The other thing that may work is a thin layer of Shoe Goo. Shoe Goo makes a very strong bond (if you let it set overnight), but yet is still easy to remove if needed (but I haven't tried it on a diff ring).
Old 08-21-2009, 03:20 AM   #157
Tech Regular

Quote:

On the non-keyed diff rings... I used some very tacky grease between the ring and the outdrive.
Anti wear grease?
Old 08-21-2009, 03:27 AM   #158
Tech Elite

Quote:

On the non-keyed diff rings... I used some very tacky grease between the ring and the outdrive. The other thing that may work is a thin layer of Shoe Goo. Shoe Goo makes a very strong bond (if you let it set overnight), but yet is still easy to remove if needed (but I haven't tried it on a diff ring).
Did you actually check the belts are equal? I know it's not normal, but recently I found Tamiya kits are slipping in quality. Perhaps it's the lack of serious competition.

With the diff rings I would say the shoe-goo is the worst idea. You will never get an even coat of that stuff on the outdrive face. Tacky grease might actually be a lot better. As I said, I wouldn't worry about it. Remember, the balls only have rolling friction to work against whereas between the outdrive face and the plate there is a large amount of static friction that needs to be overcome before they'll slip. Most of the time they'll slip when the balls are knackered or you get so much crap in the diff it can't work anymore, so the diff will be destroyed anyway when this happens.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:54 AM   #159
Tech Master

I will admit that I did not compare the two belts side by side, although each package had the same part number.
I have never tried the shoe goo on a diff, but tou are right; it is definately next to impossible to get an even layer.
I will have to look at the grease; we use it at work. Very tacky and you don't need vey much. I use it on most of my ball diffs (on & off-road) to hold the diff ring to the outdrive for easier assembly.
I should be running the car Saturday and if it performs well & holds up, I guess all is forgiven
Old 08-21-2009, 05:07 AM   #160
Tech Elite

If you haven't built the diffs yet, I would try them without anything. Just scuff them up a bit as I suggested above with some 400 sandpaper and build everything else as per kit instructions. Tacky as it may seem the grease is exactly that, which means it will reduce friction between plate and outdrive.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:40 AM   #161
Tech Addict

Thus increasing the chance of slip