R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree4Likes

Old 02-01-2005, 11:53 PM   #9616
Tech Addict

Default Gearing Question.

I have a mate with a Tc3.

Anybody know what gearing to run with a Monster Horsepower stock.

Thanks.
Ybakoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 01:37 AM   #9617
Tech Rookie

Default tc3 gearing/ monster

there is a wide range of gearing ratios you can use on the tc3,i assume you are running the car outdoors on a r/c track?
first job is to look at the track, is it a technical track, more infield corners than straits, how long is the track,try and practice using various ratios to get the maximum from your motor, as a example using a 72 spur and a 27 pinion the gear ratio would be 6-66
or a 73 spur and a 27 pinion the ratio is 6-75 or a 74 spur and a 27 pinion the ratio is 6-85, as you can see by changing spur gears you can maximise performance from your motor
alan orton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 06:01 AM   #9618
Tech Regular

Default Re: Gearing Question.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ybakoff
I have a mate with a Tc3.

Anybody know what gearing to run with a Monster Horsepower stock.

Thanks.
Just before the end of the longest straightaway, the motor should reach peak rpm. That will give the best performance in the infield and straightaway.
JWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 06:19 AM   #9619
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to primusblowsgoat Send a message via Yahoo to primusblowsgoat

i just ran a monster in my tc3 on a very large track last weekend, the gearing that worked best was a 72/22, the motor reached temps that were too high if i went with a bigger pinion, with the 22 had good straight speed and came out of the corners well, and was still getting pretty hot, about 160 degrees
primusblowsgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 01:58 PM   #9620
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Location: Singapore ̡͌ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡V
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Hi guys,i've got a question to ask...besides IRS spur gear adapter,what other brands are there available?My friend told me that IRS makes one of the best hop up spur gear adapter,but i wanna know what other brands are there,and are they as good as the IRS adapter?Whats the most durable or best in the market?Replies will be greatly appreciated.Thanks guys
Funkymojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 02:13 PM   #9621
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to crACkeD ChaSsiS Send a message via Yahoo to crACkeD ChaSsiS
Default aluminum question?

can i ask why would some1 get and aluminum part?im not trying to start nything, but doesnt aluminum just make the car heavier? i know there are some places u can put the Irs and other brands on your car and it will benefit you, like aluminum a-arms, your arms would hardly ever break.just wondering bcuz im thinking about getting a few Irs hop-ups like spur adaptor and Irs input shafts! lmk wat u guyz think
crACkeD ChaSsiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 03:08 PM   #9622
PaZ
Tech Master

i found the ally steering rack great. It gets rid of any flex or bend that i got in the plastic one. A great investment. But i spose having almost every part of my TC3 ally its all good. It handles better and looks great. esxpecially on me Blue warpspeed demon on the way
CT Race Bodies
PaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 06:10 PM   #9623
Tech Regular

paz have you ever thrown those aluminum arms up on a scale and compaired them to the stadard arms?
i one of my arms pretty bad last summer,the thing just blew apart and i was thinking about getting them but i was discuraged because somesone told me they would bend, but now that i think about it, if that happens you can just take a wooden mallet and tap it back, but im more interested in the weight diffrence?
kh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 06:17 PM   #9624
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to crACkeD ChaSsiS Send a message via Yahoo to crACkeD ChaSsiS
Default weight issues

kh15- hey i have the same concerns about weight issues! aluminum parts are heavier than graphite parts! i know the aluminum parts are stronger but u get the added weight thats the downsize. i guess ill just practice until i get good enough to were i hardly ever break/need aluminum arms or w/e. my 2cents
Old 02-02-2005, 06:19 PM   #9625
Super Moderator

Quote:
Hi guys,i've got a question to ask...besides IRS spur gear adapter,what other brands are there available?My friend told me that IRS makes one of the best hop up spur gear adapter,but i wanna know what other brands are there,and are they as good as the IRS adapter?Whats the most durable or best in the market?Replies will be greatly appreciated.Thanks guys

Anyone can help me out?Thanks
Old 02-02-2005, 06:27 PM   #9626
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I think Trinty and Hardcore racing make spur gear adapters. IRS stuff is top notch so you cant go rong there.

Aluminum stuff is quite heavy. The problem is that instead of breaking like a plastic/ graphite part it will either bend or tranfer more energy from the impact to the next part in the chain. When you crash hard enough to break a regular A-arm, you usually bend a hinge pin. I would imagine that with aluminum arms you will bend a ton of hinge pins plus stretch out the holes on the suspension mounts. Caster blocks and steering blocks will probably be breaking with more frequency as well.

As far as bending aluminum back with a hammer, you will never get it perfectly straight again. This will cause all kinds of inconsistent handleing issues.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:29 PM   #9627
Tech Regular

yea if thier any heavier i dont want them, its pretty rare that i crash bad enough to break something but i swipe rails here and thier, my tc3 is pretty heavie i think now, i need to buy and scale this weekend to see, but whats the min/max weight thats standard for racing?
Old 02-02-2005, 06:50 PM   #9628
Tech Addict

Default weight

kh15-which tc3 do u run factory graphite or regular composite?only thing i would get thats aluminum is the drive shaft and i have the factory team cvds and screws.ya its pretty rare that i crash 2 and when i do break its when some1 hits me.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:55 PM   #9629
Super Moderator

Quote:
I think Trinty and Hardcore racing make spur gear adapters. IRS stuff is top notch so you cant go rong there.
Thanks for the reply,well i don't like aluminium arms at all,they bend and they are heavier then the stock arms,and brands like GPM dont fit well...my friend bought the GPM aluminium arms and the fit was horrible.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:01 PM   #9630
Tech Regular

im running a completely stock rtr tc3 except for the motor ,batts, and work on the diff cases of coarse. how much of a weight diffrent are between graphite and the stock plastic parts?