R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-28-2002, 09:03 AM   #841
Tech Adept

That gearing is fairly high, no wonder your motor gets hot.

I typically run a 27/78 with a P2K and that can be geared higher than a P2K2, I would start off gearing at 78/25 and work from there.

Last edited by patcollins; 01-28-2002 at 05:43 PM.
patcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 09:48 AM   #842
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: CRC clicker shocks

Quote:
Originally posted by Buda
Any using these? Idea sounds good as the need to rebuild shocks for different tracks is not needed but is the aplication of it done well? Are they smooth? Are they durable? etc
i just got a set last week, but i've yet to try 'em out. i picked up a losi xxx-s about a month ago, and i've been working mainly on that car.

the instructions and the building of these shocks is relatively easy. the shocks are valved for a very light oil. 10 wt. at the softest setting is equivalent to 40 wt. and at the heaviest setting it is equal to 70-80 wt.

i think the hardest part about these shocks is trying to figure spring and oil combo is going to work best. the guys at calandra told me to use 10 as my base weight and mess with the springs from there.
diesel31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 10:10 AM   #843
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by Impreza

Also, my motors in my TC3 seem to always run very hot. Last Friday my P2K2 with 27/69 gearing was running at about 220*F after a 5 min run. Is there anything I can do to get it to run cooler?

[/B]
the 69 tooth is a good spur to stay with, but you might want to try either a 25 or 26. i actually race with three pinions. for a tight track, lot of stop and go's and switchbacks, i'd go with a 24. for medium tightness, a 25. if it's fairly wide open i'd go with a 26. i've tried a 27, but i don't think my track had enough straightway to maximize the top end potential, besides it felt sluggish on the bottom end.

as for temperature, my motors come off the track at 130-165 degrees farenheit ( i use an exergen heat gun - it's your most accurate) and they seem to perform best at around the temp. range.

i think the bigger problem is gearing correctly for the track layout. even one tooth off (too high or too low) can make a remarkable change.
Old 01-28-2002, 11:50 AM   #844
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
just got a set last week, but i've yet to try 'em out. i picked up a losi xxx-s about a month ago, and i've been working mainly on that car.
can you keep me informed please?
Buda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 12:04 PM   #845
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to wolfeman09 Send a message via Yahoo to wolfeman09

Here is my gearing for the P2K 72/27-32 Depending on track size. I usually run a 72/30 for most tracks.

For the P2K2, 72/25-28. I ran a 72/27 yesterday and it was flying.
wolfeman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 08:48 PM   #846
Tech Regular

Anybody have used or using Take off cs tires and Yokomo tires?
Are they good?

What are the equivalant tires of Sorex 32R and 36R?

I want to try either of them out to just feel the difference.

Thanks for the help.

Another question,
Is left tire supposed to move in same direction when I slowly turn the right tire or in different direction?

I adjusted front and rear diff because rear felt a little softer than the front. Now they feel about the same.

Next thing is to rebuild the shocks.

I'm kinna finding and correcting small mistakes I didn't notice when building the kit.
Now with 20/72 10T caliber, motor is running so cold. It was really really hot before.

I hope my TC3 runs faster now.
Only if I can control it.
rcruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 11:09 PM   #847
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by rcruv
Is left tire supposed to move in same direction when I slowly turn the right tire or in different direction?

I adjusted front and rear diff because rear felt a little softer than the front. Now they feel about the same.

Now with 20/72 10T caliber, motor is running so cold. It was really really hot before.
Regarding the diff question I must say you've tightened so much the diff and eliminated almost them the differential effect. This can harm the driveability of the car (It should like drive a solid axle car...).

with a 20/72 you are running a 9:1 ratio who is so short. The motor runs cool but the high end speed is harm and the battery time is excessive, every second you run past 5 minutes 30 seconds is lost battery, reduce slowly the ratio (go up in pinion size) until you get those running time with a strong battery pack (the motor should be hot running after a 5 minute main).

P.D: All US racers: what you feel running 5 minute heats rather than 4 minute heats?
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 12:36 AM   #848
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

CORSE R. We run my son's TC3 on 71 x 30 with a 12 x 2 motor. It will give 5.30 that way.

Overgearing blues the brushes and makes everything unnecessarily hot, and remember HEAT IS THE ENEMY.

Undergearing will keep everything cool, but won't win you any races. We have found 30 x 70 to 72 about right for 5 minute racing.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 12:58 AM   #849
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by johnbull
Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

Overgearing blues the brushes and makes everything unnecessarily hot, and remember HEAT IS THE ENEMY.
I know this, but a ratio of 9:1 for a 10 turns seems me so excessive and not competitive (doesn't matter what kind of motor you drive). About 9:1 was my ratio for my 8x3 LRP motor, two years ago (the last time I've used was with 2400 cells).
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 02:03 AM   #850
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to Airwide Send a message via MSN to Airwide

I think it's hard to recommend a certain gearing. it depends on so many variables, like track size(most european tracks are huge), and type of motor. For example we geared a Ti setup 10 turn at 7.5 (24/72 I believe) at an indoor carpet meeting this winter. The track was tight and with a 30m straight. It might seem like a very tall gearing for that track, but the Ti setup has a lot of torque, especially with the torque blank.

It's a big difference in gearing for different brands of motors. It's even possible that two different kinds(amount of wire and type of armature) of the same wind from the same manufacturer may need a 2-3 teeth difference in gearing.

One more thing; A motor can get too hot if you are undergearing it too much as well.
Airwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 02:41 AM   #851
dw
Tech Adept

Anybody use the fastrax one way?
Have much trouble with it?
Tried one in my car on Saturday and didn't even make the end of the warm up lap before the outdrive snapped.
Admittedly I clipped a hose but I was on less than a 1/4 throttle at the time and hardly moving as I was lining the car up ready for the start of the race. The car didn't even slow or change course.
However I don't think I can afford the associated unit at 3 times the price.
So far in two seasons racing with the car it's the only thing thats failed apart from the hingepins.

On a brighter note though I didn't have enough time to change the setup back totally after installing a diff and the car turned out better than I've had it for ages
dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 10:02 AM   #852
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by Corse-R

P.D: All US racers: what you feel running 5 minute heats rather than 4 minute heats?
about a month ago, our racetrack was packed! there were about 16-18 heats and racing began at 6:00 p.m. the owner of the track (jim) was announcing that night and he wanted to get everyone out at a decent hour, so he cut all the heats (save for pro stock & mod) to 4 minutes. noble gesture, but i would've prefered the full 5 minutes. here's my reasoning: i got rid of all my 2000's and i really don't think my best 3000 was nearly as punchy as my best 2000, atleast for 4 minute racing. there is alot that can happen in that last minute. my driving style is more of a race of attrition. the majority of my wins come from battling through the field and traffic...and that usually takes me the entire 5 minutes.
Old 01-29-2002, 03:27 PM   #853
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Impreza

How do you calculate the Final Drive Ratio of a TC3, whats the internal drive ratio?
Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 03:29 PM   #854
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to Airwide Send a message via MSN to Airwide

The internal ratio is 2.5.
Airwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 03:54 PM   #855
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

anyone tried the IRS stiffening kit for TC3? it looks like a couple of carbon fiber strips that install on the sides of the stock TC3 chassis. do they hold up well in a crash? are they necessary, since i still have the stock chassis, not the molded graphite one? thanks for any info
marvi is offline   Reply With Quote