R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #11701
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguertin145 View Post
actually I know we have one local racer running these on a tc4. Do you have any limiters inside of the shocks or have you had to adjust the lengths any?
No I didn't use the internal spacers, however I did have to transfer over the lower Shock Eyelet that screws onto the bottom of the shock shaft and the Spring Cup that the spring sits on from the AE/ TC3 shocks so the dimensions/ suspension travel would match.

They come with a set of White springs that have a different rate than the AE springs, the included Tamiya's are just a touch softer than the standard Gold springs but are a little stiffer than the optional AE Blue ones.

I honestly can't recommend these things enough! The insides of the shock bodies are coated in some kinda teflon, once they're assembled I just kept compressing them like a freak
EM1-TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:24 PM   #11702
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I went ahead and ordered a set. Hopefully I can set them up to keep using the some ae springs that I already am and find a piston similar to the combo I am running now. I didnt have to many complaints with the stock shocks but was hoping to get something with a little higher quality or that leaked less.

Thanks for the help guys!
gguertin145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:30 PM   #11703
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguertin145 View Post
I went ahead and ordered a set. Hopefully I can set them up to keep using the some ae springs that I already am and find a piston similar to the combo I am running now. I didn't have to many complaints with the stock shocks but was hoping to get something with a little higher quality or that leaked less.

Thanks for the help guys!
You've made the right choice sir!

You'll most definitely be able to keep using the AE springs and I'm just using the #2 piston from the Tamiya kit, not sure how close it is to the AE pistons but those with some 50wt shock oil isn't a bad place to start. And as long as you coat the splines when installing the shafts they'll stay leak free for a while. I rebuilt my old TC3 shocks with a rebuild kit and after a couple trips to the track they were puking, I think others have had this issue, let us know how you like em!!!
Old 01-26-2012, 08:42 AM   #11704
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

With tamiya shocks you build them with the 3 hole pistons . Don't bother with the other ones. The coating inside the shocks is a flourine coating thats really smooth. When I assemble mine I use green slime on the oring and spacer. There leak free after that. And for outdoor run hpi springs like blue or silvers and for indoor the tamiya springs work great

Last edited by jeff jenkins; 01-26-2012 at 08:53 AM.
jeff jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:08 AM   #11705
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff jenkins View Post
With tamiya shocks you build them with the 3 hole pistons . Don't bother with the other ones. The coating inside the shocks is a flourine coating thats really smooth. When I assemble mine I use green slime on the oring and spacer. There leak free after that. And for outdoor run hpi springs like blue or silvers and for indoor the tamiya springs work great
Hi Jeff, What oil wt do you recommend with the 3-hole pistons?
I'm running on Carpet with Sweep rubber tires. I have the stock Gold/ Silver spring combo on them now. All I have extra are the White Tamiyas springs and some Yellow & Purple AE springs. I haven't had a lot of time to experiment, I just have been told to set up indoor carpet TC's like you would an outdoor asphault TC.

Thanks,
-Brian
Old 01-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #11706
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM1-TC3 View Post
No I didn't use the internal spacers, however I did have to transfer over the lower Shock Eyelet that screws onto the bottom of the shock shaft and the Spring Cup that the spring sits on from the AE/ TC3 shocks so the dimensions/ suspension travel would match.

They come with a set of White springs that have a different rate than the AE springs, the included Tamiya's are just a touch softer than the standard Gold springs but are a little stiffer than the optional AE Blue ones.

I am in the same boat as you guys with my TC3. The car came with a set of TC5 shocks that ran good but I can't get one of them to stop leaking from the bottom. I have to refill it twice in a race day as each run my suspension arm, shock collar and inside the wheel is wet from oil. After several attempted rebuilds I gave up and installed a set of Tamiya TRF shocks this week and the quality is awesome.

Like EM1-TC3 I also used some AE lower Shock Eyelets for proper shock length. However (since I'm running a rear shock tower on the front of my TC3) I had to trim 3mm from the top of the front lower shock eyelets to allow me to get my car back down to desired ride height. What this does is allows the lower spring perch and spring to sit 3mm lower than stock giving me my 5mm ride height back. I also had to do this with the TC5 shocks anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM1-TC3 View Post
You'll most definitely be able to keep using the AE springs and I'm just using the #2 piston from the Tamiya kit...
I am using the Tamiya 2 hole pistons and the same shock oil as with the AE #2 pistons (AE 40wt Front and AE 30wt Rear indoor carpet VTA class) and the car felt the same on the track as the TC5 shocks just without all the oil leaks.

As mentioned you can use your same AE springs and they fit just fine on the Tamiya shocks. I was using Silver Front and Green Rear AE springs but tried Tamiya Blue front and Yellow rear springs and the car was still dialed on the track. My shocks came with 2 sets of Tamiya spring sets so I gave them a chance and they worked out great but it is not necessary to spend the money on Tamiya springs.

You will be impressed with these shocks!
SS LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:59 AM   #11707
Tech Elite

To the question above I would run 35-40 wt oil
Old 02-20-2012, 05:21 AM   #11708
Tech Adept

Default 64 pitch FDR

Hello to all the TC3 owners. I have searched many posts on here but can't find a common answer. I just switched to a brushless/Lipo combo. Iam trying to figure out what 64 pitch spur to run. What is the Smallest spur/pinion combo that will fit to get a 4.4-5.0 FDR. I tried a 73 spur/38 pinion=4.8 but the pinion wont even contact the spur. I run on a small track 24ft x 60ft so i think a small spur/pinion combo would accelerate quicker out of the turns since there isn't much need for top end speed on the small track. Thanks for any information.
racerTC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:12 AM   #11709
Tech Elite

I just recently started racing a tc3 again and so far its been awesome for an old car . It's right there with all the current cars . Definitely a serious competitor still to this day. I am running a 4.22 FDR and that is with a 76/45 combo. I also had to mill away at the ribs a little to allow for bigger pinions to not rub . But I have plenty of movement to get whatever ratio I need for todays 17.5 motors in blinky . I have also done some milling on the chassis to get some flex in it. Here's a pic of it from this weekends race I tq'd and won with it and my setup is good but always getting it better everytime I'm out.
Attached Thumbnails
TC3 Forum-imag0045.jpg  
Old 02-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #11710
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 128 (100%+)

Quote:
I just recently started racing a tc3 again and so far its been awesome for an old car . It's right there with all the current cars . Definitely a serious competitor still to this day. I am running a 4.22 FDR and that is with a 76/45 combo. I also had to mill away at the ribs a little to allow for bigger pinions to not rub . But I have plenty of movement to get whatever ratio I need for todays 17.5 motors in blinky . I have also done some milling on the chassis to get some flex in it. Here's a pic of it from this weekends race I tq'd and won with it and my setup is good but always getting it better everytime I'm out.
I too have recently used my TC3 with a Team Wave RB-30 speed control and a Losi Xcelorin 17.5 motor on zero boost (blinky) and my FDR was 4.185 and I also had to mill the chassis to fit the larger pinion gears. I ran the Protoform R9R body and it was great.

Jeff - I recommend you pick up the RPM wide front bumper as it reduces breakage considerably.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:32 AM   #11711
Tech Adept

Quote:
What size track do you run on? The track i run on is verry small 24x60 feet. I ran some practice laps against another TC3 on are small track, he was at a 4.8 FDR 64 pitch and i was at a 5.62 FDR 48 pitch. on the back strait he pulled slightly but we had close speed, but on the infield his would snap out of the hole. With this brushless setup do you gear it for temp? after about 15 minutes of running the motor temp was at 85 degrees Iam running the speed passion Cirtix stock club esc, with the speed pasion ultra sportsman v2 17.5 reedy 5000 35c lipo. Everything was bought used from fellow racers. I also love running my TC3 against all the xrays and TC6.1 etc.
I used to run a GT-7 with brushed 27turns and 4600 Nimh cells and could compete our small track, but this lipo brushless stuff is wayyy better i should have switched along time ago. Thanks for the information
racerTC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #11712
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 128 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerTC3 View Post
What size track do you run on? The track i run on is verry small 24x60 feet. I ran some practice laps against another TC3 on are small track, he was at a 4.8 FDR 64 pitch and i was at a 5.62 FDR 48 pitch. on the back strait he pulled slightly but we had close speed, but on the infield his would snap out of the hole. With this brushless setup do you gear it for temp? after about 15 minutes of running the motor temp was at 85 degrees Iam running the speed passion Cirtix stock club esc, with the speed pasion ultra sportsman v2 17.5 reedy 5000 35c lipo. Everything was bought used from fellow racers. I also love running my TC3 against all the xrays and TC6.1 etc.
I used to run a GT-7 with brushed 27turns and 4600 Nimh cells and could compete our small track, but this lipo brushless stuff is wayyy better i should have switched along time ago. Thanks for the information
If your motor is only 85 degrees after a full 15 minute run then I recommend you gear up and get your FDR close to what your buddy is using.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #11713
Tech Adept

Recently i broke down and tore apart one of 4 TC3s that bought off of ebay for parts(my boy races a tc3) the other 2 i will keep as rollers. Is there any other source of parts? what parts interchange with the tc4?
AzRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #11714
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzRon View Post
Recently i broke down and tore apart one of 4 TC3s that bought off of ebay for parts(my boy races a tc3) the other 2 i will keep as rollers. Is there any other source of parts? what parts interchange with the tc4?
Tower hobbies and Stormer Hobbies each carry about every TC3 part you'll need. Fast shipping and reasonably priced.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:42 PM   #11715
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate View Post
Tower hobbies and Stormer Hobbies each carry about every TC3 part you'll need. Fast shipping and reasonably priced.
Thanks
AzRon is offline   Reply With Quote