Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help needed! My First RC Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Help needed! My First RC Project

Right well basically I have just got back into RC cars and for the last 2 weeks I have been using my girlfriends brothers sup'd up nitro car.

But I realised I couldn't keep using his stuff, I do actually have my own RC car; which I used to race with my Dad about 10 years ago.

It is a RC Porsche 911 GT1 - TA03R-S 4WD

Would it be possible to slowly modify bits and to use this car, before I fully take the plunge into buying a new car.

What I mean is, would I be able to modify it to the standard of todays electric rc cars, with a lot of work.

Also the chassis was made for only 2 shells any chance of being able to adjust the chassis to fit modern shells, really intresting in getting a golf gti shell

Cheers sorry for asking noob questions
-matt
Old 04-15-2009, 12:44 PM
Tech Rookie

oops sorry have I posted it in the wrong place?
Old 04-15-2009, 12:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

thats a good chassis to start from, try and find parts that need to be changed if not great. you could use different 10th scale bobies on it 190-200mm be fine. good luck
Old 04-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Tech Rookie

its hardly been used, the first thing I think il need to do is stock up on batteries
the only thing that I need is wheels as one of them is cracked to pieces.
as is the shell
Old 04-15-2009, 01:48 PM
Tech Rookie

I was thinking alloy wheels, any suggestions?
Old 04-15-2009, 01:51 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Berlitz
Right well basically I have just got back into RC cars and for the last 2 weeks I have been using my girlfriends brothers sup'd up nitro car.

But I realised I couldn't keep using his stuff, I do actually have my own RC car; which I used to race with my Dad about 10 years ago.

It is a RC Porsche 911 GT1 - TA03R-S 4WD

Would it be possible to slowly modify bits and to use this car, before I fully take the plunge into buying a new car.

What I mean is, would I be able to modify it to the standard of todays electric rc cars, with a lot of work.

Also the chassis was made for only 2 shells any chance of being able to adjust the chassis to fit modern shells, really intresting in getting a golf gti shell

Cheers sorry for asking noob questions
-matt
If you're planning on racing again then getting back into it using your current car shouldn't be a problem, as long as you have ball bearings throughout and there are no running problems i think learning to race (and learning to not crash :P ) will be great, all be it you probably won't be the fastest guy there but ah well. After which you could go for a more top end car once you are pretty confident you won't break it too often No point in buying a brand new, sparkling Xray 09' with a $300 brushless system in it and disintigrating it into a wall on your first day when you could just use what you've already got.

If you're just bashing it outside then i would say pick up a car like a TT01, TC4 or something like that if you are looking at upgrading, much more choice and avaliability with aftermarket parts.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

www.asiatees.com for all your vintage car needs.

I also have the 03RS and its a GREAT car. Only problem is gear ratio is limites. Other cars with the same motors could gear up and you could only gear so high....

The site above is all you need.

Goodluck
Old 04-15-2009, 02:08 PM
Tech Rookie

cheers, I am going to go back to the old club I used to go to, its in a sports hall.

its just a shame its one day a week, I have nowhere to get any decent practice,

there is a track in the next town, its an outdoor track, its nice and smooth, might give that a try.

what sort of wheels do you think I should go for?
Thats what I really need right now.
are alloys a good idea?

i have seen some nice topcad tamiya ones

and what do they mean by offset?
Old 04-15-2009, 02:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by LATC3
******* for all your vintage car needs.

I also have the 03RS and its a GREAT car. Only problem is gear ratio is limites. Other cars with the same motors could gear up and you could only gear so high....

Goodluck
oh cheers mate I will take a look.

so TA03 bits are the same?

Last edited by Berlitz; 04-15-2009 at 02:12 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 04-15-2009, 02:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'm not familiar with this chassis, but alloy wheels are not good for racing. They bend easily. Plastic wheels with rubber/foam tyres (depending on rules, surface etc.) are best and what we all use.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

You cannot buy bodys anymore. there a way you could convert it to a ta03R and use all the new TC bodys of today...

Off set is how much the wheel pops out the sides. Some have more MM then others. There rims that come with offsets build in the rim.

The 03RS has INSANE offset..so making that chassis longer will requir a body that's 210mm+

Aluminum rims aren't good for racing. You will hit something and bend them up. Try some dish type rims with a good racing tire.

Or is its a rcgt class then hpi scale rims would look nice and some hpi x-pattern tires work very well.

what motor are you planning on using?
Old 04-15-2009, 02:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Berlitz
so TA03 bits are the same?
ta03R and ta03F, ta03FS parts will fit the 03RS the only difference is gear casing, Belt, and chassis.

Gears, arms, counter shafts, pullys, pins, screws, and bolts. Will fir each other.

But the rear 03RS axles are waaayyy longer due to the rear WIDE porsche body.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks I could look into conversion perhaps at a later date.. Might be a good idea..
as for motors go im not sure..
all I know about RC cars really is racing them when I was like 10, this tamiya is my car from then..
I want to put decent parts on it, so I would love all the advice I can get..
cheers guys!

Now on the hunt for plastic wheels
Old 04-15-2009, 02:25 PM
Tech Rookie

ta03R and ta03F, ta03FS parts will fit the 03RS the only difference is gear casing, Belt, and chassis.

Gears, arms, counter shafts, pullys, pins, screws, and bolts. Will fir each other.

But the rear 03RS axles are waaayyy longer due to the rear WIDE porsche body.
thankyou that is really useful to know!
cheers!
Old 04-15-2009, 02:26 PM
Tech Regular

www.asiatees.com for all your vintage car needs.

Goodluck
they got fast shipping ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.