R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-28-2004, 08:14 PM   #7711
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to mike_Webb

it does help.... but if you can drive a great line everytime like most of these guys can and drive clean you don't need a free spinning drivetrain.

If you hit the wall once or get hung up on a board then that pretty much negates your free spinning drivetrain for the most part.

Mine spins for 2 seconds... and I am missing one bearing in my rear carrier because in practice I hit a board and it destroyed the bearing. Mine usually spins for about 5-7 seconds. My Acer Bearings better get here before I leave for snowbirds!!!
mike_Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 08:25 PM   #7712
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to fatbear

I am sure some of you must have done this.
Go backwards of pole position in the A mains of your country's national championship in modified because you have put your endbell of your motor on backwards.
Everyone must have done that.
JConcepts www.jconcepts.net
Ace Hobby Distributors www.acehobbyaustralia.com
fatbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 08:25 PM   #7713
Tech Master

that is another thing if i drop 110 dollars on bearings my will spin longer but i just can't see the advantage of doing so. also i run alot on asphalt that isn't always the cleanest surface.
davepull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 08:27 PM   #7714
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

davepull,

I'm not using ceramic bearings...TC3 kit bearings sprayed out and relubed...and Warpspeed Diff cases.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 08:29 PM   #7715
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to mike_Webb

Quote:
Originally posted by davepull
that is another thing if i drop 110 dollars on bearings my will spin longer but i just can't see the advantage of doing so. also i run alot on asphalt that isn't always the cleanest surface.
I got the $29 ones .

I hit boards sometimes ..I would hate to break a $15 Bearing. This weekend I just touched the boards and it made the bearing shatter. It was either on its way out or I hit it jsut right. Glad it happened now and net next week.
mike_Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 08:31 PM   #7716
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Yeah, ceramic bearings are really only good for the people who hit NOTHING. They are pretty fragile.

You can get your drivetrain to spin quite a long time with good diff cases and light lubed kit bearings (or any kind of steel bearing).
USVTA Member #211

Old 01-28-2004, 08:38 PM   #7717
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Brian,

What are the Warpspeed diff cases?
ralph m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 08:41 PM   #7718
Tech Elite

Ralph,

They are TC3 diff cases, blueprinted with a milling machine, so that the cases do not pinch the bearings. These cases also have helicoils in all the screw holes, so you never have to worry about stripping out your diff case holes.

If you would like to order some contact Victor at warpspeedracing@aol.com

And go to www.warpspeed-racing.com to view his products. You can also check out the thread in this forum titled "Warpspeed Demon and Demon 2" to see pictures, ask questions and get info about the cars.

Hope this helps.
USVTA Member #211

Old 01-28-2004, 08:42 PM   #7719
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to David Galdo Send a message via AIM to David Galdo Send a message via MSN to David Galdo Send a message via Yahoo to David Galdo

Gotta have the WS cases, they're redone to free-up the bearings. No need to spend time blueprinting your own cases.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:12 PM   #7720
Tech Master

ouch those cases are 35 bucks
davepull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 09:33 PM   #7721
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to rinkrat99
Default Outdrive Cups (Long)

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has had bad experiences with the Right front outdrive hub being shattered. I have broken three in three weeks and really can't figure where the Forces are coming from. The CVD's are the stock composite.

Could this be from the diff being too tight and an impact to the wheel area? Too much torque being transferred from the diff to the wheels that may be stopped?

What is everyone running if not the plastic outdrives?

Thanks
rinkrat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 10:15 PM   #7722

Do you mean you shattered the outdrive? I broke several of the plastic outdrives when I first got the car, and it's because they just aren't that durable. You have several options - one is to go to the Associated steel outdrives, which is the cheaper solution but they are pretty heavy and don't use the "stealth" style diff rings (D-shaped), they use an O-shaped ring. Another option, and this is what I use, is to go with the IRS Lite-Drives, which are aluminum outdrives that use the D-shaped rings. The problem with the IRS outdrives is you should really buy the IRS "Big Dawg" bones to go with them, because the IRS bones have pin cushions that will stop damage to the outdrives. There's $30 a pair for the outdrives and another $30 a pair for the bones, so it's a $120 upgrade for the whole car. I think Hardcore also makes some aluminum outdrives but they use the O-shaped ring.

It really depends on how much you want to spend. You could just keep replacing the plastic outdrives, they are the lightest ones you can get, but I also had trouble melting diffs with them when running mod.

Josh
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 11:36 PM   #7723
Tech Master

Does anyone have any sugestions on what to run for front to rear weight percentages with the TC3? I have it set right at 50 percent right now should I be heavier one way or the other and how much? Im running stock rubber with take off 27's. On a medium bite semi technical track. Road Rage.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:39 AM   #7724
Tech Master

Hi friends. Greetings from Malta.

I did a bit of a cleaning job on my Yoke SD a couple of days ago. I removed all bearings, washed them in thinners till the original grease came out, then just rinsed in WD40. I also ran the diffs dry.

The performance difference was phenomenal. With metal shielded bearings you don't need to remove the shields because they do not cause drag.

Back to the performance, I ran the same 10 x 1 motor, now with some 5 or 6 runs on the comm and brushes. It was not just miles faster in a straight line, but it ran for almost 7 minutes on the same gearing with which I could just get 5 and a half minutes previously.

I will be attacking my son's TC3 next. It's already the fastest car in the class - 16 wind from 18 starts this season. I can't wait to see the improvement.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 04:46 AM   #7725
Tech Regular

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to use either brake cleaner or clutch cleaner to wash out the bearings??

Thanks for your help

Crashmaster
Crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote