R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-10-2003, 10:05 PM   #6811
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Bubblestc3 Send a message via Yahoo to Bubblestc3

Mike, if I am not mistaken, that is the part number for the Yokomo optional shaft for the SD, not the TC3.

I am still looking for a part number for the shaft which I am talking about...
Bubblestc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 02:05 PM   #6812
Tech Regular

tnstantheman: i can't beleive you pulled your car out of storage & TQ'ed stock.... i shoulda stayed in stock... i been wrenchin' on my car for three weeks only to find myself on the pole in the C main in 19turn. at least my overall time in the main was like 7th fastest for all of 19t (26 drivers) it was still the Cmain though.

steve: i don't think gearing smoked that motor, i've geared monsters higher than most with no trouble. it has shorted out in the winding & i don't think the gearing you were running would creat that much heat. once i did overheat a stocker bad by running it while the swaybay adjusters were rubbing a bone. the batts dumped in 4 minutes, motor was way hot, at the pittable i saw the mark on the bone & realized what happened. this could happen with a bumber stuck on a tire or anything, a wire binding the driveshaft, whatever.
hyperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 02:28 PM   #6813
Tech Fanatic

The part number you guys are looking for is SP-3924?
James Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 04:23 PM   #6814
Tech Fanatic

Hey James, I think that is it...
It is for the TC3, right?
Old 11-12-2003, 04:34 PM   #6815
Tech Fanatic

Yes, this is the Yokomo one for the tc3. Not sure how it will hold up, the SD ones twist with stock motors.
Old 11-12-2003, 05:13 PM   #6816
Tech Fanatic

I have seen some drivers with that shaft, running mod, and stock, and there were no problems what so ever...
Old 11-12-2003, 05:22 PM   #6817
Tech Fanatic

Everyone in NorCal has twisted them in stock, 19t, and mod. They don't last too long at all.
Old 11-12-2003, 06:03 PM   #6818
Tech Fanatic

Twisting them?
As in, there is soo much heat that the carbon part of the shaft becomes flimsy and then it twists?
Or, just raw power?

Because I know that Glen has been racing with one for a while now, with no problems.
Old 11-12-2003, 06:10 PM   #6819
Tech Fanatic

yes twisting the carbon part. There have been a few of the sd ones that have broken. we have all switched to metal ones made by tobee or similar types. the carbon ones aren't cheap either.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:21 PM   #6820
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to =MisFitz= NuKe Send a message via Yahoo to =MisFitz= NuKe

aluminum baby, its all about the aluminum...
=MisFitz= NuKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 05:58 AM   #6821
Tech Rookie

Default Question to TC3 drivers

Hi guys, I have this problem with me, I checked that my front chamber, front toe in and out, my servo and my radio are all set to be the same, but my steering rack is not equally spaced between left and right.

Isnt the porportion of the steering rack supposed to be same if u have everything set evenly?

Thanks guys
TAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 06:28 AM   #6822
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Intermision Send a message via Yahoo to Intermision

No it is not, the tc3 does not have equal static stearing but it is equal in actual stearing due to the torque stear of the shaft... suposidly.
Intermision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 07:44 AM   #6823
Tech Elite

Alledgedly!

Without going back over the TC3 unequal steering nonsense, you can set up the TC3 steering to be central if you wish to have equal static steering. If you race on tight technical tracks, you will soon see that the unequal steering is actually not compensated by the torque from the shaft /motor configuration as the theory suggests - trust me on this! It just means that you will have less steering to the left

Save all the theoretical bunk for people in rain coats - talk to the hand (middle finger extended ) cos the face aint listening!

Set your rack in the middle. Adjust your track rods so that your wheels are straight, with maybe a little toe out/in according to preference. Set your servo horn's link so that you are able to attain full lock both sides without the link catching anything.

You will then quickly notice that full left lock is restricted by the hub carrier - it has a raised edge (more raised than on the opposite edge) that prevents the left steering arm from moving as far as the right steering arm. File as required to obtain the lock you need.

The 'pro's' argument is that you will never need full lock if the car is set up correctly anyway and that they turn the steering down on their radios to about 70 percent. I'm obviously nowhere near as good as them, otherwise I'd be able to copy their exact setup and still win nationals ;o) Well whilst there is some credance to their point, there are certain tracks or instances where you do need decent lock and the TC3 simply doesn't have it as standard. Other cars with a shaft have FAR MORE LOCK and the steering is equal - go figure.

I might be totally different, but I like to have MORE lock than I need, but use less than full stick deflection while I race. Occassionally however, I need to go off the racing line (to take avoiding action, for instance) and when I do, the extra lock is helpful especially on my local track which is very tight, narrow and technical - think Scalextric and you'll know what I mean.

I hope this helps make up your own mind.
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 08:11 AM   #6824
Tech Fanatic

The method I used for setting equal throw in my tc3 was the following:

-first center the servo with your radio so that, when fully connected, the servo link (tie rod) is perpendicular to the servo adapter.
-then I changed the length of the tie rod to center the rack proportional to the chassis.
-then I adjusted the two steering links to equal lengths, and changed my toe settings from there.

I liked the changes that it made to the car. While driving, I am able to adjust myself to the equal steering characteristics. The changes were especially noticeable off power when entering the turn, where the steering felt more balanced in both directions.

I do not have my radio set to give the steering full lock, especially since I now use the losi steering blocks. With the stock steering blocks, I had about 70% throw, and with the losi's I now have about 60%, which is still kind of a lot. Through many turns on the track, I do not even use that full throw anyway.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:17 AM   #6825
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i don't use lock to lock..only close to it so that both sides are equal.
i run a ver tight track as well,and i don't feel the need for anymore steering.
this is the simplest way about this issue..we can all bitch about the design flaw..but at the end it's up to us drivers to choose how/what we want to do about it.
U can also file it down as Horatio suggested, but there's 2 ways about it.
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote