R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-02-2003, 09:42 PM   #5206
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by Tsubasa Sakai
Hi guys,I just got a TC3.Can someone shows me what is the best way to solder the battery connector?Seem the normal 3x2 saddle pack with vertical connector doesn't fit any all.
Thanks.
I'm not sure if i can describe it well...but what i did was make a slot using a dremel on the center brace so that it clears the corally plugs...attach is a quick drawing of it...will take pic soon for you if u need it....i did 4 slot so that i could move the batteries forward or backward if i need to
Attached Images
File Type: bmp battery brace mod.bmp (134.8 KB, 158 views)
Finsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 10:12 PM   #5207
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Tsubasa Sakai
Hi guys,I just got a TC3.Can someone shows me what is the best way to solder the battery connector?Seem the normal 3x2 saddle pack with vertical connector doesn't fit any all.
Thanks.
You don't need to dremel the chassis ... you just need to bend a couple of Dean's Battery Bars and solder the Corally or R-Minus style plugs on top ...

These pics are a little blurry but will give you a good idea of what I mean ...
Hooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 10:16 PM   #5208
Tech Regular

Here is pic 1 ... it is a pack that I have not finished ... the Deans Battery Bar is bent and soldered on and that is as far as I've gotten ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deansbatterybar.jpg (37.3 KB, 139 views)
Old 06-02-2003, 10:18 PM   #5209
Tech Regular

Here is pic 2 ... it is a pack that is finished ... the plug is mounted on top of the Deans Battery Bar ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deansbatterybarfinished.jpg (119.8 KB, 133 views)
Old 06-02-2003, 10:21 PM   #5210
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Yes your oil weight is way too thin. Your springs are also a tad soft for foam tires. Another thing i noticed, almost no one runs the same compound foam front and rear (electric), try plaid fronts and purple rears. Also try 70 wt front, 60 wt back for oil. And purple/red springs for asphalt. Hope this helps

Quote:
Originally posted by Finsy
I have an IRS chassis FTTC3 and need some help in setting up the kit. The car seems to hookup during off power and spin out during on power.If I practically slows the car it doesnt hookup. I was thinking of putting in heavier weight oil as it seems that weight transfer from front/rear is very fast.Does putting heavier oil slow the weight transfer?If so what is a good weight to start off with?I have from 30-70wt oil in my pit box.

My setup:-

Aspalt medium to high traction

Front
35 shore GRP foam
30wt oil
red spring
1.5deg camber
4deg caster/no kickup
0deg toe-out
camber links long(inner/upper)
balldiff/steel diff halves
aluminium CVD/pin cushion
5mm ride height
droop 6 on Assoc. gauge

Rear
35 shore GRP foam
30wt oil
blue spring
1.5deg camber
3deg toe in
camber links long(inner/upper)
balldiff/plastic diff halves
composite bones
battery upfront
5.5mm ride height
droop 4 on Assoc. gauge

Once I get the car running right I already have a locked diff and also a one way to try which is better for my local track.If anything is missing from my setup please do let me know so that you guys can help me better

Thanks
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 10:23 PM   #5211
Tech Regular

Here is pic 3 ... in one of my cars ... notice that the battery sits in its normal position without any modification ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deansbatterybarfinishedincar.jpg (54.2 KB, 178 views)
Old 06-02-2003, 10:26 PM   #5212
Tech Regular

Just a reminder however ... if you are running a graphite chassis as in the picture, you must use a dielectric to isolate the battery from the frame since graphite is an electrical conductor and will short between cells ... I use elctrical tape, but it must be replaced quite often.
Old 06-02-2003, 10:46 PM   #5213
Tech Addict

Axiom you got a tc3 now? Thought you were a losi guy Anyway you'll be fast as long as you run axiom
teamAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 10:54 PM   #5214
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by Axiom5B
Yes your oil weight is way too thin. Your springs are also a tad soft for foam tires. Another thing i noticed, almost no one runs the same compound foam front and rear (electric), try plaid fronts and purple rears. Also try 70 wt front, 60 wt back for oil. And purple/red springs for asphalt. Hope this helps
Axiom5B - i try the changes that you sugested and will see if that helps....locally there's no color coded foams available only with shore rating....i'll try 37 front 35 rear the next time i hit the track...by the way would your suggestion be good on a one way or a spool

thanks
Old 06-02-2003, 10:57 PM   #5215
Tech Adept

hooked - i see you're running a Novak SS...what gear ratio/rollout are you running
Old 06-02-2003, 11:16 PM   #5216
Tech Regular

Quote:
hooked - i see you're running a Novak SS...what gear ratio/rollout are you running
Man ... you've got some sharp eyes ... not much in that pic for clues, but you nailed it ...

I'm currently running 22/72 48 pitch ... my tires are approx. 62.5 mm ... therefore my rollout is approx. 23.99 mm = 0.94434 inches
Old 06-02-2003, 11:24 PM   #5217
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by Hooked
Man ... you've got some sharp eyes ... not much in that pic for clues, but you nailed it ...

I'm currently running 22/72 48 pitch ... my tires are approx. 62.5 mm ... therefore my rollout is approx. 23.99 mm = 0.94434 inches
thanks...sensor wires and the connectors gave the hints
Old 06-03-2003, 06:34 PM   #5218
Tech Regular

Quote:
thanks...sensor wires and the connectors gave the hints
Darn ... I knew I should have cut them off before taking the pics
Old 06-03-2003, 07:50 PM   #5219
Tech Master

Regarding fitting the batteries, 2400's fit fine and do not touch the chassis. I bought 3300's and they are tight. I was told the graphite chassis will short the pack if it touches, is this true?

I tried double sided tape (leaving the plastic on one side) on both sides of the tray but now the batteries don't fit.

Anyway, Question is, will the chassis short out the pack? If so what is the fix?
R/C HEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 09:31 PM   #5220
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by RCJohnny
Regarding fitting the batteries, 2400's fit fine and do not touch the chassis. I bought 3300's and they are tight. I was told the graphite chassis will short the pack if it touches, is this true?

I tried double sided tape (leaving the plastic on one side) on both sides of the tray but now the batteries don't fit.

Anyway, Question is, will the chassis short out the pack? If so what is the fix?
The graphite chassis will definately short the batteries ... I use the foam pieces from the AE B2 buggy (pn 9238 - "B2 Battery Spacers, Foam - Two Foam Pads") on the outer edge of the chassis and electrical tape on the inner edge of the chassis ... 2400, 3000, and 3300 fit nice and snug ... the electrical tape needs to be replaced every so often though ...

I can include a pic if you want ... my dig camera is in the garage, but I can get it ...