R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree4Likes

Old 03-13-2002, 01:15 PM   #1411
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Indy
My problem is that the Losis seem to generate much more grip than the TC3s. My car seems to break away quite suddenly and the tyres only work when about 1/2 worn, whereas this is not as critical on other cars (ie HPIs and Losis).

Would moving the camber link to the upper inner hole help?
The floor where you race is made of wood or is made of rubber? If it's rubber, try with the softest tyre you can get, maybe something like sorex 24's.

About your setup:

Try green springs rear and move one hole inwards, and definitely, put your batteries rear.

Moving to the inner and upper camber hole can be wise.... give it a try.
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 02:29 AM   #1412
Tech Elite

Default TC3, Asphalt and foam tyres.

Hi:

I've bought a set of foam tyres for my TC3 (Yokomo ST-L261M - Pink compound) and test them on asphalt. I know you guys that some of you race on carpet with foams, but has anyone tested them with asphalt?

Any input on this?
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Old 03-14-2002, 10:53 AM   #1413
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

A friend of mine ran puples and pinks at a parking lot race he went to. Burned the pinks off of the car real fast. Double purple and purple lasted longer, and had good traction according to him. Most of the gas cars run similar setups, so that may be the way to go.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 01:39 PM   #1414
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

We run asphalt with foam every year. If you use Purple/Double Purple/Plaid/(Magenta) you should be fine. Make sure you set the camper properly for the track.

With Double Purples all the way around you can get 20+ runs on a proper setup. Tempeture doesn't really change the properties of foam so you get the same feeling just about every run.
ChristopherKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 03:06 PM   #1415
Tech Apprentice

Default TP

I got a used kit and after starting to do a rebuild on it with some new parts Ive found some pretty bad mistakes. One question is that the *3965 (?) bearing spacers were not in the hub carriers is this a big deal? They have the ridge in them to keep them positioned corectly and was just wondering if this could have adverse effects on my car. And man were those bearings and ever dirty and the outdrives felt horendous!
Buda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 06:23 PM   #1416
Tech Initiate

I am going to be racing my tc3 on carpet (stock class). I am kind of new so i was wondering if you guys have any good advice on setups (tires, inserts, shocks, and other stuff you can think of). Also I am thinking of buying the Novak TC2 esc. I haven't really made up my mind yet. If you have any different esc that you think would be better please tell me.
cantbestopped44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 06:35 PM   #1417
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to redsand
Default Re: TP

Quote:
Originally posted by Buda
I got a used kit and after starting to do a rebuild on it with some new parts Ive found some pretty bad mistakes. One question is that the *3965 (?) bearing spacers were not in the hub carriers is this a big deal? They have the ridge in them to keep them positioned corectly and was just wondering if this could have adverse effects on my car. And man were those bearings and ever dirty and the outdrives felt horendous!
you mean that shim between the bearing and the pin ? or the one inside the steering knuckle ? i've seen some racers use a spacer INSIDE the knucle when running the car with one way.
redsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 09:20 PM   #1418
Tech Regular

Default Re: TP

Quote:
Originally posted by Buda
You better pick up a set of bearing spacers.
Without them bearings can't stay where they are under load and after one hit hub carrier and bearings will be gone.

Last edited by rcruv; 03-14-2002 at 09:22 PM.
rcruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 08:33 AM   #1419
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally, the little spacer were named 'crush tubes'. When the car first came out, We realized that if you accidentally over-tighten the wheel nuts, you could accidentally squeeze the bearings, causing them to bind. So, I think it was the NORRCA Nats, Curtis Husting had some sent to use (I'm guessing they made some quickies at AE) and we installed them. They were crude mock-ups of todays design, but they still worked. So, that was the original idea behind them. Now you could crank down (to an extent, of course) on the crush tubes and the bearings wouldn't bind. Since then, they've become bearing spacers or whatever else they're called now. They have become a really good item to have, and use, and I would HIGHLY suggest you get them and install them.

They do help with the stress under load, also, as rcruv has said...
CompetitionX.com
R Sector / F1 Paint Labs
TPhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 10:19 AM   #1420
Tech Rookie

My new FT-TC3 seems to have more drag in the drive train than my previous Team TC3. In fact, there seems to be some binding in the transmission housings. I'm certain that its built correctly concernig the number of shims and all......

Has anyone else experience this?

Brian
byoshino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 10:33 AM   #1421
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The ft version comes with the plastic diffs that don't seem to need any shims at all in the diff cases. On my car I actually had to take an xacto knife and remove some of the material on the sides of the diff case to get the diff to slide in easily. This should make a big difference in the efficiency of the drive train. Another thing might be the teflon seals might take a while to "break in" compared to the rubber sealed ones in the regular kit. I removed one side of mine where it wasn't critical.
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 11:24 AM   #1422
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the info. I'll try it out this weekend.

Brian
byoshino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 11:26 AM   #1423
Tech Legend

I love racing my Tc-3 !!!!

But,,, We run 20`s on ozite & they don`t last all that long...

Can anyone suggest a rim that can be be re-use....

Rite now I have been running Yok rims...
Is there a rim that is stiff & can be soak in acetone...

This tire thing is busting my racing budject....

Help !!!!!
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 11:56 AM   #1424
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Wild Cherry
I love racing my Tc-3 !!!!

But,,, We run 20`s on ozite & they don`t last all that long...

Can anyone suggest a rim that can be be re-use....
This is a problem that suffer many of us:

For 'reciclyng' the wheels go straight for proline wheels. Their best models in terms of durability are gumby and aerodish models.

I use three times. First time (straight from the box) finals, second time: heats, third time: practice, fourth time: trashcan.

As you more soak on acetone less durable and prone to crack.
Old 03-15-2002, 01:15 PM   #1425
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Dragon Slayer

Heres what i've found that works well.......cut off as much of the tire that you can.....put the wheel in an oven(i would suggest an old toaster type oven...counter top model-with the sliding tray)set it at approx. 300 degree.....about 10 minutes...remove from oven(use a glove)....turn your head away as the fumes are pretty strong......take an exacto or needle nose pliers and grab or scrape the remaining tire from rim......I think the heat crystalises the glue...and the tire just comes right off.......Caution....I assume no responsibility for anything bad that may happen to you.....lol
Dragon Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote