R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-07-2003, 07:26 PM   #6046
Tech Regular

i understand about the sanding of the gears, but after like 5 or 6 runs on a brand new car, it is worked in real good, and there is almost no need for further break in.

depending on what car i use for what track, that is what i do to the berrings(you want all seals for parking lot racing)

and dont the B4 cups look cleaner
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 07:29 PM   #6047
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to rinkrat99
Default TC3 newbie! `

Hi all,

I finally got my TC3 that I should have bought instead of a HPI RS4 Rally!

I bought the Racer kit because I will almost bever race the car but just run parking lot with friends.

I need some advice with reagrds to the lack of Bearings in the Racer kit.

The Ackerman Steering bushings p/n 3856 and the Diff Bushings p/n 3907

I will install the Diff bearings but wasn't sure if the Ackerman ones are a must have, or replace them when the bushing wears out?

Any other suggestions with regards to bearings?

Thanks
rinkrat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 07:32 PM   #6048
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Mike D.

I have been trying the setup you have posted here for the nationals in Durham NC. I like the setup in your post you noted that you had made some changes for the cooler temp what if any did you do thinner oil softer spring, ect

any help would be appreciated I have been running this and I have felt faster in the corners than my previous setup.

Thanks Rodney

PS. I race with kilruf (Jimmy Mac) weekly
RodneyRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 07:45 PM   #6049
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: TC3 newbie! `

Quote:
Originally posted by rinkrat99
Hi all,

I finally got my TC3 that I should have bought instead of a HPI RS4 Rally!

I bought the Racer kit because I will almost bever race the car but just run parking lot with friends.

I need some advice with reagrds to the lack of Bearings in the Racer kit.

The Ackerman Steering bushings p/n 3856 and the Diff Bushings p/n 3907

I will install the Diff bearings but wasn't sure if the Ackerman ones are a must have, or replace them when the bushing wears out?

Any other suggestions with regards to bearings?

Thanks
hi,by all means get the bearings,the ackermann bushings are not necessary,depending on how u want to modify ur steering response only.
try the standard ackermann 1st.
why should've u gotten the HPI?TC3 is good..
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 07:53 PM   #6050
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to rinkrat99

Hi all,

Thanks for the heads up on the Ackerman bushings. I will build it as is for now and see what happens. I need to hit the LHS on Monday to pick up a few (4) 3/16 x 5/16 Diff bearings before I go to the next step.

FYI - I originally bought a Associated T3 for playing around my home which has dirt roads. I then bought a HPI RS4 Rally because I wanted to use it for both onroad and offroad. Well it did not work well offroad and I have been struggling to make it work onroad. I then bought a Tamiya F201 Williams and that is a blast to drive onroad. I am just now working on getting the proper motor and setup. Well another gift opportunity came my way today and I bought a TC3. I was debating a year ago whether to buy a TC3 or a HPI Rally. I decided the most frequent use would be the dirt roads. Well that turned quickly into a parking lot and have not looked back since.

I know the TC3 is argurably the best sedan out there. The LHS always suggests the XXX-S over the TC3 but I really like the Associated kits.

I plan on building the kit slowly as there is no reason to rush and make mistakes.

Do you have any other hints about the build?
rinkrat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 08:37 PM   #6051
Tech Elite

hints...hmm..
well sanding the diff case/gearbox seems to be a popular thing,but i suggest not yet.
cant think of anything else right now(blocked brained )
good luck and happy playing.
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 09:34 PM   #6052
Tech Regular

i can see that you can write, now just READ the directions!

ae kits are easy to build and have GREAT directions!

mostley just get the shocks right, one mistake and you will have bubbles as your nickname !

hahahahahahahahahahaha
its all good, the whole kit goes together real smothley, only the shocks and making the steering loose enough to have the rack move are the semi difficult parts to build

and dont take off the berring seals if you are going to run the car in the parking lots!

they will wear out a lot quicker and go slower when they wear out.

it i guess is a new racer kit?

does it have the NTC3 diff housings?(two extra holes, in front and behind the shock towers)
if it does, the holes that are closer to the center go through, so i would fill the holes up with a setscrew, or something else that will prevent anything from getting into the gear boxes
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 11:28 PM   #6053
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Yesterday was a pretty bad day for my TC3. I broke 4 CVDs! Whenever I tap the wall just a bit, I would kill a CVD bone. Ugggg....I had the shiny CVDs on and that broke, than the hard steel Tobee Craft ones, than the aluminum ones. All broke at the same places, where the CVD hinges onto the axle. Anyone have a cure for this?

Yes, I run a OneWay.

The taps were not hard at all and I've seen so many people tap walls much harder with their TC3s and came out Ok...
Old 09-07-2003, 11:33 PM   #6054
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Johnnytc3

check your steering blocks and hubcarriers, the ball stud that screws down into the carrier sounds loose and also check the bhs screw on the bottom of the carrier. If that doesnt work, i would get the IRS big dawg cvds. i use them in the front and havent had one break yet (other than replacing pin cushions) and i run a solid front.
Johnnytc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 11:36 PM   #6055
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Johnnytc3

oh yea, if you are still using the stock steering blocks, the next time you replace them use the Losi ones. You will thank yourself later.
Johnnytc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 11:38 PM   #6056
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Thanks Johnnytc3. Actually...I have the losi blocks on already. I've check all the ball stud and screw. Everything is tight and in order.
Old 09-08-2003, 02:32 AM   #6057
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to OHBRAD
Default gear cases

i sanded my gear cases last friday night, it really made a huge difference, guys do it if you get the chance.

i had already ordered the warp speed one, so they will go in the other tc3 and see how they go.

regards brad.p
Old 09-08-2003, 05:25 AM   #6058
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default gear cases...

has anyone ever posted exact instructions with pics on how to sand your gear cases...and where exactly you have to do it?

i read alot about freeing up the diff but i am still unclear what exactly everyone is doing....looking for info and pics.

thanks.
Old 09-08-2003, 06:27 AM   #6059
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mab_man20

Nexus: Are you still running down at Tinley? I think im going to make it down there this sunday and i can show you were i sanded.
mab_man20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 08:42 AM   #6060
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer
Default Re: gear cases...

Quote:
Originally posted by Nexus
has anyone ever posted exact instructions with pics on how to sand your gear cases...and where exactly you have to do it?

i read alot about freeing up the diff but i am still unclear what exactly everyone is doing....looking for info and pics.

thanks.
Basically, everywhere that the diff cases hold a bearing tends to be just a TAAAD snug which pinches the bearings.

If you sand those slightly, just slightly, always checking to see fit, you can get them to not pinch the bearings and get a free-er drivetrain.