R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-12-2011, 07:47 PM   #11656
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com View Post
How did you ever figure out all the Losi stuff works? Amazing! Thanks. I'll see what's in stock at my LHS or order from someone online. Good advice on the aluminum. I didn't know about the bending. Guess that makes complete sense now that you say it.
Just a lot of tinkering. One thing I forgot to mention is that the old XXX-S parts make your car exactly the same width as stock, but the newer stuff widens the wheel track very slightly. It winds up making the CVD bone ride on the outer tip of the diff outdrive. I haven't had a problem because of this, but it always worries me so I only use steel diffs up front. I also just recently found that the Irrang aluminum CVD bone is just a little wider and should compensate for the difference. I just recently bought a set (he still has a few on clearance) but haven't fit them in the car yet. They also give you an extra set of holes to use when the first ones wear out. Like getting two for one.
Attached Thumbnails
TC3 Forum-tc3-outdrive.jpg   TC3 Forum-tc3-associated-v-irs.jpg  

Last edited by beemerfan; 12-12-2011 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Added pics
beemerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:35 PM   #11657
Tech Master

Here's some pictures of the Losi hub carriers and steering knuckles mounted in the TC3. Note the difference in Ackerman. The stock TC3 ones fall in between but closer to the short setting.
Attached Thumbnails
TC3 Forum-tc3-losi-2-deg-short.jpg   TC3 Forum-tc3-losi-short-kunckles.jpg   TC3 Forum-tc3-losi-4-deg-long.jpg   TC3 Forum-tc3-losi-long-knuckles.jpg  
Old 12-12-2011, 08:38 PM   #11658
Tech Master

Don't tell my doctor about this sickness. I'm afraid he'll find a cure.
Attached Thumbnails
TC3 Forum-tc3-collection.jpg   TC3 Forum-tc3-collection-bodies.jpg  
Old 12-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #11659
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You only have four tc3's, and none with brushed motors; your doctor can't say you're sick yet.....
bertrandsv87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:07 PM   #11660
Tech Master

Great photos BeemerFan. I saved them all. I'll give it a try.

USVTA #144
IndyHobbies.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:27 AM   #11661
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerfan View Post
4:1 FDR would be for blinky. If you plan on boosting, you would need to be closer to 6:1 FDR. Robinson & Epic make really big 48P pinions and Robinson makes 48P spurs in 66, 60, 55, 52, & 49 teeth. You have to go between Tower and A-main to find them all but they are there. If you are changing both, you should switch to 64 pitch, its much smoother and you can make more incremental changes without changing the spur. I found Precision Racing spurs / pinions to be the best ones out there. I've had inconsistent stuff from Robinson with some wobbles when brand new and the Epics tend to be heavier. A 64P 51/82 combo will give you a 4.02:1 FDR. A 50/84 combo will give you a 4.2. I think both will fit the car with no modification but it's been a long time since I've had a chassis that wasn't milled out under the pinion so my memory might be failing.
So thanks for all the advice guys. After a bunch of reading it seems that a popular opinion is to run as large of a spur gear as possible then match the pinion to acheive the FDR you need. I guess the theory is to get as much torque as possible for the infield and have the FDR for the straight. Unless I got that wrong.

So I decided to go with a 64p 96/60 combo. Running that huge of a pinion seems really weird to me but with the high internal gearing of the TC3 its what I have to do to get the 4.0 range FDR. I was also looking at other options such as 75/47 or an overall smaller spur and pinion. Its so confusing what is the best to run without ever having tried something like it. I think I will also get a 40t pinion to run with the 96t spur so I can run around a 6.0 FDR for boosted modes.

I also plan on getting a TC6 sometime in the future so I think the motor combo will be a great on for that and my buddy with a TC6 runs the 96t spurs so some of the parts will transfer over I hope.

Any other suggestions for gearing? Do you think this LRP Stock Speck Combo would be a good choice and not overheat with the gearing I have chosen?

Heres a couple videos of the race track. Its smaller and has newer carpet but grip seemed good.

Video 1

Video 2
RussF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:50 AM   #11662
Tech Regular

Also what is a good, fast, strong servo for the TC3?
Old 12-14-2011, 09:04 AM   #11663
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I don't know about running a large spur... I run an 88 tooth in a TC3 and TC4 setup for VTA and RCGT respectively. I've considered running smaller now that they are available, but just haven't spent the money.

Theoretically, it will move the motor closer to the center line of the car but I'm definitely not a good enough driver to notice moving the motor millimeters closer to the center line.
pejota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:29 AM   #11664
Tech Regular

Ya me neither. I see talk about moving the battery and other balance stuff. My main goal for now is get something that fits in the car and work on the rest of the details later. lol!!
Old 12-14-2011, 10:51 AM   #11665
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I run a 76 spur. The largest that will work and still get to a 4.0 FDR is 88 and that is pushing it.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:15 AM   #11666
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Without mods to the chassis and motor mount assembly, yes.

Some creative dremel work on the motor cam and mount allows me to use some awfully huge pinions with plenty of room for adjustments. There are some pics of the mod in the VTA thread. I run 57/88 in VTA.
pejota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:02 PM   #11667
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussF View Post
So thanks for all the advice guys. After a bunch of reading it seems that a popular opinion is to run as large of a spur gear as possible then match the pinion to acheive the FDR you need. I guess the theory is to get as much torque as possible for the infield and have the FDR for the straight. Unless I got that wrong.

So I decided to go with a 64p 96/60 combo. Running that huge of a pinion seems really weird to me but with the high internal gearing of the TC3 its what I have to do to get the 4.0 range FDR. I was also looking at other options such as 75/47 or an overall smaller spur and pinion. Its so confusing what is the best to run without ever having tried something like it. I think I will also get a 40t pinion to run with the 96t spur so I can run around a 6.0 FDR for boosted modes.
The bigger the combination you use to create the same FDR, the smoother your gear mesh will be. That's because the larger radius will put more teeth in contact with each other. However, as it's been pointed out, there are limits to how far you can go with the mechanical adjustment of the motor and chassis clearance even with some modification. It does also impact the balance of the car. Your best bet is to put a combination together that lands you somewhere in the middle of the adjustment range of the motor cam and forget about all those other details except FDR. Reason is if you want to make quick adjustments, you can just go up or down a tooth on the pinion without swapping out spurs and the cars stays balanced better. The effect on overall torque keeping the same gear ratio with different combos is probably minimal.

This link has some pictures of modifications I made to the motor cam before there was a wider range of pinion/spur gear sizes available so that I could fit a 41t pinion with a 60t spur in 48pitch. It shouldn't be necessary anymore but it is still a good reference for the chassis and clamp mods.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:59 PM   #11668
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
I run a 76 spur. The largest that will work and still get to a 4.0 FDR is 88 and that is pushing it.
Are you talking about a 64 pitch gears?

Could you elaborate a bit on the above please? Are you saying that 88/55 will physically fit without modifications? I calculate 88/55 or 76/47 to acheive 4.0 FDR.

I'm good going with whatever works best with the least modifications. I'm good with a dremel but would rather drop it in and run it. If something closer to 76/47 gives more range of adjustment then I would prefer that.

Thanks for the help
Old 12-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #11669
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussF View Post
Are you talking about a 64 pitch gears?

Could you elaborate a bit on the above please? Are you saying that 88/55 will physically fit without modifications? I calculate 88/55 or 76/47 to acheive 4.0 FDR.

I'm good going with whatever works best with the least modifications. I'm good with a dremel but would rather drop it in and run it. If something closer to 76/47 gives more range of adjustment then I would prefer that.

Thanks for the help
I just did a quick "trial fit" on an unmodified chassis with a 88/49 combo (49t is the smallest 64p pinion I have) and the pinion just hits the webbing. So 88/55 won't work, but the 76/47 should work without mods.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:09 PM   #11670
Tech Regular

Awesome!! Thanks for doing that. I was holding off ordering until I had a better idea what would work. I'm ordering the motor and esc from Tower so I will go with the 75 tooth RR spur as well as a 46, 37, and 31 tooth pinion so I can go 4,5, and 6 FDR's.