R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-28-2014, 10:47 PM   #12091
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Nice and clean. i miss my tc3. how did you make the weight mount on the servo?
rudeboy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:35 AM   #12092
Tech Master

Home brew front bumper for the TC3. I used the front edge of a swimming pool kick board. Works well and seems to be the right kind of foam. A little thicker than stock.

The center post is a gizmo I made to keep the RPM aftermarket bumper flat. Works well!

Attached Thumbnails
TC3 Forum-image.jpg  
USVTA #144
IndyHobbies.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:09 AM   #12093
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have a friend offering me some nice alloy TC3 swing shafts ( dog bones & threaded axles complete ). Will they fit directly on my TC4 ??? Thanks in advance for the expert advice.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:28 PM   #12094
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatslob View Post
I have a friend offering me some nice alloy TC3 swing shafts ( dog bones & threaded axles complete ). Will they fit directly on my TC4 ??? Thanks in advance for the expert advice.
yep, direct fit
moparSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:35 PM   #12095
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This topic has probably been covered a million times in this thread, but I wasn't very successful with the search. I'm looking to lighten the TC3 as much as possible without cutting up the chassis etc, and am looking for suggestions.

So far I've lightened the electronics as much as I reasonably can to match them exactly with a battery. I've switched to the Associated blue aluminum screws, which shaved off nearly 20 grams! I ordered the titanium turn buckles, but worry that they won't yield as much weight savings as I'm looking for. The car is already the Racer kit, so it has plastic shocks, outdrives and CVDs. It even has plastic hexes and aluminum wheel nuts.

The car currently sits at 1500 grams, but after the turnbuckles and lighter servo, I'm thinking it will be around 1480. I'm considering doing a thinner paint job and using less decals, but I worry that might not be significant. The car will be used for Scale Spec/VTA with a minimum weight of 1450. So I'd like to shave off another 30 grams. Impossible?

Thank you in advance,
melon
angrymelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:05 PM   #12096
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymelon View Post
The car currently sits at 1500 grams ... The car will be used for Scale Spec/VTA with a minimum weight of 1450. So I'd like to shave off another 30 grams. Impossible?
I ran a Racer TC3 at IIC where I had to add weight to get to their 1375g min.
They make light weight bodies that help, but the biggest help is you don't need that heavy large capacity battery pack in Spec or VTA. I ran 3800 and 4300 packs and it really lightens and livens up the car.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:22 PM   #12097
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate View Post
I ran a Racer TC3 at IIC where I had to add weight to get to their 1375g min.
They make light weight bodies that help, but the biggest help is you don't need that heavy large capacity battery pack in Spec or VTA. I ran 3800 and 4300 packs and it really lightens and livens up the car.
Thanks for the reply. I've always thought that the voltage drop off of a low capacity battery would be significant. Not sure, but it's worth a try. I did run the car with a shorty 4200 pack, but that offset the side to side balance significantly and the car didn't handle well.

The Factory Team titanium turn buckles shaved off another 3.5 grams. I also bought the Factory Team motor mount, but that was only good for 1 gram of savings

I ordered the lundsford titanium hinge pins, so I'm hoping that will save approx. 5 or more grams. Once I reduce the wire/plug that goes to the battery I think I'll be sitting around the 1475 mark.

The only place left I think I can shave weight is maybe switching to more carbon parts. I ordered the carbon rear tower, and chassis braces. No actual replacement chassis's seem to exist anymore

The battle continues!
Old 02-17-2015, 11:33 PM   #12098
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymelon View Post
Thanks for the reply. I've always thought that the voltage drop off of a low capacity battery would be significant. Not sure, but it's worth a try. I did run the car with a shorty 4200 pack, but that offset the side to side balance significantly and the car didn't handle well.

The Factory Team titanium turn buckles shaved off another 3.5 grams. I also bought the Factory Team motor mount, but that was only good for 1 gram of savings

I ordered the lundsford titanium hinge pins, so I'm hoping that will save approx. 5 or more grams. Once I reduce the wire/plug that goes to the battery I think I'll be sitting around the 1475 mark.

The only place left I think I can shave weight is maybe switching to more carbon parts. I ordered the carbon rear tower, and chassis braces. No actual replacement chassis's seem to exist anymore

The battle continues!

Go to a shorty pack as thats a much cheaper way to save 100+ grams. Just rearrange some of the electrics to get the balance right. I'm in the process right now myself. More than likely either the esc, receiver or transponder or a combo of the above.
ixlr8nz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:32 AM   #12099
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

+1 on the shorty lipo. I love this setup. I spent a lot of time moving weight around and sliding battery back and fourth. The car is now faster than ever and much more balanced. A good set of scales really helped me dial in this car. Set at corners of chassis, not on suspension.
The Stig US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:35 AM   #12100
Tech Adept

As for voltage drop, not an issue. I run shorty lipos in almost everything I race now, except 4wd short course. Even 1/8 e buggy now has shortys with no problem making 10 minute mains.
The Stig US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:53 AM   #12101
Tech Fanatic

Well I managed to do it. With a 6200mah pack the car sits at 1445 grams. I actually had to add a 7 gram lead weight! I still havent put on the carbon rear tower, or the titanium hinge pins, so more weight loss is possible.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:45 PM   #12102
Tech Fanatic

What's the latest VTA setup people are having success with? I found that on high grip carpet, my normal setup is a traction rolling monster.

Thanks in advance,
melon

P.S. Someone hooked me up with a carbon chassis! I put it on, with the titanium hinge pins and carbon rear tower and I even added a rear sway bar. I had to add 32 grams to get it back up to 1450!
Old 04-01-2015, 02:30 PM   #12103
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I would love to find a carbon fiber plate style chassis for the tc3 if anyone knows where one is.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:40 PM   #12104
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocrawlin View Post
I would love to find a carbon fiber plate style chassis for the tc3 if anyone knows where one is.
These guys still show one on their website. Who knows if it is still in production though. I'd give them a call to find out. Kinda pricey, but seems like you get a choice of using the suspension from either the TC3 or NTC3.

http://www.xtremercracing.com/Produc...10040&pID=1155

Ebay and classifieds are going to be your only other source for older ones like IRS or BMI. I have an IRS and I love the way it looks. Don't really notice any difference in performance from the carbon fiber tub, but the "bling" gets a lot of attention.
USVTA Member #155
Associated TC3 Faithful
beemerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:16 PM   #12105
Tech Master

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerfan View Post
These guys still show one on their website. Who knows if it is still in production though. I'd give them a call to find out. Kinda pricey, but seems like you get a choice of using the suspension from either the TC3 or NTC3.

http://www.xtremercracing.com/Produc...10040&pID=1155

Ebay and classifieds are going to be your only other source for older ones like IRS or BMI. I have an IRS and I love the way it looks. Don't really notice any difference in performance from the carbon fiber tub, but the "bling" gets a lot of attention.
I bought the last TC3 carbon chassis kit IRS had. It was in there clearance section. I think I paid about half price for it. I put the TC4 shock towers on it and added TC6 shocks. Thats about three years ago. I raced it last summer in VTA on asphalt. It's still KOOL . No its not for sale LOL. I'm going to try a diggity TC4 conversion this summer.
THEBIGBULL is offline   Reply With Quote