R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree4Likes

Old 07-26-2003, 08:45 AM   #5596
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would also like to add that you will notice on alot of performance full scale cars... a hook or curved section in the steering rods at the hub location. This can and will help nullify bumpsteer through severe suspension oscillations. Schumacher tried something very similar to this on one of its off road cars years ago... calling it "active" something or another. It was a great idea... but there is still not enough suspension travel and roll on our R/C cars to make use of this. What i would like to see... but is most likely improbable because of space... is separate locations for dampers and springs to optimise suspension oscillation. Look under the fenders of a BMW M3, and you will see what im talking about. Sweeeet tech for a butter smooth ride with nimble handling to boot.
- Dave
Old 07-27-2003, 04:53 AM   #5597
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to OHBRAD
Default TC3 PARTS WHERE TO BUY???

Hi guys from Australia,

wanting to know where the place to buy TC3 parts are online, i mean in price as well and a wide range. I went to tower hobies last night and found that they seem to not carry the graphite parts for the factory team that i require, in fact they seemed to have a very limited choice of parts to be honest.

Any ideas would be appreciated

regards Brad
Old 07-27-2003, 06:24 AM   #5598
Tech Adept

hey guys is there a big weight difference going with graphite molded parts(arms,chassis,etc) instead of the standard plastic?
crono man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 07:57 AM   #5599
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default Re: TC3 PARTS WHERE TO BUY???

Quote:
Originally posted by OHBRAD
Hi guys from Australia,

wanting to know where the place to buy TC3 parts are online, i mean in price as well and a wide range. I went to tower hobies last night and found that they seem to not carry the graphite parts for the factory team that i require, in fact they seemed to have a very limited choice of parts to be honest.

Any ideas would be appreciated

regards Brad
check this guy out. he has a good inventory and a lot of trick after market stuff also.

www.speedtechrc.com

'OL BUZZARD FARMING (lol)
howard hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 04:57 PM   #5600
Regional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Mike F
Default Shim Question

Anyone not using the shims on the Front or Rear diffs? The one that goes between the diff bearing and the outdrive.

Next question, not using it, would that cause any internal problems with the bearing and/or outdrive?
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 05:58 PM   #5601
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i don't use any of the shims. no problems to speak of.
barnacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 06:04 PM   #5602
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to johnny55
Default Re: Shim Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike F
Anyone not using the shims on the Front or Rear diffs? The one that goes between the diff bearing and the outdrive.

Next question, not using it, would that cause any internal problems with the bearing and/or outdrive?
Try putting 2 shims on the longer outdrive of your rear. I do and I get a more free drive train. Try it. Using none wont hurt it though I have.
Old 07-27-2003, 07:05 PM   #5603
Tech Regular

i am going to get a new car and alot of people at my track have tc3's and are going very well with them. but since they have been out for so long is there going to be a new car to take over them( like a tc4?)

and does the tc3 come with those locked hex things.you know those things that come out out with ya wheel when u take it off, becasue i hate that. and if they dont can you buy something so they dont fall out.

thanks Matt
Matt04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 07:06 PM   #5604
Regional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Mike F

cool, thanks
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 08:11 PM   #5605
Tech Initiate

Default Tweaked or Not?

I have a question about tweak. With my tc3, droop set same, car balanced side to side, shock length set the same with calipers, no binding in the control arms or ball joints: I put the car on my tweak station and it sits perfect, but if I take my finger and push down on the center of the gear case, the rear compresses equally. With the front wheels on the beam with the level, when I compress it, one side goes down farther than the other. When I let go, it returns to perfect level. I tried switching shock/ spring assy from side to side, now other side goes down more, same as when on other side. I tried another set of springs and does the same. Can this be adjusted out with preload spacers, or should I look at something else? Thanks for any help.
nitromike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 08:12 PM   #5606
Tech Master

Believe me, USE the shims. I know a guy that has his shimmed just right and the drive train will spin forever.
NismoSkyline17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 08:36 PM   #5607
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Re: Tweaked or Not?

Quote:
Originally posted by nitromike
I have a question about tweak. With my tc3, droop set same, car balanced side to side, shock length set the same with calipers, no binding in the control arms or ball joints: I put the car on my tweak station and it sits perfect, but if I take my finger and push down on the center of the gear case, the rear compresses equally. With the front wheels on the beam with the level, when I compress it, one side goes down farther than the other. When I let go, it returns to perfect level. I tried switching shock/ spring assy from side to side, now other side goes down more, same as when on other side. I tried another set of springs and does the same. Can this be adjusted out with preload spacers, or should I look at something else? Thanks for any help.
measure your springs with calipers to make sure they are the same size. i found out after 3 hrs the silver springs that come packaged together have a 2mm difference in them.
barnacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 09:10 PM   #5608
Tech Fanatic

I also have a question about tweak. But a slight bit different, my question is how to adjust it. Some people have said that you adjust tweak with droop. But some say that's wrong. So how do you guys ajust it?
racerdx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 09:16 PM   #5609
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Well...your droop should be even left to right all the time....

Your pre-load collars are the way you adjust for tweak
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 09:38 PM   #5610
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Matt04, my understanding is that Associated isn't currently planning on designing a new TC right now, though I think they have discussed a few running changes to the TC3(which we could easily incorporate into our current cars), but I have no idea if they've made a decision on it. I don't think you'll need to worry about a TC3 becoming obsolete too soon, I've had my first one for over 3 1/2 years & it's still very competitive(just ask TSR6, we raced each other a lot at the Novak TC Champs in Janurary, & that's the car I used, ). As for locking hexes, no, the TC3 doesn't come with any out of the box, but there are aftermarket ones available. I bought some from Yokomo, & I love 'em(2 sets actually, the first was the kind with an O-Ring capturing the roll pin, & the newer kind that's the clamp-on type)......

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote