R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-12-2002, 03:31 PM   #1066
Tech Initiate

Wolfe-

Just based on what I've heard from some of the Associated guys, the VCS macro shocks have a tendency to kind of "stick" if they have been sitting around for a while.

To see if your shocks are still rebounding, pump them a few times first. If you still get no rebound, then I would open the shock up and check the oil. If it's still relatively clear, then I would just opt to add back some fluid, rebleed and reset the rebound. If the fluid is extemely dirty, then I would rebuild it.

Hope this helps,
DT
Dennis Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 07:05 PM   #1067
Tech Regular

Modena AL > It was hardbite smooth asphalt indoor track. (5 words.

wolfeman09 > Do I need two sway bars? I thought I would buy one and try either front or rear. When's my paycheck coming?

Do you run front oneway? Does it loose much traction?

I went to hardware store and bought a small plastic tool box that everybody at the track uses.
Nice, I can put all the drivers, spare parts in the box.

Now I would look more like a pro driver until I start driving the car.

Wow, I'm a hacker now.
How apropriate.
rcruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 07:49 PM   #1068
Ty
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Does anyone know where I can find a Tech Racing front one-way for the TC3 in USA? I heard the stock one is quite fragile and the Tech Racing version has a larger bearing similar to the new Heavy Duty Yokomo front one-way. Thanks everyone, please let me know.

Modena: I will be running on unprepped asphalt this summer and was wondering if you recommend the Sorex 32R with red or green HPI inserts? Also, what can I use as traction compound (racer's choice, paragon, trinity) that will help on rubber tires on asphalt? And how many runs should I expect out of the tires? Thanks so much.
Ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 08:36 PM   #1069
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Ty

Modena: I will be running on unprepped asphalt this summer and was wondering if you recommend the Sorex 32R with red or green HPI inserts? Also, what can I use as traction compound (racer's choice, paragon, trinity) that will help on rubber tires on asphalt? And how many runs should I expect out of the tires? Thanks so much.
I use HPI red inserts for stock racing because they allow the tires to heat up very quickly. For modified I would use the slightly firmer greens because of the faster speed in modified, which will still let them heat up quickly...but won't tear them apart as fast. When I ran stock I couldn't make my car break traction with that tire/insert combination... the car was HOOKED! Paragon works really good with rubber tires on asphalt, I tried the trinity and it didn't work very well for me (seemed to slid around a bit), Paragon had my car glued to the track. Expect alot of runs out of these tires. I used my 32Rs for 6 race weekends (6+ packs)...so I have about 36 runs on them and they are still going strong. Look practically new, and HOOK UP like they are new!

Use this track temperature guide to decide which tires you should use:

Sorex 28Rs - 68 to 84 degrees
Sorex 32Rs - 81 to 96 degrees
Sorex 36Rs - 96 - 151+ degrees
Sorex 40Rs - 120 - 170+ degrees (or...too hot to handle )

Hope this helps and good luck!
Modena AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 09:24 PM   #1070
Tech Addict

Ty: Overgear is selling his, you can PM him.
ME-student is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 10:00 PM   #1071
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to redsand

Quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Tom
Wolfe-

Just based on what I've heard from some of the Associated guys, the VCS macro shocks have a tendency to kind of "stick" if they have been sitting around for a while.
To see if your shocks are still rebounding, pump them a few times first. If you still get no rebound, then I would open the shock up and check the oil. If it's still relatively clear, then I would just opt to add back some fluid, rebleed and reset the rebound. If the fluid is extemely dirty, then I would rebuild it.

Hope this helps,
DT
Shock oils have a tendecy to thin out, if you simply add more oil would it affect overall the oil viscocity even if its still relatively clear ?
redsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 12:52 AM   #1072
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Ty: check your PM
over gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 02:05 AM   #1073
Tech Initiate

Redsand-

No, if it's realtively clear, then the seals (o-rings) are still good. Although the shock oil may thin out somewhat, I seriously doubt that anyone could measure enough difference to where it affected performance.

The oil in your shocks are not subjected to the extreme temperature changes as say motor oil (which is used to lubricate and cool the motor). So, with the minimal amount of movement combined with the lack of heat generated from the internal moving parts of a shock means that the oil should last a long, long time without any denegration.

Seepage (loss of volume) and contamination are more of a "real" concern as those factors greatly affect the performance of a shock.

If thinning oil in the shocks were a concern, we'd all be taking our cars (real ones) in for a motor oil change and shock oil change. The fact that we do the former, but not the latter tells me that shock oil thinning is not a concern.

DT
Dennis Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 03:20 AM   #1074
Tech Adept

Airwide

I heard you tested some special wings some time ago. Have you found something?
moonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 06:06 AM   #1075
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I used to run Andy's bodies...used to run for them. Some, ummm, problems, made it a little more difficult to continue to do that, so I switched to Protoform. I didn't notice THAT much of a difference...maybe the Protoform isn't quite as aggressive. Very slight difference, though.

Wolf- Rebuild, dood.
CompetitionX.com
R Sector / F1 Paint Labs
TPhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 11:04 AM   #1076
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to wolfeman09 Send a message via Yahoo to wolfeman09

Regarding Shocks > thanks for everyone's response!! tomorrow is the day to take the whole car appart to rebuild, blast the bearing, paint a body, and mount tires. Oh what a fun day I have

RCRUV > yes you want 2 sway bars for SoCal.

For outside parking lot, you really should not have to add any tire traction. The only thing i have used for years in Green Alcohol to clean the tires. You will be suprised how sticky they become. I also used to use Simple Green, but latley it has not been working.

You can also try Yokomo 138gs with Yok Hard inserts and TakeOffs for parking lot. You cant go wrong with any of these or the Sorex. My 36r still look like new after a ton of racing on them.
wolfeman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 02:54 PM   #1077
Regional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Mike F

Quote:
Originally posted by Modena AL

I use HPI red inserts for stock racing because they allow the tires to heat up very quickly. For modified I would use the slightly firmer greens because of the faster speed in modified, which will still let them heat up quickly...but won't tear them apart as fast. When I ran stock I couldn't make my car break traction with that tire/insert combination... the car was HOOKED! Paragon works really good with rubber tires on asphalt, I tried the trinity and it didn't work very well for me (seemed to slid around a bit), Paragon had my car glued to the track. Expect alot of runs out of these tires. I used my 32Rs for 6 race weekends (6+ packs)...so I have about 36 runs on them and they are still going strong. Look practically new, and HOOK UP like they are new!

Use this track temperature guide to decide which tires you should use:

Sorex 28Rs - 68 to 84 degrees
Sorex 32Rs - 81 to 96 degrees
Sorex 36Rs - 96 - 151+ degrees
Sorex 40Rs - 120 - 170+ degrees (or...too hot to handle )

Hope this helps and good luck!
I didn't realize you used traction compound Alan . Hey do you have any of those 32R's in stock?
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 06:31 PM   #1078
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to redsand
Default bearings

hey wolfman09, how do you clean your teflon sealed bearings ? Do you take the seal out and then blast the inside of the bearing ?
The other day when I was cleaning up the bearings, I took all the seals off - yet I wasn't happy doing that, it was a pain in the azz. It was so time consuming job. I'd rather be doing or fixing something else on my tc3.
redsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 08:53 PM   #1079
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike F

I didn't realize you used traction compound Alan . Hey do you have any of those 32R's in stock?
I used it at regionals, where it was legal

As of 6 o'clock tonight, we had 32R's in stock. I would hurry though...TnT is approaching fast! I got my tires over a month ago

BTW I knew that comment was going to come from someone at the track...it was only a matter of time, lol

Last edited by Modena AL; 02-13-2002 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-13-2002, 08:58 PM   #1080
Tech Master

I bought a TC3 from a friend and all the bearings in the hub carriers were missing the teflon shields off one side...not sure why . How should I go about cleaning these?