R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-26-2004, 04:32 AM   #7636
Tech Elite

Johnbull:

Good results, well done!!

Regarding the Corally Pro Series. I have an 8 double and I was finding it drawing so much current that it was causing the receiver/steering servo to glitch - so much so that there was no control. Going back to a Reedy 11 double solved the problem.

I'm interested because it I was also using the GT7 at the time.

Have you ever had this problem? If so, what did you do about it?
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 05:51 AM   #7637
Tech Adept

Trackdesigner....

Where are you running rubber on carpet? What track are you talking about?
Bodido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 05:58 AM   #7638
Tech Master

Horatio. Greetings from Malta.

Yes indeed I had just that problem last week, but it was nothing to do with the motor.

In an attempt to leave a larger area before the fan clear of wires etc so that the fan can blow more cool and clean air to the motor, I repositioned the electrics on Thursday.

I put the GT7 upright, where the receiver is in the picture. This brought the speedo wires, particularly the + (red) too close to the aerial, and caused bad glitching. Luckily I took the car down to the track and ran it that way on Friday and found out then.

Back at the shop I simply relocated the electrics as in the picture and all the glitching disappeared. I tested the car at the track again on Saturday afternoon, and Josh ran it successfully on Sunday.

We experienced a glitching problem at one of the championship rounds last year too. This was eventually traced to a broken capacitor. We put a fresh motor in for the next race and it was fine.

The motors we used yesterday were 8 x 1 Gold in the first 2 finals which were dry, and 9 x 1 Gold in the wet third final.

Hope this helps. Lastly, do you run schottky diodes. I have one on the motors and the big external one supplied by Novak with the GT7s.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 06:06 AM   #7639
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Angle for F- 3+2

I usually just try and get it as close to flat as possible.. Either by having the 3+2 Block milled some or by using washers to bring the f Block up some.. I have been playing with the pro-Squat - Anti-Squat but i am not sure what they are actually doing at this time.. Need to test somemore to figure that out...

Mike Blackstock
Mike Blackstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 07:08 AM   #7640
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to mike_Webb

Johnbull-

What is holding the motor in your car? Who makes that?
mike_Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 08:09 AM   #7641
Tech Initiate

Blackstock,

Get out there and test boy.... LOL Inquiring minds would like to know!!

Just kidding.. Great year so far for you..

Good luck at Snowbirds.. I am staying home this year..

Mike Principato:
AE-Off-Road Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 08:14 AM   #7642
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

MikeB: Thanks! I noticed that my R 2+2 blocks sit flush with the bumper/chassis when mounted, but the R 3+2 blocks, ALL OF THEM that i have, DO NOT (almost 1 mm)... the bumper wiggles up and down when mounted. This is curious, because the squat is supposed to be the same from one block to the next, only a change in toe. Even the R 3+0 block sits flush when mounted with the bumper like the R 2+2 mount, but has the squat change in the pin holes, not where the screws go into the mount. I guess it was just a defective mold from AE? I trimmed all of my R 3+2 blocks down so they were all the same yesterday, just in case i have to swap one out with little time for the repair. I cant believe i was just swappin parts last year and come to find out NOW that i was running something totally different then i thought i was, its a pain for troubleshooting a setup! I also noticed with a little more measurement of the car, all of my F-0 blocks with an F block up front gives me a tad bit of toe out at the pin, the pins are further apart in the front than the back of the front mounts. I remedied this with my countersink bit and a little gentle "convincing" of the parts. I guess the screw holes in the chassis were further apart or together on either end of the front mounts from the factory. Now, once i hit the boards at mach2, all of this prep will be useless. "BROOM AND DUSTPAN TO TURN 4... BROOM AND DUSTPAN TO TURN 4!!"

- Dave
Old 01-26-2004, 09:26 AM   #7643
Tech Regular

Default Shimming

Hi guys, my first ever post !! So far I'm on page 130 of the thread so still got more to read!!

I was wondering if you could help me with the shimming of my transmission. I have read that you don't run with the outdrive shim, but I am running with the metal diffs, so I wasn't too sure if the same applied to the metal as the plastic diffs. Also could you reccomend the number of shims on the front and rear input shafts, as again I'm not to sure if this will differ.

Cheers

Crashmaster
P.S. Great thread so far
Crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 12:01 PM   #7644
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

When using the Associated lightweight plastic diff halves what size are those diff bearings? Don't want to use those bronze bushings. The bearings from my steel diffs are too thick to work.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around). Too many titles to list
Shout out to: Sticky Kicks, CR Graphics and Race Ready Products
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 12:09 PM   #7645
Tech Adept

Why bearings? There are no real benefit to bearings. The bearings would only spin (and only slightly) when there is diff action. I highly doubt you'd be able to feel the difference with your hands, much less while driving.
Bodido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 12:12 PM   #7646
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Bearings are just a tad smoother and do last alot longer over time vs. a bushing.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around). Too many titles to list
Shout out to: Sticky Kicks, CR Graphics and Race Ready Products
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 12:16 PM   #7647
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by johnbull
Horatio. Greetings from Malta.

Yes indeed I had just that problem last week, but it was nothing to do with the motor.

In an attempt to leave a larger area before the fan clear of wires etc so that the fan can blow more cool and clean air to the motor, I repositioned the electrics on Thursday.

I put the GT7 upright, where the receiver is in the picture. This brought the speedo wires, particularly the + (red) too close to the aerial, and caused bad glitching. Luckily I took the car down to the track and ran it that way on Friday and found out then.

Back at the shop I simply relocated the electrics as in the picture and all the glitching disappeared. I tested the car at the track again on Saturday afternoon, and Josh ran it successfully on Sunday.

We experienced a glitching problem at one of the championship rounds last year too. This was eventually traced to a broken capacitor. We put a fresh motor in for the next race and it was fine.

The motors we used yesterday were 8 x 1 Gold in the first 2 finals which were dry, and 9 x 1 Gold in the wet third final.

Hope this helps. Lastly, do you run schottky diodes. I have one on the motors and the big external one supplied by Novak with the GT7s.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Cheers Johnbull.

I run the GT7 in my SD upright at the moment. The glitching actually occured in a Losi XXX with the Corally 8 double Pro Series motor. The servo was a Hitec digital 5945 servo. I was using just 1 Schottky diode on the motor plus the pre fitted capacitor that came with the GT7. It glitched pretty bad, especially under hard acceleration. Thinking about it, when I put the Reedy Fury 11 double in the Losi, that motor had a Schottky diode of it's own and there was no glitching whatsoever.

So perhaps the diode on the Corally motor is to blame?

Oh, BTW - 9 single in the wet You guys are nuts!!! I have a job running my TCs with mods in the dry - let alone the wet.
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 12:18 PM   #7648
Tech Rookie

Send a message via ICQ to AJ Racing Send a message via MSN to AJ Racing Send a message via Yahoo to AJ Racing
Wink hi to every one

hi every one i am jean from malta i just wanted to introduce my self to the forum i race Rc i have a TC3 Ft

regards
AJ Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 12:35 PM   #7649
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Does anybody know the part number for the 2+2 rear blocks?
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 12:39 PM   #7650
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by trackdesigner71
Does anybody know the part number for the 2+2 rear blocks?
Its either 3863 or 3864 i thing its in the 3864 tree the optional set.