Wiki Posts
Search

RS pro-vs-SP Gt 2.0-vs-LRP stock spec

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default RS pro-vs-SP Gt 2.0-vs-LRP stock spec

In the market for a new ESC to run 13.5 to 10.5 with mild mod racing down the road, woud to hear the good and the bad if you have the feedback, thanks in advance
Old 04-15-2009, 04:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

For "mild mod" I'm assuming you mean from a 7.5 to a 5.5. If this is the case, the stock spec LRP wouldn't be as good as the Tekin or the Speed Passion. The Tekin and the Speed Passion both also have full adjustability, via SP's programming box, or Tekin's HotWire. I'm also pretty sure that the SP has a computer interface available as well, but it comes out of the package with the programming box. The HotWire also must be bought and the Tekin ESC's don't come with a programming box, just two buttons on the top of the ESC.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:44 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

do you have a laptop you plan to bring to the track?
Old 04-15-2009, 04:53 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by dawgmeat
In the market for a new ESC to run 13.5 to 10.5 with mild mod racing down the road, woud to hear the good and the bad if you have the feedback, thanks in advance
I am in the same situation. Untill someone shows dyno results of these speedos it would be impossible to pick them apart. I am leaning towards the tekin because of its smaller size and because it seems to have the best support.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would say for spec racing there is very little in it. All three (Tekin with new software) are next gen brushless ESC's that give more RPM than the previous gen. Of the three I would only have faith in the SP 2.0 for mod. It will handle what ever you bolt in to you chassis.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Dont go near the Tekin if you plan on running Mod of any description.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:13 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Besercoe
why not?
Old 04-16-2009, 04:42 AM
Tech Regular

Both the Speed Passion and the Tekin allow you to change the software as it gets more developed, LRP you are stuck with what you bought. I don't know what your racing habits are but I race carpet in winter and dirt in summer and reprogramable speed controls allow me to transfer my electronics from car to car without buying extra. I also run several different classes(12, WGT, tc rubber, tc foam, stadium truck and 10 buggy) and more adaptable products save me lots of money as I just transfer them around. I also don't bring my laptop to the track every day the little SP programming box is good enough for on track adjustments when I am working out new motors and gearing.

I switched from the blue ones to Speed Passion and am ecstatic with the support which was my big issue with the blue ones.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:54 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Besercoe
That makes no sense? The Tekin RS and RS PRo can handle mod motors just fine.

The RS PRO handles mods down to 2.5 turns. The RS can handle down to a 6.5.

If you could tell us what your application(s) I'm sure everyone could help you more.

For spec racing look at some of the recent results at the Carpet Nats. 8 out of the 10 in the Stock TC main had Tekin!
Old 04-16-2009, 11:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

I have LRP Sphere, LRP Sphere Stock Spec and Tekin RS. I can't really tell the difference between them.

I like the idea that the Tekin will accept software updates (free!) to allow new Stock profiles and 1S LiPo compatibility (to come), but that is at a cost - I run a Mac and cannot use the HotWire, so am forced to get help from friends. I've used the Tekin for a few months with no problems.

I like the way that the LRPs are so easy to change profiles, and allow me to run Stock and 6.5BL Mod on the same speedo at the touch of a (couple of) button/s. I have used LRP for many, many years and they are very reliable.

If I had to buy another one, I would be very tempted to get the Tekin as it is a bit smaller than the LRP, and I know that it would be op to date longer due to the free software upgrades. But, I do like my LRP...

I don't think you can lose either way. SP speedos are not favoured in 12th over here, but LRP (and Nosram, same product with a red colour) and Tekin are very popular. HTH
Old 04-16-2009, 12:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have the Novak GTB, LRP Sphere, and Tekin RS with their 17.5 and 13.5's.; no experience with SP.

When I had the GTB and Sphere I put them on a flywheel dyno and mixed and matched motors and physical timing. While the Sphere had a very slight advantage with some of it's settings that the GTB didn't have, I don't think it would translate into anything on the track.

I got water in the Sphere (open holes on the top for settings and a dumb run my me) and I fried the LRP (opened it up and it had cracked FET's - totally my fault).
I started researching brushless ESC's to replace it, and wanted something small to put into a 1/12th scale and decided on the small Tekin. Decided to wire it into my Phi instead and initially thought it seemed slower than the others. I updated to the 194 software and adjusted the software boost/timing and the thing rips like none of the others ever did.

All 3 are good quality products and I've experienced good service from all of them. But I got to tell you, with the products as they are right now, the smallness of the Tekin and the adjustability that I could easily tell yields performance, it's the best choice right now.

By the way, I'm only a mid level driver and pay for all my own stuff.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:51 PM
Tech Addict

For stock class racing thhere are 2 speed controllers i would recomend. One is the lrp stock spec and the other is the gm genius 120. I have a gm 120 and personally think it is the best speedo on the market for all classes.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Anyone had any experience of the Team Wave RB-50?

Looks pretty small, and the specs seem to stake up well against the TC Spec etc... also programable by a handheld too.

Just haven't heard of any feedback on it yet...

Cheers
Ed
Old 04-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Just buy the Tekin and stop stirring up crap on the internet. If you don't like it, I'll trade you for the Sphere I have in my son's car.

Yell at ya later.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

And before all of the keyboard commandos start flaming me, he's a friend of mine. Matter of fact, I bought him the hat that he's wearing in his avatar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.