R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-04-2011, 11:40 AM   #11566
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

The TC3 rack works great until you get a small parking lot pebble down in the rack. The pebble in the rack, locks the steering and the car doesn't turn at the end of the straight, and you end up with a DNF.
The design of the TC4 rack is much better as far as it won't lock up and design wise it will turn the car smoother.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:26 PM   #11567
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinbaja View Post
The TC3 rack works great until you get a small parking lot pebble down in the rack. The pebble in the rack, locks the steering and the car doesn't turn at the end of the straight, and you end up with a DNF.
The design of the TC4 rack is much better as far as it won't lock up and design wise it will turn the car smoother.
That can easily be fixed with a piece of lexan trimmed from the rim around a body shell and made into a "Rack Cover".

Tekin & Sweep, thanks for all that you do for you know who!

Associated/T.O.P./Mugen/Fantom/Spektrum/Savox
Buckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #11568
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

so tc3 and tc4 sway bar shapes are the same? It is just the end links that are different? Does anyone sell a bunch of sway bars so I don't have to buy 1 or two at a time? A company other than associated perhaps?

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
Tc4 sway bars work, and the end links can still be ordered. The links were used on several AE kits, like the B3 and T3... so parts are still available.

The Tc4 rack can be retrofitted, but it requires some chassis modification. As far as another aftermarket rack... not that i know of.

Whats wrong with the Tc3 rack? I actually prefer it over the Tc4 rack...
TT_Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:40 PM   #11569
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Eh... I agree about the pebble getting stuck in the rack, it is a possibility. I disagree about the Tc4 rack being a better design, IMO its improvements are outweighed by its shortcomings.

I would try the lexan shield as mentioned above. Ive hacked and modified Tc3/4 tubs for many a year now, but i never liked the Tc4 rack on the Tc3. Heck, i dont like the Tc4 rack on the Tc4! To each their own though... everyone likes something different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT_Vert View Post
so tc3 and tc4 sway bar shapes are the same? It is just the end links that are different? Does anyone sell a bunch of sway bars so I don't have to buy 1 or two at a time? A company other than associated perhaps?

Dave
Tc3/4 bars are the same shape, totally interchangeable. Its the links that are different. You need Tc3/B3/T3 endlink balls and plastics... they are assembled using short threaded rod.

BRP used to make sway bars for the Tc3... but i dont know if they are even in business anymore. You can buy the Tc3/4 bars from any AE distributor. They come in a 3 pack of different thicknesses.

For that matter, you can make your own out of appropriately sized piano wire. Just make sure they arent tweaked, and sit square and even on a piece of glass.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #11570
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Lightbulb Swaybars

TC3 front and rear swaybars are the same. Stormer Hobbies has 2 in stock part #3960. Hardware is included, $7.95 ea. Sway bar stiffness is adjusted by moving end links. I raced a TC3 outdoor on asphalt stock motor class, I tried the sway bars and ended up taking them off. We ran a speck rubber tire and I was trying to lessen inside edge tire wear, they never made a difference. Camber link adjustment helped.
THEBIGBULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:03 PM   #11571
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBIGBULL View Post
TC3 front and rear swaybars are the same. Stormer Hobbies has 2 in stock part #3960. Hardware is included, $7.95 ea. Sway bar stiffness is adjusted by moving end links. I raced a TC3 outdoor on asphalt stock motor class, I tried the sway bars and ended up taking them off. We ran a speck rubber tire and I was trying to lessen inside edge tire wear, they never made a difference. Camber link adjustment helped.
so there is no thicker bars? I'd like to perhaps buy a package of 3 bars in different thicknesses for the tc3

Dave
Old 04-04-2011, 09:18 PM   #11572
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

You could make them from some hobby grade "piano" wire, but the kit only includes one thickness of bar. I ran one on the front for years and thought it was helping me, but last year I finally pulled them off my cars and started playing more with camber links, which really improved performance in the corners and my overall laptimes on both smooth and bumpy tracks.
beemerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:27 PM   #11573
Tech Master

Quote:
http://www.teamassociated.com/pdf/ca...rack_cover.PDF

I've never tried building this cover because it's never been an issue for me on properly prepared tracks. It might be worth a try though. I have had a pebble stuck in the steering running the car on the street or unprepared parking lots.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:16 PM   #11574
Tech Elite

What did you do with the camber links and what problems did this correct?

Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerfan View Post
You could make them from some hobby grade "piano" wire, but the kit only includes one thickness of bar. I ran one on the front for years and thought it was helping me, but last year I finally pulled them off my cars and started playing more with camber links, which really improved performance in the corners and my overall laptimes on both smooth and bumpy tracks.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:25 AM   #11575
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT_Vert View Post
What did you do with the camber links and what problems did this correct?

Dave
I moved the rear inner links to the upper-inner hole and added a little more negative camber, around 2 degrees. This seems to have given me more rear grip without sacrificing steering. I'm able to go softer up front for more steering now without any oversteer. I should note that I tend to setup my cars with a bit of understeer to suit my driving style and the stabilizer bar in the front used to help with that. I like the car to be stable and forgiving in the corners. I've been doing this for years but I still setup my car like a beginner's because I simply don't want to work that hard. It's more fun for me to find a setup that is a good compromise for all the tracks I visit and I only make small adjustments between them. Also, my setups only work well on summer asphalt where I do all of my racing. I'm not much of a carpet guy and I don't race in the winter.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:25 PM   #11576
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

BRP (Bud's Racing Products) makes/made thicker sway bars that will work on a TC3/TC4. I just checked their website and couldn't find them. I did check eBay and found a set there. (http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories)

BRP did have a much thicker sway bar than you could get from Associated for the TC3. You can order a TC3 sway bar kit here (http://order.aeteam.net/product_deta...?Itemcode=3969) You can also order the TC4 sway bars from Asssociated as well.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:26 AM   #11577
Tech Elite

thanks for the help guys.

Dave
Old 04-14-2011, 06:57 PM   #11578
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default TC3 steering issue?

The steering rack on my TC3 does not have full travel in both directions. The tie rod arms on the carriers stop hard against the caster blocks before the rack can travel all the way. I also have 5 or 6 degrees less travel when turning to the right with the carrier against the stop on the caster block.
Any thoughts?
Old 04-14-2011, 09:12 PM   #11579
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

With your rack and radio centered, does the link from servo arm to rack make a 90 degree angle with the servo arm?
Old 04-14-2011, 09:26 PM   #11580
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Smile TC3 steering

Search google Rc10, Click on manuals, scroll down to discontinued models. Download TC3 manual. Scroll through the pages until you find the steering build section, it shows and describes steering, servo and radio set up. You may have to adjust the end points on the radio to limit servo travel. Good luck.
THEBIGBULL is offline   Reply With Quote