R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-16-2004, 07:35 PM   #8416
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by tc3rookie
would there be any negative impacts by cutting the heat sink part off the motor clamp? (i still have the black steel one) i run stock on a tight track. any info would be appreciated. thanks.
See "johnbull's" posting a few ones back, he's got a heatsinkless motorclamp from Fastrax. Should be ok for stock.
Java1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 10:40 PM   #8417
Tech Adept

java1970-
thanks for the thoughts, i saw that post, which is why i asked.
i'm think gonna try it. i dont think it will make much difference in cooling, since the heatsinks don't actually touch the motor. i'll tell you guys how it goes. thanks.
tc3rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 12:58 AM   #8418
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Bubblestc3 Send a message via Yahoo to Bubblestc3

Quote:
Originally posted by tc3rookie
would there be any negative impacts by cutting the heat sink part off the motor clamp? (i still have the black steel one) i run stock on a tight track. any info would be appreciated. thanks.
I was bored and decided to try this. The first time I cut the clamp too small and it broke in half but the second one I cut, nothing went wrong, and it works just fine . Although I do not know if it made much of a difference, it does take some weight off of the car's overall weight though. I cut Chad's too, but again, he did not notice much of a difference in performance.
Bubblestc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 06:02 AM   #8419
ozi
Tech Rookie

Cool Brushless TC3

Hi guys I was just wondering has anybody got any tips or problems with puting a novak brushless in a TC3. I have just bought a car im going to use for Mod and thought i would give brushless a go.
ozi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 11:17 AM   #8420
Tech Adept

Default Re: Brushless TC3

Quote:
Originally posted by ozi
Hi guys I was just wondering has anybody got any tips or problems with puting a novak brushless in a TC3. I have just bought a car im going to use for Mod and thought i would give brushless a go.
I bought one two weeks ago and ran it in every car I have, works really well. I bought the 4300 (stock) set up and, on the unlimited setting, it ran really fast in the TC3, but the best was the run time and that it was not hot, like my 9X2 gets on the same gearing. It was not as fast as my 9X2, but it's not the "mod" Novak motor and the difference was barely detectable, I ran one right after another and that was how I could tell. I have yet to play with the gearing, since I got more run time and cooler running, due to the unfortunate contact with the curb (parts in the mail, LOL), but I'm sure I could get the speed up to the same as the 9X2.
Java1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 12:57 PM   #8421
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The stock black heatsink that comes with the TC3 is really useless. The only area that actually contacts the motor is the motor cam, and there the motor clamp/heatsink contacts the cam to draw SOME heat off of the motor. Cutting the heatsink part off of the motor clamp helps in two areas, one is insignificant on its own, and that is lower CG. The other is very noticeable, and that is tweak. The added weight you are taking off of that end of the car, makes the car that much easier to tweak out on a tweak board. The idea is to build the car with as little added weight or shock adjustment to tweak the car for neutral. If you have to add weight, or twist on your shock collars alot to adjust for weight bias, then the car will not be as efficient as it could be. Keep in mind, this varies with electronics used and placement. As mentioned earlier, an added fan, like in Johnbull's pictures, works very well when added directly to the battery. I too added one, and the motor was warm at best, and never too hot to touch. Connected to the battery, and then installed a Novak switch on the positive fan wire, the fan only run when i switched it on, and gave me full output from the higher battery voltage. (receiver voltage is lower than battery voltage) You also may want to pay attention the the input voltage of the fan. A 12v fan will have less RPM than a 5v fan. The fan i used came out of a Trinity battery equalizing tray, and was 5v. It fit perfectly in front of the motor area... as in the pictures Johnbull showed earlier.

- DaveW
Old 04-19-2004, 10:30 AM   #8422
Tech Adept

That's an interesting point. The black heat sink isn't a great design.
Fusedbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 10:49 AM   #8423
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Nrctc3 Send a message via Yahoo to Nrctc3

Speaking of heatsinks & fans... Check out this fan/heatsink that can go on any car. It's made by JCE-Racing

http://rcxotic.com/article217.html

Last edited by Nrctc3; 04-19-2004 at 10:58 AM.
Nrctc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 11:26 AM   #8424
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by johnbull
Hi friends. Greetings from Malta.

JAVA & DOTMAN.

The motor clamp is part of a Fastrax optional item. A proper heatsink comes with it too.

I haven't used the heatsink because I let the fan do the work of cooling the motor and don't want to retain the heat on the heatsink. The fan should blow through and over the motor, and by my understanding that should be enough.

Put it this way, we run 8 turn motors in our hot climate. This car is always the quickest mod touring car and we always end up with plenty of power in the cells, even after 5 minutes of racing.

ROVIC.

The reason for the different mounting of the rear camber link is simply to ease removal of the rear diff cover. With this system all you need remove is the 6 screws retaining the cover, and 1 shock screw to lift the case off and get at the diff.

There is a spacer under the ball joint which can be varied to alter the rear roll centre but at present it's position is similar to the top inner hole on the tower.

What I have done is played with spacing under the suspension mounts so that both front and rear lower arms run parallel to the chassis - no kick up or antisquat in other words. It seems to work very well that way.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
JohnBull - where did buy your motorclamp/heatsink?
DOTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 10:09 PM   #8425
Tech Fanatic

Default FAN

I saw that fan at snowbirds. The guy that made it let me try it on a motor. When it's running the fan will make a condensation on the motor can and it will actually draw heat out of the motor. Very good design but it weighed like a ton.
Racer Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 12:58 AM   #8426
Tech Master

Hi guys.Greetings from Malta.

DOTMAN.

The motorclamp is a Fastrax part. I bought it from CML in UK. CML only sell to shops.

TC3s are still winning everywhere. In England Olly Jefferies won the first round of the BTCC last weekend.

Here in Malta we cleaned up again in both Super Stock and Modified, with wins in all 3 mod finals for son Josh, and wins in all 3 super stock finals for Adrian, both running John Bull Racing prepared TC3s.

Both cars were ballistic.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 09:23 AM   #8427
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Congratulations on the great finishes. Yeah there are a lot of great cars on the market right now, but the TC3 is still right there with them.
DOTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 04:11 PM   #8428
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

i plan to race stock this season. outdoor track. i have a tc3 team. i dont intend to upgrade to graphite yet, do you guys have suggestions to what i should get?

Tires (Foam or rubber whichever is better)
servo (under $50)
misc tools, pit box stuff, things to bring to the races.

thanks
R3VoLuTiOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 05:04 PM   #8429
Tech Addict

im not quite sure all that is included in the team kit but, i would say foam tires, get threaded shocks (if they arent included), and what motor have you chosen to run?
runnin rc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 05:18 PM   #8430
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to True R/C Racing

1)threaded shocks
2) Cs-27's or cs-22//Sorex....?(rubber tires)
3) You can get a really fast futaba 9450 Servo for like 50$ used I got one its bullet proof
4)tools i would go to Craftman or w/e and buy a wheel nut driver
ummmmm thinking...
True R/C Racing is offline   Reply With Quote