Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree65Likes

TC3 Forum

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 08:30 PM
Tech Initiate

sorry i am sure this has been asked, but the search feature isnt helping and i dont want to read through 235 pages for an ansswer. I wanted to get everyones feel on the rally kit for the car. i have a tc3 just sitting and thought i would make it a rally but change a few things to allow more travel and such...any thoughts? thanks
Old 11-30-2003, 09:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by GTO2
nexus:
I don't have a digi cam currently.
That was an assumption I made, the LF & RF arm is symetrical left to right but the C hubs aren't. Thats why I think they are different L to R wheelbase.
I will have a closer look and probably measure up axle to axle later when I go back frm work.
It could well be different stopping position for the steering arm but same symetrical LF & LR axles...thanks for pointing that out.
Ok ya made me go take a good look at what ya are talking about . At first looking at the car from above it does look like the hubs are offset I never looked at it close before. What is giving it that illusion is the asymetrical steering block stops that are built into the hubs. This is what alot of people complain about. The steering has more throw to the right than it does to the left and they dont understand why. but they are centered if you look at the pic you can see that the piviot points are centered just look at the casting line. I dont know if you can see it in the pic. The reason for the difference in the stops is because of torque steer. Because of the drivetrain rotation the car naturally drifts to the left under power. During most cornering this isnt a factor because the steering is seldom turned to lock when your on a track. Where it is affected is when the car is turned in a complete circle with the steering locked it will turn an equal radius, otherwise it would turn a much tighter turn to the left than to the right. so the offset fixes this. OK now lets argue this one again.
Attached Thumbnails TC3 Forum-front-c-hub-3.jpg  
Old 11-30-2003, 10:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

well if it's not too much trouble ,
the simpler way to solve this dang C-hub business is to go and buy another pair.forget the fact that the should've been R/L unbiased.
Old 12-01-2003, 07:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by lee82gx
.forget the fact that the should've been R/L unbiased.
??? I dun quite understand what you're trying to say.

Originally posted by lee82gx
well if it's not too much trouble ,
the simpler way to solve this dang C-hub business is to go and buy another pair
On my earlier post, I've mention that I did purchase the parts to confirm. They don't fix the problem, they are the same as what I have on my TC3 now.
Old 12-01-2003, 07:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by SpeediePHATT
..... The reason for the difference in the stops is because of torque steer. Because of the drivetrain rotation the car naturally drifts to the left under power. During most cornering this isnt a factor because the steering is seldom turned to lock when your on a track. Where it is affected is when the car is turned in a complete circle with the steering locked it will turn an equal radius, otherwise it would turn a much tighter turn to the left than to the right. so the offset fixes this. OK now lets argue this one again.
left circling not equal to right...agreed, when full steering throw applied.
Torque steer? Isn't this magnitude a variable one (equal to motor rpm and amount of steering)? how does a fix (constant) limiter or stopper or maximum 'lesser' steering throw fix this?
I know that yeah it is a working design for years...pardon me, I just curious to find why...if it's not too much.
Old 12-01-2003, 07:58 AM
Tech Elite

yeah u're right the assymetrical steering is not a good solution for torque steer.besides,torque steer is more dangerous straight than turning.
what i meant was to get another pair of c-hubs and get one from the new pair and use it with one frm the old pair to get the same angles left and right.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:04 AM
Tech Elite

yo lee...
the new ones I bought (Team parts) is identical, as in exactly the same.....not symetrical, as in mirror image as it 'what I think would normally' be.
To make it easier to understand, the new part I bought was like a pair of shoes, both are lefties....or righties...not left and right...you know.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

yes i understand...now what i'm saying is to go out and buy anpther pair of 'righties'.then u get 2 working pairs anyway right?
We'd find it difficult to believe u get another 2 mirror images ....then u can email Associated and shaft them...hehe
this is the problem of not getting the whole part tree...
Old 12-01-2003, 08:30 AM
Tech Master

The deal is that there is no right and or left. They are both the same. The diference comes in when the hub is flipped around to the other side the opposite edge is used for the steering block stop. The problem is that there is no problem. Trust associated knows what they are doing and go drive the thing. So you can have some fun.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:36 AM
P2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally posted by =MisFitz= NuKe
I will be ordering some things from them tomorrow, clamping hexes is one of those things, I will tell you guys the availability tomorrow
Did you get an extra TC3 for me
Old 12-01-2003, 08:47 AM
Tech Elite

yah man. I know that AE got it figured out. I'm having fun with it, just my curiousity...

lee: there are no 'lefties' and 'righties'. They only available in 'lefties' ...
Anyway all this analogy I put up for you to understand it easier, but I guess not.

Let's end it here. If I still can't get over it, I'll ask AE directly. K guys...carry on.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by SpeediePHATT
The deal is that there is no right and or left. They are both the same. The diference comes in when the hub is flipped around to the other side the opposite edge is used for the steering block stop. The problem is that there is no problem. Trust associated knows what they are doing and go drive the thing. So you can have some fun.
What about the caster? I thought the angle of the holes drilled through the carriers is what gives us caster. If this is the case you would have left and right handed carriers. If for example AE accidently put in a pair of rights, the left side of the car WOULD have a carrier that leant forwards (and gave us less lock!). This is a quite separate issue to the less lock to the left business which gets us all going ;o)

BTW, nice website - I like your work and respect what you say. Your explanation as to the theory behind why the TC3 needs less steering to the left is better than the one cliff let gave on the AE site You didn't mention static or dynamic steering once

Old 12-01-2003, 12:10 PM
Tech Adept

Default body posts

i had a minor problem with the rear bodyposts. i don't know if i got hit or something but the posts came off the shock tower during my heat. the body dragged all race and i put some bigger screws in to hold it the rest of the race day but i was wondering if anybody else has have had any problems with this and if there are any fixes for it. i have the posts mounted on the rear of the tower. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanx.
Old 12-01-2003, 12:45 PM
Tech Master

Ya know something terrible it never even crossed my mind about the 2 and 4 degree carriers being switched around or mixed up. And thats not even the stupid part. The picture I took was of a 2 degree carrier and it still didnt cross my mind. If ya look close at one the holes are still drilled straight but the bottom where the pin is mounted is crooked to give the caster. Maybe I need to start getting more than a few hours of sleep a night.

As for the body post problem I stripped a couple of posts out and fixed them with some super glue. and before i assembled it i ran a tap into it and they are holding fine.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default tc3 smooth spinning

heyh u guys i just bought a tc3!! but when i spin the wheels with my motor out it makes a noise like the bearings need to be cleaned?? o yah and how can i make my wheels keep spinning for longer than at least 5 secs??ok cya thx any responnds would be helffull

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.