Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI's new F1

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 03:49 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi MikeR,

how do the Foams on the shaved F10 wheels work?

A friend of mine tried Nitro-Shoes, but car was undriveable because of too
much grip and permanent overturning....

Kind regards,

kabus
Old 06-04-2010, 07:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default HPI Ball diff

On the optional Ball Diff, I noticed it's 64p vs stock of 48p gearing. Does anyone know if there are additional tooth counts available beside the stock 95T on the ball diff ? I'm trying to determine if I go to the ball diff what it would take to get to the stock gear ratio.
Thanks
Old 06-04-2010, 08:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Any 64 pitch spur should work. Robinson Racing offers some quality spurs in just about any count you'd want. I'd steer towards an 88 tooth.

Regardless of the pitch, just divide pinion and spur to get your gear ratio. Gearchart.com comes in handy if you need to look at a spreadsheet of possible pinion/spur combos. I think the F10 instruction book has some info on gear ratios as well.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:25 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the info. Robinson's web site has great explanations along with gear ratio charts ! Problem solved
Old 06-04-2010, 10:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kabus
Hi MikeR,

how do the Foams on the shaved F10 wheels work?

A friend of mine tried Nitro-Shoes, but car was undriveable because of too
much grip and permanent overturning....

Kind regards,

kabus

Hi Kabus,

They worked superbly. The key is to lower the ride height and making sure the rear generates more traction then the front. Your friend should try adding spacers to the front axles/wheels and making sure the front tire edges are rounded/angled so the edges do not 'grab' when cornering.

best,

M
Old 06-04-2010, 11:52 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi MikeR,

which typ of tires did you put on the shaved wheels?

And how did you shave the HPI-wheels?

Kind regards,

kabus
Old 06-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Ok, so I noticed Mike R did pretty well recently with his Exotek F10. I haven't read the whole thread so just gonna ask.
What are the weak points to this car ?
What are the strong points?
Are parts hard to get ? If not, best source?
What bodies fit with a full size 2s lipo?
What bodies fit with the 1800mah mini lipo ??
Stock HPI rubber tires or other company work better? Which rubber compunds seem to work best for asphalt/concrete?
Any problem with full size electronics (Novak Havoc) or need smaller?

Thanks all !!
Old 06-08-2010, 10:26 AM
Tech Adept

I am in the process of building this same car with the Exotek chassis and can tell you that space is at a premium. It's an awesome kit and looks incredible.
I originally wanted to use a Castle ESC, but found it would be too large to fit so I went with the Tekin RS which fits just fine. For the TX/TX, I'm using airtronics 2.4 which again just fits.

I just ordered a Tamiya F104 body based on what I'm reading from other areas. It appears it will work with the full size 2S lipo. But the F60 would require the use of the mini-lipo, but I would wait for Mike to chime in to confirm this.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Who is selling the FX10 chassis ?
Old 06-08-2010, 05:19 PM
Tech Adept

Direct from Exotek
http://www.exotekracing.com/EXOTEK_N.../5/9_FX10.html
Old 06-13-2010, 05:30 PM
Tech Master

Had the chance to drive my F10 today with the Exotek chassis kit...

AWESOME. LOVED IT.

I've tried to run my car pretty much box stock with the exception of the Soft tires. I also upgraded the gear diff to the ball diff. Wasn't a whole lot of fun to drive.

Ordered the Exotek kit the day it came out and built it per the instructions while also using the Pro Tips included for setting it up.

The car is so close to dialed i can't wait for the next club race. Rain shortened testing today, but i think my F103 will be going up for sale soon!
Old 06-13-2010, 05:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pejota
Had the chance to drive my F10 today with the Exotek chassis kit...

AWESOME. LOVED IT.

I've tried to run my car pretty much box stock with the exception of the Soft tires. I also upgraded the gear diff to the ball diff. Wasn't a whole lot of fun to drive.

Ordered the Exotek kit the day it came out and built it per the instructions while also using the Pro Tips included for setting it up.

The car is so close to dialed i can't wait for the next club race. Rain shortened testing today, but i think my F103 will be going up for sale soon!
THanks for the testing feedback. I was on the fence on investing another dime in the car, guess I'll give it a go..
Old 06-13-2010, 06:22 PM
Tech Master

Next step for me will be an HPI center shock kit. I'm still running the box stock "friction shock" with an AE Blue shock spring. I did add some Traxxas 30k diff lube to give it some dampening, but that was just a hack attempt at curing the bouncing.

So if the car is that much better for me with the Exotek kit, ball diff, Soft tires and ham-fisted center shock setup it can only get better from there!
Old 06-14-2010, 01:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pejota
Next step for me will be an HPI center shock kit. I'm still running the box stock "friction shock" with an AE Blue shock spring. I did add some Traxxas 30k diff lube to give it some dampening, but that was just a hack attempt at curing the bouncing.

So if the car is that much better for me with the Exotek kit, ball diff, Soft tires and ham-fisted center shock setup it can only get better from there!
Glad it's working well already Pejota! Even if you pick up a $18 1/12th VCS shock from AE, that works pretty well. Even the ball cups fits the F10 ball joints. Pick up a AE black and silver spring to start with also and use the pro tip about proper rear pod droop.

By the way, I forgot to post here that for the first time an HPI won the day at Socal UF1 series last week. The HPI was a beast on carpet

Old 06-17-2010, 01:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

new 2009/2010 body work:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.