Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree65Likes

TC3 Forum

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 10:04 PM
Tech Adept

Have heard of this problem. There are a few guys that swear by converting the Electric rack over to the Nitro rack. A little sanding and some drilling and it mounts right on. They are cheap and easy to install. No more bump/drag.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yeah Hackers are HUGE. Makes for a very tight fit.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:23 PM
Tech Master

I was wondering how much of a different setup should there be between 190mm and 200mm conversion?
and can the handling be significantly better at 200mm?
Old 05-21-2004, 12:04 AM
Tech Addict

Talking

Hey guys,
I picked up a cheap TC3 the other day which I will be crashing into other cars very soon. I'm looking forward to the challenge of a new chassis, having been through the MR4/Losi G+ forums already with my previous toys.

Should be fun
Old 05-21-2004, 09:50 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by MarchTC3
griffin,

sometimes the rack will have high spots where the bearing gets pinched a little. take a sharpie or mark where its binding and lightly sand with fine grit sandpaper where its binding. dont go too far tho, a little will do the trick.
Well, I followed your advice and problem solved.

I still don't understand it though. What was the root cause of the binding? I tried 2 different racks and both had the exact same problem in the same spot.

Why was my steering fine for quite a while and then *BAM* it had high spots causing binding? Was it really the rack that deformed or was it somthing else and the sanding just masked the problem?

Total freaking mystery.

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-21-2004, 10:12 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Griffin

I still don't understand it though. What was the root cause of the binding? I tried 2 different racks and both had the exact same problem in the same spot.

Why was my steering fine for quite a while and then *BAM* it had high spots causing binding? Was it really the rack that deformed or was it somthing else and the sanding just masked the problem?

Total freaking mystery.

Thanks for the help!
well all the steering racks are made from the same tooling... you might want to change to an aftermarket alluminum rack... that is what i did and my steering has been perfect ever since!
Old 05-21-2004, 10:16 AM
Tech Adept

Or switch to the XXX-S and hope and pray that you don't have the same problems.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:08 AM
Tech Regular

Check the screw that assembles the servo saver. If you get it too tight, it will drag on the shaft.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

If anyone looking for some tc3 or other cars Steel screws let me know i got over 400+ screws 4 sale(I know this isnt 4sale thread)
Old 05-21-2004, 03:50 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by JDXray
motor mount might be tight, also what esc are you using?
sorry for the delay in reponding. I'm running the GT7, motor mount is not that tight but thanks for the suggestion.
Old 05-21-2004, 03:54 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by True R/C Racing
Well, Check ur mesh. If its too tight that can cause it too. Other than that i can't say much w/o it being in my hand. you mgith want to try going Lighter springs too on motor if your really worried
mesh is set correctly, just a slight play from the pinion to the spur. I acutally thought about putting the Trinity stock springs on it and taken the lightspeed ones off.

I did talk with Mark at LightSpeed and he said that sometimes one or 2 will slip by. What he said to do was to recut the comm, get some new springs and brushes and see if that fixes the problem.

Any word on those new Cobalt motors? Anyone know where I can read up on them?

Thanks to everyone that reponded. Not sure what i would have done without this coolarse site
Old 05-21-2004, 07:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally posted by trx1
where can i find a good place for hop ups at id like to get a aluminum center shaft, and a set of arms, if possible
Ebay!
Old 05-22-2004, 02:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Griffin

Total freaking mystery.

Thanks for the help!
Where the berrings slide on the rack, sometimes there are burrs where the ballstuds are attached for the steering linkages. I used an Xacto knife to scrape out these burrs and that elimanated any binding.
Old 05-23-2004, 04:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

bubbles

I have had tight spots crop up durring carpet racing before ... not a big deal .. just crud or some fine dust / dirt gets in there and as the rack moves the bearings or bushings (whichever you use) compress it until it becomes a tight spot ... scrape it out and its all good ... if you run on a constantly dirty track what you might consider is something I saw in RCCA magazines tech tips section .. save the side trimmings from a new body and cut a flat section of lexan out of it to cover the top of the rack assembly .. then install it in place of the washers ... it will probibly slow the rack a little ( I have never tried it ) but it might save the dirt and gunk from gettin in there ... I'll have to go look for the issue so you can check out a picture of it ... but basically measure from the rack all the way one way to all the way the other then cut out a strip just longer than that and just wider than the rack is wide pop two holes in it the width of the rack mounting screws apart to center the lexan and hold it in place with the nylon rack nuts .. and your all set to go ... if I find that issue I will post it and the page here or scan in the image and post it ...

ok heres the picture ... thanks to Airage publishing and Radio Controlled Car Action Magazine and Billy McGaha who submitted the tip .. scaned from RCCA Feb 2002 issue page 58 .. I think that solves the legal niceities ...

have fun racing

E

Last edited by roddude65; 05-23-2004 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-23-2004, 04:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

ok ... now that I have figured out how to post a pic without it being on the net already .. heres the picture of the tip I mentined above

have fun racing

E
Attached Thumbnails TC3 Forum-racktip.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.