Old 06-23-2009, 05:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

So anyone drive this car yet?
Old 06-27-2009, 10:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Interesting question.....

If manufacturers are notorious for sending designs to other parts of Asia to manufacture and keep costs down, then why are some of you shitting on this car? Is it brand loyalty? If people buy this car and have to go to Tamiya to get replacement parts, isnt Tamiya winning in the long run? And while we are at it, if a guy cant afford a months rent for a 416, why clown him for buying this car? And for a noob, buying this car might be a lesser expensive option...instead of spending a G or more for a top of the line racer, crash and burn, get totally turned off to R/C and moves on to something else. Lastly, this may be a knock off, but I'd buy this cheap knock-off instead of a Cyclone S or some other dummied down R/C from a major manufacturer that is tossing something out there with hopes that you hop-up and spend mad money on their products.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:05 PM
Tech Elite

It is not decided yet but my club seems to be losing its lease on the sports hall where we race. If that happens and we don't find another place, we might have to move to racing outdoors in which case I would definitely buy one of these to race.

About brand loyalists, I think they can feel the ground shaking under their feet and react in despair. After all they spent all that crazy money only to learn they could have had it all for a fraction of the cost. After all how dare anyone have a top product just like theirs for less? That doesn't compute, you see. Sure, the copy still has some way to go to prove itself, but it'll get there.

But as I said before, Tamiya will surely realise sooner rather than later that this is a great opportunity for them to tap asian markets where people don't have the money to buy the original. I have not seen yet compelling evidence Tamiya is not behind this, but even if they're not, the sooner they realise the potential of having two products targeting two very different markets the more they (and we too) can profit from the situation.

As for the fanatics barking mad right now because they can't get over it, oh well, if Tamiya keeps winning races (which I think they will) they'll be back to Tamiya in no time tails between legs.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:43 PM
Tech Adept

There are a couple of issues here

1) Quality - There has been very little if no comments on how it compares to the real thing (materials , build quality, tolerances , general fit and finish) . You will all agree that this has to be perfect to compare

2) In today's world where it costs USD40 to ship a chassis across the world , the price differential between similar products in various markets cannot be more than that , otherwise the strategy will fail. I would assume that the internal costs of running different products for differnet regions will not be small therefore Tamiya would have a narrow window of opportunity to succeed running parallel products.

3) If I am not mistaken the "china edition" costs around USD150. If its in that range , its the TA05 level. With unproven quality , right now , I would probably go for safety and certainty that the TA05 offers, rather than riskiing the copy.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:38 AM
Tech Elite

gimpex, I agree.

The price difference resulting from having the copy available only in Asia (so for instance you'd have to pay 40$ on top for shipping) would be enough of a barrier to the copy reaching some shores. That is provided Tamiya distribution is seamless which it isn't in most parts of the world (bar Japan and perhaps the US).

As for Australia for instance it would cost us the same in shipping to get the copy or the original.

As far as quality goes, the pictures I saw posted here seem to suggest there is very good quality to it (not any less than any other car made in China/Taiwan/Hong Kong anyway and there's plenty of originals made there) so I don't see a problem before hand with it. Once you have it in your hand, i agree, surprises might pop up. That being said, almost nothing is perfect these days, so some teething problems might get in the way I imagine. It all depends how warranty claims are handled, so this can go either way.

Out of the box TA05 is just a basher. I would expect the 416 clone would be a lot better than that straight out of the box (after all it has adjustable everything no matter how bad the quality would be). To get competitive with the TA05 you'd have to spend some serious money on it (suspension and driveshafts are a must and those things alone would bring you straight into TA05MS price range).

If the clone is at least up to TA05-R level I think it is well worth the money.

But the main benefit I see coming out of clones being made in China (or elsewhere for that matter) is that companies like tamiya (and other big players) have to rethink their worldwide distribution strategy. If I can not buy their product in my country and spares are a nigthmare or I am left at the mercy of the web/ebay and shops overseas who might want or not to ship my way, then I think Tamiya and others deserve to lose those markets they don't care about.

In Australia just about everybody (hobby shops and hobbyists alike) is fed up with Tamiya and their distributor, so there. And I know this is the case in a number of other countries. And other manufacturers as well. They all want the money and the market but they don't want to be in it with the customer for the long haul. Oh, well, the market might just give them the arse then.

Last edited by niznai; 06-28-2009 at 12:56 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I just bought a name brand car and it is a lemon. I will have to fax them tomorrow and go through tthe warranty process.

Would have been easier to pay less than half the initial cost and just go buy defect parts. WOuld have been cheaper and quicker.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:01 AM
Tech Adept

I just read the earlier posts from the guy who has one - not sure how I missed it before

The list of issues he mentions that need correction , would not make me feel comfortable ( as a novice) that it will give me best performance and longevity of parts. Also , all these little parts cost $$ and reduce the initial saving, especially if you miss one of the problem areas and have to replace.

I am sure for a more pro person , its a lot of fun and a challange to get it just right..... for me its challange enough to keep it on the black stuff

Looking at other chinese products their learning curve is very steep and very soon they get their ducks in the row....

Last edited by gimpex; 06-28-2009 at 01:15 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:09 AM
Tech Initiate

Just to compare between the two (up to the fanatic haters to believe or otherwise) I let a club racer a go at my WE(C) and after a heat I asked what did he find different of this 416we(C) ? His response was "If ya driven a 416WE ya driven them all"

So far, I have replaced the front left arm and hub due to the my error but other than that I would simply replace the O rings on the dampers or if you want to look the part go get the TRF set.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

i'll sell mine, already has all the parts that need to be changed all done, got a bunch of spares as well. PM me if you can't find one.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:23 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by B18C Turbo
i'll sell mine, already has all the parts that need to be changed all done, got a bunch of spares as well. PM me if you can't find one.
How'd you get it? Would like to know about part support AND I like to own more than one of the same car for different set-ups. Please advise.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

rcmarket, parts support? you mean tamiyausa.com? ya...there loaded with parts as they always have been. You could also get the parts overseas like rcmodel, rcmarket, rcmart, champ r/c etc.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:56 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by B18C Turbo
rcmarket, parts support? you mean tamiyausa.com? ya...there loaded with parts as they always have been. You could also get the parts overseas like rcmodel, rcmarket, rcmart, champ r/c etc.
Cool.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

kit instock !
Old 06-29-2009, 11:35 AM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

While it should go without saying, I want people to know that this car is NOT LEGAL for any Tamiya TCS events worldwide. If you bring this car through tech, it will not be allowed to race.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.