R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-15-2003, 02:30 PM   #6151
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by speedxl
hyperformance you need to keep those 19t motores usually in the 7.5 to 8.0
final drive range get a gear chart for you re car with the final drive worked out.
and factor in the tire size. it would help if you would state what kinda car it is.
I thought the same exact thing as you just stated but this weekends practice session proved me wrong. Purchased a non-dynoed C2 to play around with and expected to gear it right around 8.0. Went with the gearing I use for my Mosnter stock of 7.5 to see how it handled the load and realized after a few laps the motor was peaking way too quickly and swapped to a 6.8 fd. This the C2 absolutely loved and pulled hard out of the corners and had a good pull down the main straight, I still felt the motor had plenty to offer a few more teeth but alas, I was using the largest pinion I had. My bet is I could gear this right around 6.4 or so and should be a nice warm but not hot motor. To say the least I was very pleased with this motor after having heard some negatives about it previously. There were two folks running much lower winds and they could only pull me on the straight, the infield is tight and technical and the C2 had more pewp in the low end then the others had, made for some fun practice laps feeling like a rabbit with the hounds on my tail.
Fasttrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 02:39 PM   #6152
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

fasttrack i said usually.
depends on your track size and what shape of tune your motors in and how it was worked at factory.
i have only found a couple motors need gearing, they produce short spool up time on the dyno and liked to be geared like that due to the torque they produce.but if your motors take awhile to spool up and make good power then they like a lower gear.
Old 09-15-2003, 03:45 PM   #6153
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by speedxl
fasttrack i said usually.
depends on your track size and what shape of tune your motors in and how it was worked at factory.
i have only found a couple motors need gearing, they produce short spool up time on the dyno and liked to be geared like that due to the torque they produce.but if your motors take awhile to spool up and make good power then they like a lower gear.
Out of curiosity, are you using one of the wheel based dynos? You said spool up time and assumed that must be info gained from that type of dyno. And yes I did go through the motor with my springs, brushes and lube, was just surprised the motor was almost completely opposite of what I expected prior to hitting the track.
Fasttrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 04:12 PM   #6154
Tech Elite

yes it was a fhatom dyno i dont pay to much attentiont horspower #'s as much as i do the spool up time that s usually will tell what gearing to run with the #' s that the motor is producing. just a guide but not always accurate maybee 90% .
Old 09-15-2003, 05:11 PM   #6155
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Nexus
Hockey07 - depending on where you buy it you can probably pick up a Trinity 19T Arcornite...or if you want fixed timing try the Orion Element.

both of these motors should be as fast if not faster then your friends motor.
Well ill check them out when i go to my LHS to get my car fixed.. see what they have, their prices, ect.

Quote:
Originally posted by... someone
Actually, vB is $160
why cant i keep that $20 for myself? lol
Hockey07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 08:08 PM   #6156
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Me+RC=$$$ Send a message via Yahoo to Me+RC=$$$
off the topic

Well, I am buying a Xip X-Mod Super lathe for $75. It's brand new and comes with a Slave motor, all I need is a bit. has anyone had any experience with this lathe? I'm on a budget so I'm trying to decide if I want this or a Cobra Pro com lathe. Anyone tried either of these lathes or heard anything about which is better? I'm only racing at the local track so I'm not going to have to be precise.
Me+RC=$$$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 08:12 PM   #6157
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to johnny55
Default Re: off the topic

Quote:
Originally posted by Me+RC=$$$
Well, I am buying a Xip X-Mod Super lathe for $75. It's brand new and comes with a Slave motor, all I need is a bit. has anyone had any experience with this lathe? I'm on a budget so I'm trying to decide if I want this or a Cobra Pro com lathe. Anyone tried either of these lathes or heard anything about which is better? I'm only racing at the local track so I'm not going to have to be precise.
I use the X-zipp with a dimond bit and absolutly love it!! I had a trinity pro-3 which is double in price but the X-Zipp is in my opinion the best lathe out their. Best thing about it its not that expencive brand new!!
Old 09-15-2003, 08:17 PM   #6158
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Me+RC=$$$ Send a message via Yahoo to Me+RC=$$$

Looks like I'll be buying that then thanks a lot
Me+RC=$$$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 08:37 PM   #6159
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to =MisFitz= NuKe Send a message via Yahoo to =MisFitz= NuKe

Yeah, you are making a good choice with that or the cobra, I own the xipp and have used the cobra, and both work great. My lathe is just not starting to be inaccurate after 3 years with the same bit!
=MisFitz= NuKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 10:20 PM   #6160
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Johnnytc3

Does anybody know why you would use 2deg kickup 2deg caster instead of 0 deg kickup and 4 deg caster. They both have same total caster but how does each one effect the car?
Johnnytc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 12:43 AM   #6161
Tech Apprentice

2° kickup plus 2° caster goes smoother into the corners as 0°kickup and 4° caster. 0°+4° is more aggressive.
Manfredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 01:00 PM   #6162
Tech Elite

TTT
Old 09-18-2003, 03:52 PM   #6163

Hi guys, I'm replacing some parts on my TC3 for the upcoming carpet season. I needed the upper and lower transmission cases for the front and rear, so I ordered part #2368 from Tower, but I only got the top halves. I checked AE's site, and that is all that is included, but I can't find the lower cases anywhere

Does anyone have a part number for the lower cases? In the manual its part #3910 for the upper and lower cases, but AE revised it to part #2368 for just the top cases, so now I have no idea how to get my hands on the lower cases.
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 04:02 PM   #6164
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to =MisFitz= NuKe Send a message via Yahoo to =MisFitz= NuKe

I believe you got hosed. lol, you should have gotten both halfs, with that new part number, or you just dont see that the one in there is the bottom half, one or the other.
=MisFitz= NuKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 04:04 PM   #6165
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

What the difference between a nitro tc3 oneway and a tc3 oneway?
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote