R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #11911
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quick question does the solid axle part number 1703 require different bearings or will the stock size ones work?
Justin33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #11912
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin33 View Post
Quick question does the solid axle part number 1703 require different bearings or will the stock size ones work?
uses the same size bearings as the diff
Rojna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:56 PM   #11913
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've got (2) TC3's on the shelf and my 10 year old is showing interest. My 12 year old is already running my ole Xray T2-007with Exotek Lipo chassis and I'm running a TC6.1WC. I've been considering just buying another WC but I'm thinking of just having him run Novice or VTA. One of the TC3's is a FT and the other is stock and needs some work. I'm thinking of tearing down one for parts and using the other as his car. i'm also considering just buying a TC4 club racer and using whatever parts from the TC3's if they cros over as spares. Should I just use the TC3's or get the TC4 club racer?
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:06 AM   #11914
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
I've got (2) TC3's on the shelf and my 10 year old is showing interest. My 12 year old is already running my ole Xray T2-007with Exotek Lipo chassis and I'm running a TC6.1WC. I've been considering just buying another WC but I'm thinking of just having him run Novice or VTA. One of the TC3's is a FT and the other is stock and needs some work. I'm thinking of tearing down one for parts and using the other as his car. i'm also considering just buying a TC4 club racer and using whatever parts from the TC3's if they cros over as spares. Should I just use the TC3's or get the TC4 club racer?
Asking this question in a forum dedicated to the TC3 makes the answers you'll receive fairly predictable. Clean up the Factory Team TC3 and run it. Tear down the other for spares.

The X-Ray T2 would also make a great VTA car.

Your other options all involve spending money, which is great if you have it to spend.
beemerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:50 PM   #11915
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AudioStylz

Just to add to beemerfans' comment about the TC3.

The TC3 touring car is very capable in the VTA class, I just brought my old TC3 back from the dead so to speak myself and the best part, parts are still available on ebay, towerhobbies, and RCSpeed.net. Both regular, carbon, and select FT upgrades as well.

The track I race at still carries some parts for the TC3 but on a limited supply and has advised me to order parts online when I can just for that reason. I'm not going to get too parts happy with the TC3 though, planning on making the change over to the TC4 next summer.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:10 AM   #11916
Tech Regular

Thanks Beemer and Audio,
Money is always an issue but I hate soaking money into something that I'll struggle with getting parts. The TC4 club racer was what I was considering since some the FTTC3 should bolt on and at the same time be able to get parts a little easier then the TC3. I'm just considering my 10 year old is running VTA and I'll count the arms that I have between the two and make the most of it.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:09 AM   #11917
Tech Master

Quote:
Thanks Beemer and Audio,
Money is always an issue but I hate soaking money into something that I'll struggle with getting parts. The TC4 club racer was what I was considering since some the FTTC3 should bolt on and at the same time be able to get parts a little easier then the TC3. I'm just considering my 10 year old is running VTA and I'll count the arms that I have between the two and make the most of it.
It depends a little on what your local track uses for corners and lane dividers, but you won't break in VTA nearly as much as TC classes because of the lower speeds. I use the RPM front bumper on my TC3s and I haven't broken an arm in ages. Also, I found this while browsing the classifieds. If you were thinking of using the Xray as a VTA car, this could be your spare parts car.

VTA x-ray 007
Old 02-26-2013, 07:47 AM   #11918
Tech Regular

I think I'll do a complete rebuild the next few days and put it together for him so he can run on Saturday. I'm thinking finiding an updated 007 would be better if he really gets into it. My 12 year old was pretty good with his and has really caught on. I think enjoyed most being the smallest guy on the stand and beating all of the slower 17.5 guys more then anything. Do you recommend any pit tips for the TC3. I've got the RPM bumper along with all the other FT goodies when it was out......it's been a long time since the original
Old 02-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #11919
Tech Regular

Well 1 problem with the plan on using the parts from the TC3 to TC4. While you would be able to use the older caster blocks, steering knuckles, rear hubs from the TC3 to the TC4 you will not be able to use the arms though. Mainly because there was a change in design between the two with the inner hinge pins.

Really the only parts that you wouldn't be able to use are the arms and chassis braces. The rest could be swapped over. While there are some design differences between the TC3 and TC4 shock towers they should be interchangeable for the most part.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #11920
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioStylz View Post
Really the only parts that you wouldn't be able to use are the arms and chassis braces. ...
You can use TC4 arms if you drill out the TC3 arm mounts for the thicker TC4 Hinge Pins.
TC4 Chassis Braces are a direct fit on the TC3 with the TC4 shock towers.
Rojna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:11 AM   #11921
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Bikerbob Send a message via MSN to Bikerbob Send a message via Yahoo to Bikerbob

Well as someone who has been running VTA all winter with a TC3 - I can say I have not BROKEN a thing.

I have worn out a set of steering hubs, but that is to be expected.

I do have the IRS nerf wings, and the RPM bumper on my chassis though, which tend to save arms, but that's more an issue in TC not VTA. Heck those VTA bodies take up a lot of the damage as well

I think a TC3 will work just fine for a learner in VTA - Hard to break, can take mountians of punishment, and has enough adjustment for what you need in VTA.
The inline motor mount is excellent for front impacts because it hard to move it out of position.

Anyway.. a TC4 club is a good car.. I race against them all the time, but they dont perform or are any more adjustable than my car.. On the other hand guys that think Xray T3'12 or T4s are good VTA cars... my opinon is VTA should be for tub or sport chassis cars..

James
Bikerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:57 AM   #11922
Tech Master

My TC3 is still my best VTA car.

I've got a TC5 VTA car that I've also been running on and off trying to get it to at least match the TC3 in terms of handling and overall performance. For whatever reason, I've not gotten there with it. I'm still faster with the TC3. Is it the belt vs. shaft? Dunno. Same motor, so I know that's not the issue.

TC3/TC4 are great VTA cars!
USVTA #144
IndyHobbies.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #11923
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerbob View Post
Anyway.. a TC4 club is a good car.. I race against them all the time, but they dont perform or are any more adjustable than my car.. On the other hand guys that think Xray T3'12 or T4s are good VTA cars... my opinon is VTA should be for tub or sport chassis cars..

James
There is one important tuning option on the TC4 that is not available on the TC3 unless you invent something yourself. That is the ability to raise the roll center by raising the suspension mounting blocks with the use of shims. I don't know how well it works on the TC4 because I've never set one up, but on my TC3s I accomplish the same thing by using 2 .020 thick washers under the inner F/R suspension blocks (raises it about 1mm) and then using the optional R-2-0 block on the rear and the standard F-2 block in the front. With this setup, you still have about 2 degrees of anti-squat in the rear but no kick-up in front, while the chassis "hangs" off the suspension 1 mm lower. Works well on smooth surfaces using 4 degree castor blocks.

I like that VTA doesn't restrict it to tub chassis. It makes it more fun to win with a TC3. Leaves the Xray, TC6.1, etc. guys scratching their heads? The weight and motor restrictions really equalize things and make it very enjoyable for the guys that get that aspect of it. The ones that think their car "should" be faster because they spent $500 on it, don't seem to stick around VTA very long. They leave with comments like "This class sucks, its too slow." But really I think it's because they can't figure out how to go slow faster. Around me, there are also several guys running TA05 tubs that routinely finish in the top three as well. Being able to take a used $75 tub and turn it into a winning VTA car is part of that "Spirit of VTA" that makes it so enjoyable.

Last edited by beemerfan; 03-17-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:47 PM   #11924
Tech Regular

Thanks Guys! I'm rebuilding my FT TC3 for this weekend. Who can give me a carpet setup?
Old 02-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #11925
Tech Regular

Quote:
Thanks Guys! I'm rebuilding my FT TC3 for this weekend. Who can give me a carpet setup?
There should be other guys at the track with TC3s, surprisingly there's still A LOT of people running this chassis but I am kind of surprised how hard it is to find any VTA setups online.