R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-04-2003, 05:21 AM   #6721
Tech Initiate

Default Duratraxx Bearing Set for TC3

Vere513,

I bought the Duratraxx set of bearing for my TC3 and found them to be of low quality. I used them up without any problems.

Them I ordered just wheel bearings from Teambluestar.com. They were of much higher quality. I don't break any other bearings other than wheel bearings.
Brant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 07:59 AM   #6722
Tech Apprentice

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default Die cast aluminum diff cases

Anyone running the NTC3 metal diff cases by RDLogics?
http://www.rdlogics.com/store/c_25.htm

If so any comments on better/worst/nochange??

Scott
Shayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 09:36 AM   #6723
Tech Adept

Default dremel

i dremelled out a little bit of the brace, just the one bar thing that goes longways along the leingth of the chassis on the battery side of the X shaped crosspieces (i thing you know what i'm talking abt.) , and extended the chassis slots and can get abt. 2-3 mm of space difference. i might cut to the half way point, but it micht weaken the chassis too much... btw i'll check out the thread Brandon told me abt.
tc3rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 09:40 AM   #6724
Tech Adept

Default xtreme chassis

i looked at the chassis, and its really trick! i'd go but it, but its hella expensive , way out of my budget ... maybe christmas ...
Old 11-04-2003, 12:21 PM   #6725
Tech Adept

Default driveshaft

does the alluminum center driveshaft have any advantage over the stock woven-looking graphite one? it's thinner but weighs more and may be truer, but i'm not sure.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:24 PM   #6726
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: driveshaft

Quote:
Originally posted by tc3rookie
does the alluminum center driveshaft have any advantage over the stock woven-looking graphite one? it's thinner but weighs more and may be truer, but i'm not sure.
I like the old woven one. It runs truer than the alloy one and clearly weighs less. I have seen a few bent alloy ones but no tweeked woven ones. I have, however, seen a couple of woven shafts broken, but only because a battery wire rubbed against it while running, wearing it to the point of breaking.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:28 PM   #6727
Tech Adept

Default shaft

i already bent one shaft when i got out of gontrol and broadsided a curb pretty hard, and there's less rotating mass in the woven one right?
Old 11-04-2003, 04:35 PM   #6728
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: shaft

Quote:
i already bent one shaft when i got out of gontrol and broadsided a curb pretty hard, and there's less rotating mass in the woven one right?
Definitely less rotating mass. A lot of people like to talk about how free their drivetrains are, but a lot has to do with how heavy it is. Given two equally free drivetrains, the drivetrain with steel diffs, steel cvds, an aluminum shaft, aluminum drive cups, and rubber tires will spin much longer than a drivetrain with composite diffs, plastic/aluminum cvds, a woven shaft, stock drive cups, and foam tires.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:43 PM   #6729
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Bubblestc3 Send a message via Yahoo to Bubblestc3

xxxtracer, I am one of the few that has the NTC3 steering on my car right now, although Fred has it on his stock car, and Mike has it on his 19t car, and Chris has it on his TC3, but I do not race with it at SoCal. If you see me at SoCal, you can always ask me there for any further information.
Bubblestc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 04:48 PM   #6730
Tech Adept

Default shaft

i think i'll put the woven one in again. btw, what is it made of exactly? i always get confused between carbon fiber and (woven) graphite. could someone help clear this up?
Old 11-04-2003, 05:00 PM   #6731
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: driveshaft

Quote:
I have found that I like the woven carbon shaft much more than the new aluminium shaft. The carbon shaft spools up quicker, and weighs 3grams less than the aluminium shaft. Because of the tendency of aluminium to bend, I find more bent shafts because of shiping. How the packages are handled, and how they are stored creates pressure on the shaft(after bending one in a HARD crash, I was mad and bent the aluminium shaft into a hairpin. They are EASY to bend) causing the shaft to become bent, and have a wobble. Although this is not much of a problem in stock, mod causes the wobble to be felt, and seen, when the car goes down a straightaway. I have been using the carbon shaft for a couple of months now(stoped because the new aluminium shaft came out, and thought it was better), and have only snaped three(where the bones are epoxyed into the shaft just snaps when you hit something).

There is a negative to running the carbon shaft, they can snap, along with the fact that Associated stoped making the carbon shaft , and the shafts were about $12. Compared to $8 for the aluminium shaft.

Yokomo has a new shaft for the SD, and they make them now for the TC3. The bones are aluminium, and the accual shaft is carbon(best of both worlds!)
Old 11-04-2003, 05:04 PM   #6732
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: shaft

Quote:
i think i'll put the woven one in again. btw, what is it made of exactly? i always get confused between carbon fiber and (woven) graphite. could someone help clear this up?
Carbon fiber, and Woven Graphite are the same thing. Carbon fiber is when you take Graphite, and weave(sp?) it. Graphite is although different

(I could be wrong about this, but that was how someone explained it to me...)
Old 11-04-2003, 05:08 PM   #6733
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: dremel

Quote:
i dremelled out a little bit of the brace, just the one bar thing that goes longways along the leingth of the chassis on the battery side of the X shaped crosspieces (i thing you know what i'm talking abt.) , and extended the chassis slots and can get abt. 2-3 mm of space difference. i might cut to the half way point, but it micht weaken the chassis too much... btw i'll check out the thread Brandon told me abt.
It should not be a problem going half way on the "X" 's, and it should not effect the chassis flex. That is how each person that I race with has gone, half way on the "X" 's, including me.
Old 11-04-2003, 05:13 PM   #6734
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Die cast aluminum diff cases

Quote:
Originally posted by Shayd
Anyone running the NTC3 metal diff cases by RDLogics?
http://www.rdlogics.com/store/c_25.htm

If so any comments on better/worst/nochange??

Scott
Hey Scott!

I saw one person running these diff cases at the HITEC race, although did not see much advantage in running these. At first I accually thought that the guy running the car, painted them that color, I hade no idea that it was metal...
Old 11-04-2003, 05:30 PM   #6735
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Melton

tc3rookie- The web site has the retail price so that hobby shops aren't undercut. It can be purchased for around $180. I understand for some it's a lump sum and maybe a tough upgrade, but the chassis is very true and tweaks effortlessly.