Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-07-2005, 03:26 PM   #9841
Tech Adept

Default Re: input shafts

Input Shafts? Do you mean outdrives?

MIKE

Quote:
Originally posted by tom235
has anyone tried or are they running light weight input shafts and do you think they make a diff.
MadMikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 03:59 PM   #9842
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

no he means input shafts. i got some IRS ones and i like them, probably not enought to tell to much but when you hold the stock ones in one hand and the aluminum ones u can really feel a weight difference. I like to think every little bit helps
Old 04-07-2005, 05:48 PM   #9843
Tech Addict

my guess is when assoc first came out with the TC3 the only diff the had was the heavy steel one in both the racer and team kits.
But eventualy they came out with the lightweight molded outdrives. And now the offer the lightened steal ones to.
I did not like the molded ones I broke a ton of them LOL and the steel ones at the time weighed to much. I ended up using the IRS alumunum outdrives and at that time they did not have the d-ring type. the first d-ring type I got was a set of used ones I got from a friend that where made from a delrin matetial (not sure of manufacturer) but they where not a d-ring type you had to glue the diff rings to the hub or they would slip and you would melt the hubs from the friction. And finaly I got a set of IRS aluminums that where the d-ring type and they have lasted close to 3 years in my TC3 and are now in my TC4 and show no signs of wear thanks to the IRS pin cushions.
Jmccormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 05:57 PM   #9844
Tech Addict

light weight input shaft cups

My opinion is whenever you can reduce the weight in anything that rotates you gain more torque making the car accelerate better. although the cups alone wont be very noticable the cups along with lighter outdrives and a free drivetrain will make a very noticable differance.
and your right every little but helps.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:50 PM   #9845
Tech Regular

im going to get the light weight shafts on friday and i'm going to give them a try plus i'm going with the robinson racing thin spur and see what happens. i know its small but just as you all said every little bit helps
tom235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 11:51 AM   #9846
Tech Initiate

Hey guys. Can I get a little help? Im a noob, so I need some assistance with the car's setup. I went to the track last night (SoCal Raceway) for my first practice session and it wasnt pretty. Im not really interested in speed right now, but just making the car easier to drive. What kind of setup should I be looking for? I have it set to the base factory specs as in the manual right now. The problem is that the car seems to be REALLY slow on turn-in at low speed, but once it turns, it turns a bit too fast. Not loose, per se, but just fast. At high speeds, the car is twitchy. Its not very forgiving. Is there a way to get this corrected? Im running the battery toward the rear and using the correct tires and inserts (Sorex 36R and mediums) as well as traction compound. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Jive
Jiveslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 12:20 PM   #9847
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to diskostew

Quote:
Originally posted by Jiveslug
Hey guys. Can I get a little help? Im a noob, so I need some assistance with the car's setup. I went to the track last night (SoCal Raceway) for my first practice session and it wasnt pretty. Im not really interested in speed right now, but just making the car easier to drive. What kind of setup should I be looking for? I have it set to the base factory specs as in the manual right now. The problem is that the car seems to be REALLY slow on turn-in at low speed, but once it turns, it turns a bit too fast. Not loose, per se, but just fast. At high speeds, the car is twitchy. Its not very forgiving. Is there a way to get this corrected? Im running the battery toward the rear and using the correct tires and inserts (Sorex 36R and mediums) as well as traction compound. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Jive
PM me and I can email you my TC3 SoCal Setup sheet.
diskostew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 01:10 PM   #9848
Tech Addict

in my opinion beginners shouldnt worry about lap times until they can get around the track without hitting the barriers to much and you feel comfortable around other cars. If you pay attention to lap times all the time your more then likely going to push yourself to go faster(to get a better lap time) and that doesnt do a beginner any good especialy if they dont see imediate improvment and get frustrated because the lap times are slower because they are driving above what thier ability allows. you need to walk before you run.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:26 PM   #9849
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Jive - if you've got all your settings correct (camber, ackerman, toe-out, etc.) then it might be something else like the servo or your radio settings. You should also ask one of the regulars to drive your car to see if they can pick out any problems with your car. Keep at it, don't give up. Someday you'll be bumped up, and then you'll be hooked.

All - anyone have any problems with fitting the composite diff halves? Mine seem a shade too long, even with all the shims taken out. I also can't fit both bearings in it, or the balls won't even make contact with the D rings. It's probably a really old composite diff, so if they had problems with their first run, mine is probably one of them.
gibbous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 06:36 PM   #9850
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by gibbous
Jive - if you've got all your settings correct (camber, ackerman, toe-out, etc.) then it might be something else like the servo or your radio settings. You should also ask one of the regulars to drive your car to see if they can pick out any problems with your car. Keep at it, don't give up. Someday you'll be bumped up, and then you'll be hooked.

All - anyone have any problems with fitting the composite diff halves? Mine seem a shade too long, even with all the shims taken out. I also can't fit both bearings in it, or the balls won't even make contact with the D rings. It's probably a really old composite diff, so if they had problems with their first run, mine is probably one of them.
it sound like you have the wrong bearings. you can't use regular size bearings they are not thin anough
tom235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 02:52 AM   #9851
Tech Adept

If you are already at the factory settings, then rather than tinker with settings which you may (I apologise if I do you a disservice here) not understand, I recommend addressing the twitchiness by dialing out some expo on your steering in the transmitter, if your radio supports this. This is a great learning / track learning aid because you can easily dial the level of twitchiness you are comfortable with as your skill improves or as you move to a different track etc, all without changing the car setup which will have compromising effect in other areas of handling.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jiveslug

Jive
MadMikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 05:29 AM   #9852
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to ThePrfctGetaway

Quote:
Originally posted by Jmccormick
in my opinion beginners shouldnt worry about lap times until they can get around the track without hitting the barriers to much and you feel comfortable around other cars. If you pay attention to lap times all the time your more then likely going to push yourself to go faster(to get a better lap time) and that doesnt do a beginner any good especialy if they dont see imediate improvment and get frustrated because the lap times are slower because they are driving above what thier ability allows. you need to walk before you run.
well said. well said. I used to run fast when I started racing, and it did me NO good. But a couple people at my LT, said that I should turn down the ESC and get used to driving it slower, then once you're consistent, turn it up a little and keep being consistent. thank god for the limiter on the Novak Dually!

Last edited by ThePrfctGetaway; 04-09-2005 at 07:25 PM.
ThePrfctGetaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 09:30 AM   #9853
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

At our track we tell the rookies who are worried about lap times "You must first finish to finish first." Yeah it's corny and we didn't invent it but it's the truth.

How do I get the shielding out of my bearings to clean them out? I have rubber shielded ones.

[URL="http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=83030&highlight=Red"]My RC Tech Feedback Thread[/URL][/B]
Red Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 11:05 AM   #9854
Tech Adept

Default Shielding{rubber}

You might have to get a magnifying glass to see it but there is a hair sized retaining ring that holds the seal in. You can use a #11 x-acto blade in your knife handle and find the end of it and pry it out. It must be a new blade with a very sharp tip. ( you will probably poke yourself at least once). Then after you get the retaining ring out you can pry out the rubber seal. Then clean and oil lightly One or 2 drops is all you need.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:23 PM   #9855
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to ThePrfctGetaway
Default Re: Shielding{rubber}

Quote:
Originally posted by Trixter
(you will probably poke yourself at least once)
some don't learn their lesson after one time (cough cough, me)

Quote:
Originally posted by Red Z
How do I get the shielding out of my bearings to clean them out? I have rubber shielded ones.
i have rubber too. i'd think about switching to teflon sealed eventually.
ThePrfctGetaway is offline   Reply With Quote