R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-07-2004, 11:39 AM   #8266
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by RandyB
are the new input gear and diff gears a running change in the new kits and how can you tell if you are buying a new kit?
Most kits out there should be the newer version, the change occurred about 1 1/2 to 2 years ago, I believe. As for the changes in the gears, only the material changes, not the teeth or pitch. The only noicible changes were the newer kits have droop screws on all four a-arms and that the second bearing inside the diffs was switched to a thinner bushing. As for the quick glance, before the shrink wrap comes off: look for the droop screws and droop gauge, those were not featured on the first run of kits.
Java1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 11:54 AM   #8267
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

yeah I was curous about the material the gears were made of I know of the other running changes
thanks
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 11:57 AM   #8268
Tech Adept

Quote:
Did associated ever come out with a different input gear. like a white-ish colored one??
OK, took me a minute, but I now see what you are getting at. Yes, they did. The original gears were made with... well, I don't know really. When they made "improvements" to the kit awhile back, they chaged the material to.... well, again I don't know (I think it might be Kevlar, the bulletproof vest stuff), but the stuff IS a differend color, only difference in the gear.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:12 PM   #8269
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Quote:
yeah I was curous about the material the gears were made of I know of the other running changes
thanks
RandyB-I too wish I knew what that material is-but to be honest-it doesnt seem to make any noticeable difference. So much so that I have about 5 diffs built at any one time (IRS, stock ones) and some have Grey gears and some have the White gears. I put them in and take them out between white and grey crown gears. Makes no difference on track at all.

Ray
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 12:17 PM   #8270
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by rayhuang
RandyB-I too wish I knew what that material is-but to be honest-it doesnt seem to make any noticeable difference. So much so that I have about 5 diffs built at any one time (IRS, stock ones) and some have Grey gears and some have the White gears. I put them in and take them out between white and grey crown gears. Makes no difference on track at all.

Ray
Exaclty, you can even mix gears (the one on the diff being different that the one on the shaft) and not see a difference in performance! Can I get a "Hooya" for Team Associated!!!

(Yes, I get very excited after my fourth cup of coffee)

Last edited by Java1970; 04-07-2004 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:17 PM   #8271
Tech Master

I guess it looks trick though!
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 01:06 PM   #8272
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

I think they are a bit stronger...main improvement.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 03:43 PM   #8273
Tech Addict

is it very difficult to make the battery tray larger, so the batteries are closer to the cars centerline? Ive seen the website how-to's but they use drill presses and other such tools, and was wondering if anyone has done it here, and if they thought it was hard. (man that was a run-on sentence...lol)
runnin rc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 04:00 PM   #8274
Tech Master

I did mine by hand with a dremel tool, i didnt think it was too tricky at all, just take your time and mark out how much your cutting off first
berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 04:25 PM   #8275
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Bubblestc3 Send a message via Yahoo to Bubblestc3

Quote:
Originally posted by Java1970
... but the stuff IS a differend color, only difference in the gear.
I spoke with Torrance about the gears a while back. From my understanding the "white" gears are of a stronger material(pretty sure it was not kevlar though. Both the gray gears and the white gears do not really have a name, he said that they just have serial numbers.), not just different colors. This is because sometimes when running Modified and most of the time in the NTC3, there were some striping problems on the car. I guess just some reliability re-enforcements on the TC3
Bubblestc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 04:31 PM   #8276
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by runnin rc10
is it very difficult to make the battery tray larger, so the batteries are closer to the cars centerline? Ive seen the website how-to's but they use drill presses and other such tools, and was wondering if anyone has done it here, and if they thought it was hard. (man that was a run-on sentence...lol)
No, it is not very difficult at all. You just have to be patient and take your time. Exactly what berger said!

You might want to work with a big fan next to you, blowing the carbon fibers AWAY from you. That way, you will not be breathing in all the little carbon particals in the air
Old 04-07-2004, 04:35 PM   #8277
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to diskostew

Quote:
Originally posted by Bubblestc3
You might want to work with a big fan next to you, blowing the carbon fibers AWAY from you. That way, you will not be breathing in all the little carbon particals in the air
I thought little carbon particals were good for the lungs... Dang looks like you learn something every day
diskostew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 05:38 PM   #8278
Tech Fanatic

On my third or fourth chassis, it dawned on me that breathing in that stuff was not good. I was coughing that stuff out !!

I have heard that you could "wet sand" the chassis(although with a Dremel, which is electric might not be a good thing) to eliminate most of the fibers. George told me this right after preping my EVOIII chassis... DOHH!
Old 04-07-2004, 10:30 PM   #8279

Quote:
Originally posted by Bubblestc3
On my third or fourth chassis, it dawned on me that breathing in that stuff was not good. I was coughing that stuff out !!

I have heard that you could "wet sand" the chassis(although with a Dremel, which is electric might not be a good thing) to eliminate most of the fibers. George told me this right after preping my EVOIII chassis... DOHH!
The majority of AE's sponsored drivers have probably wet sanded. If you round the edges of the chassis with some medium grit sandpaper (I used 200 grit) and then use some very fine sandpaper to wet sand the edges and the bottom of the chassis, when the car rubs in the corners it doesn't loose as much speed. This happens a lot in mod on carpet, and those standard 90 degree edges dig in pretty well.

Here is a picture of the side of my chassis. Like I said, I used 200 grit to round off the edges, and 1000 grit for the wet sanding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chassis 003.jpg (161.1 KB, 139 views)
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 10:31 PM   #8280

Close up.

After wet sanding the chassis is incredibly smooth to the touch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chassis 004.jpg (194.9 KB, 135 views)
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote