R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-08-2003, 05:16 PM   #7141
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Bubblestc3 Send a message via Yahoo to Bubblestc3

Quote:
Originally posted by Horatio
As I understand it the Yokomo part for the TC3 uses alloy ends joined to a carbon shaft.

I thought the racer spec TC3's still are being produced with carbon propshafts?

In which case the Carbon Shafts must still be 'around'. Or am I wrong on this?
Accually, the "older" RTR's had the Carbon shaft, and the "older" diff cases(they have the same dimentions, but the new cases have two more holes for the Nitro shocktower, and the bumper brace). Now the RTR's come with the blue aluminium shaft, and the "Nitro" diff cases.

Personally, I like to run the Carbon shaft's over the aluminium shaft. It must be mental because the alum. shaft has a much smaller diameter than the carbon shaft, moving the rotating mass more centered. Although the alum. weighs 3gm more than the carbon shaft, the only real advantage is when one were to run mod, and the twisting of the carbon will reduce it's life span. With the discontinueing of the carbon shaft, and less and less hobby shops carrying them, I started to run the alum. again and save the carbon ones.

When the track is tight and twisty, I would like to run an alum. driveshaft because you are constantly hard onto the throttle and the shaft would have more stress on it to make the car move. Then for wide open tracks, I would like to run a carbon shaft because you slow down less, and usually keep the motor spinning at all times and will have less stress on the drivetrain.
Bubblestc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 05:28 PM   #7142
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

hmm, interesting thought.
I suppose I have to keep my carbon shaft for big wide track and cos most of all AE dun make them anymore.
thanks for the different insight.
GTO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 06:08 PM   #7143
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Johnnytc3

very true bubbles, but too bad most ppl cant tell any difference in performance, including myself
Johnnytc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 08:14 PM   #7144
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to rinkrat99
Default Ride Height and Droop

Hi all,

I am setting up the TC3 Racer kit for rug racing this week but I am having major difficulties getting the ride height set properly.

If I fully remove all the preload spacer, the chassis will almost touch the ground. I figure thats normal. If I go with the kit spacers 1/8" front and 3/16" rear, the ride height is well above 7 mm.

The problem I think is that when there are no spacers, the spring does not contact the spring cup which is at the upper most position touching the shock body.

If I use spacers which do not allow full contact with the spring collar and spring cup in order to get the 5mm ride height, then the suspension arm does not rebound down because of the lack of spring force.

Does this make sense? how can I fix this?

Thanks
rinkrat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 09:24 PM   #7145
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: shaft

Quote:
Originally posted by tc3rookie
since AE stopped making the carbon shaft, what other carbon/lightweight alternatives are there? i already know Yokomo makes one. who else?
I have a few carbon shafts in my spare parts collection (not that I ever broke one).
Old 12-09-2003, 06:24 AM   #7146
Tech Elite

Default Re: Ride Height and Droop

Quote:
Originally posted by rinkrat99
Hi all,

I am setting up the TC3 Racer kit for rug racing this week but I am having major difficulties getting the ride height set properly.

If I fully remove all the preload spacer, the chassis will almost touch the ground. I figure thats normal. If I go with the kit spacers 1/8" front and 3/16" rear, the ride height is well above 7 mm.

The problem I think is that when there are no spacers, the spring does not contact the spring cup which is at the upper most position touching the shock body.

If I use spacers which do not allow full contact with the spring collar and spring cup in order to get the 5mm ride height, then the suspension arm does not rebound down because of the lack of spring force.

Does this make sense? how can I fix this?

Thanks
I think I know what you mean. Set the ride height with your car equipped as if you were about to race ie with your race pack in position, motor, pinion etc etc. Push the car down onto a level surface and allow it to rebound and level itself. Now it is ready for ride height measurements. You should check both the front and the rear ride height. Under most circumstances, you will want this to be the same. I recommend 5mm front and back.

Set as per the manual, the car should have 6mm ride height. If not, adjust the length of the shocks accordingly. You may also find that the kit springs maybe a little short. If so, just stretch them a little to take up the slack. Ensure the rear springs are the same length before fitting them to the shocks. Check the same for the front.

Don't be afraid to use whatever pre-load spacers you need to get the car's ride height the way you need it. The kit standard setting shouldn't be far off though - if it is, check to ensure everything is the way it should be.

Remember - the droop should be adjusted by using the droop screws. DONT use them to set the ride height!! (I've seen people do this!! )

I hope this helps.
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 07:54 AM   #7147
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

rinkrat99.

you may have to shave some of the black spacers to find an ideal ride height...like Horatio said about 5 all around on the rug.

or best bet is to get a set of threaded shocks

i have a spare set i may sell.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:17 AM   #7148
Tech Elite

rinkrat99:

got your email. Back at ya'.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:22 AM   #7149
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

As nexus said, threaded shock bodies are the way to go - no more spacers Plus you get the correct ride. And they look cool.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:34 AM   #7150
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to rinkrat99

Hi all

Thanks for the info. Unfortunatly I am at work so I can't set the car right now but I can tonight.

Horatio - I just sent you an email from the work address
rinkrat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 08:36 AM   #7151
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Hey Nex, if your gonna sell those threaded shocks let me know! (BTW, did you sendthose brushes and springs you said you would?)
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 08:40 AM   #7152
Tech Champion

Quote:
Hey Nex, if your gonna sell those threaded shocks let me know! (BTW, did you sendthose brushes and springs you said you would?)
trackd.....sent you a PM about parts.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:30 AM   #7153
Tech Elite

Exclamation Carpet Set-ups

Quote:
Originally posted by rinkrat99
Hi all

Thanks for the info. Unfortunatly I am at work so I can't set the car right now but I can tonight.

Horatio - I just sent you an email from the work address
Just so you can compare, I've sent you my carpet set-up by email. This is what I arrived at after 2 seasons and it suited my style of driving. The TC3 is great on carpet - prepare to kick the competition's butt!!
Old 12-09-2003, 09:41 AM   #7154
Tech Adept

Default threaded shock bodies

when u get the threaded shock bodies they come as just the body and collar. would using the stock caps, shafts, pistons etc, be detrimental to preformance, or would alluminum caps and coated shafts make much of a difference?
tc3rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:47 AM   #7155
Tech Champion

tc3rookie.

unless your running at the highest pro level IMO you won't notice a difference with the coated shafts. as far as the caps...run the black plastic one's...even the sponsored racers are using them.

i'm about to post my shocks and some other tc3 parts in the forsale section if you are interested.

on carpet i've mostly run the barry baker trackside set-up and it's worked great. the only changes i've made to that set-up was to stiffen the suspension based on traction available.