R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree4Likes

Old 05-21-2003, 04:34 PM   #5146
Tech Fanatic

What does a crush spacer actually do? I know where it goes but I don't understand what it is there for?
racerdx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 05:27 PM   #5147
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

a "crush spacer" is just a metal collar that goes in the hub between the two hub bearings. it is there so that when you tighten down your wheel nut only the two inner races of the two bearing will be sandwiched so the bearings wont bind.

[email protected]
Jarrod Langlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 05:41 PM   #5148
Tech Fanatic

Ahhhhhhh, I see . I think I'm gonna get me some of those . Thanks!
racerdx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 05:51 PM   #5149
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Johnnytc3

does anybody know where they sell the carbon fiber top brace for the tc3?
thanks
johnny
Johnnytc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 06:33 PM   #5150
Tech Elite

Hello All

I'll be at the Reedy Race, and taking lots of pics. Come it out on the same named thread. Come check it out
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 06:09 AM   #5151
Tech Adept

Default Steering Problems!!

my steering doesnt seems to center itself...but when i put the car on a car stand it center itself perfectly...as far as i know my servo(KO2143) is not where the problem is as i've fitted it in my other kit(not tc3) and it center itself properly...i have also check all ballstud(RPM) to ensure there's no binding and also clean the steering rack with rubbing alcohol. my steering rack is also has lots of side freeplay(left to right movement about 3mm range)...so far this is the most sloppy steering rack that i've seen in kits that i've ever assembled(C4.1/TRF414/MR4TC/ALEX).....servo has no freeplay on it....by the way kit is newly built ..servo is also brand new....and also the tires on the TC3 is foam if this does help
wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 06:19 AM   #5152
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TigeRyan

Wiley, could of things to check...

1. Is your servo horn stripped...
2. Is your servo saver on the steering rack too loose or too tight
3. I would still check for stripped gears in the servo, even though it is new...

Thats were I would start....

HTH
TigeRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 06:31 AM   #5153
Tech Adept

Hi TigeRyan

Thanks for you reply..

1)servo horn not stripped....tried on 3 servo horn(2 associated 1 aftermarket Aluminium)

2)i've tried from loose till tight...but it's still the same...even tried to loosen and tightening the 2 nuts that hold the rack

3)i might look into this but i tried using the servo on other kit and it center itself properly

can anyone let me know by how much does your steering rack has side to side play...like mentioned earlier mine was about 3mm??is this normal??....

and also it just doesnt return to center after turning right ...turn left it centers nicely

i'm pretty much stumped by this problem....anyone else please help direct me where i could try to solve this...
Old 05-23-2003, 06:52 AM   #5154
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

When you are testing your servo put your car on the ground ready to run. Then try your test, turn left and turn right. What you are doing is putting more load on the servo because of the friction and weight of the car. It might be possible that the servo cannot handle the load for some reason.

Have you tried a different servo in your car?

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 07:33 AM   #5155
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by Kraig
When you are testing your servo put your car on the ground ready to run. Then try your test, turn left and turn right. What you are doing is putting more load on the servo because of the friction and weight of the car. It might be possible that the servo cannot handle the load for some reason.

Have you tried a different servo in your car?
thanks kraig

i'll try to get another servo to test...but i dont think KO2143 cant handle weight on a TC....and also it center properly after turning left ...only after right turn it doesnt center...so the servo is more than adequate for the application...but heck i'll just need to take out another servo to test the centering

anymore suggestion would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-23-2003, 09:22 PM   #5156
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by wiley
thanks kraig

i'll try to get another servo to test...but i dont think KO2143 cant handle weight on a TC....and also it center properly after turning left ...only after right turn it doesnt center...so the servo is more than adequate for the application...but heck i'll just need to take out another servo to test the centering

anymore suggestion would be greatly appreciated
total of 3 servo has been mounted on the car to check the steering problem i'm having...servos are KO2143/Futaba9450/Sanwa VR(airtronics) all servo are digital and has metal gears....but i'm still having the same problem...tested on other cars using the abovementioned servos all were centering properly

this car is one of the greatest car ever produced with 5years of no change of layout cept for running changes...but it seems this FTTC3 gonna be the greatest nightmare for me ....i sincerely need all the help i could get in trying to figure out the centering problem...apart from the servo i have change all the ballends/ballcups/steering rack/clean the rack ballbearings.....thing that i have check for tightness or whether parts are scrubbing against each other are steering arm/servo saver

i'm gonna rebuilt the whole car against and while i'm at it , i really hope someone could guide me in any way to avoid this problem

thanks
Old 05-24-2003, 06:46 AM   #5157
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default just a thought

please check if the ball cap screw protrudes inside the steering rack, it might be hitting the bearings.

If you remove the servo, does the steering linkages move freely?
If so then its probably the servo.

Have you checked if you used the appropriate servo horn?

Did you replace the ball cups? or just using the stock ones?

Have you checked the servo saver and the way it is placed and mounted.

Sorry bro, that's the only thing I could think of, sounds a little crazy but those are the mistakes that I encounter before.
lem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 07:02 AM   #5158
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TigeRyan

I have one other thought similiar to the last gent....

Make sure you have replaced any ball cups in the steering linkage with RPM ball cups they are thicker and may run on the chassis and catch and they will require a slight tap to get past that point, and depending on the angle it could only happen going one direction....

Just another thought...

HTH
TigeRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 07:08 AM   #5159
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by TigeRyan
I have one other thought similiar to the last gent....

Make sure you have replaced any ball cups in the steering linkage with RPM ball cups they are thicker and may run on the chassis and catch and they will require a slight tap to get past that point, and depending on the angle it could only happen going one direction....

Just another thought...

HTH
you got the words rght out of my mouth!!! hehehehe thanks
you can't use RPM ball cups on the servo.
lem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 07:14 AM   #5160
Tech Adept

Default Re: just a thought

Quote:
Originally posted by lem2
please check if the ball cap screw protrudes inside the steering rack, it might be hitting the bearings.

If you remove the servo, does the steering linkages move freely?
If so then its probably the servo.

Have you checked if you used the appropriate servo horn?

Did you replace the ball cups? or just using the stock ones?

Have you checked the servo saver and the way it is placed and mounted.

Sorry bro, that's the only thing I could think of, sounds a little crazy but those are the mistakes that I encounter before.
hi lem2

currently still trying to sort out the problem...now am at work doing night shift and brought the car along to diassemble it later

1)steering moves freely when not connected to servo arms
2)replaced the ballcups to RPM...but change again to stock ballstud(new unused ones)...and back to new "RPM"
3)servo saver checked