R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-19-2003, 07:17 PM   #4831
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rdub202

anyone try/use the megatech tc3 chassis is it ne good?
_|MRC/Team Academy_|_www.modelrec.com|_
rdub202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 09:27 PM   #4832
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Anyone that was at the 2002 US Indoor Champs, do you have a good setup for mod and/or stock?
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 09:56 PM   #4833
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The nice thing about AE is they keep updating the current design rather than come out with a whole new platform like other companies. Im sure most of us would like to drive the latest model from that manufacturer, whichever one you like. Look at Tamiya for example, great cars but man where does it stop(evoII, 414mII, evo3) all with in the last 2 years. And whats even greater AE offer upgrade kits on some of thier models like the b2 to b3 conversion so you dont have to chuck down alot of change to have the latest.
rcdougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 07:48 AM   #4834

Default Re: HELP!

Quote:
Originally posted by jta
Hi guys, i need help with my tc3. How do I get more on- power steering? Off-power, my tc3 has lots of steering but on-power it pushes a lot. As a result, I am very slow in the corners because I have to fully release the throttle in order for my car to be able to make the turn.
A tight front diff setting, solid axle or one-way in the front will all help with on power steering. I would try a solid axle.

Last edited by OB42TC3; 04-20-2003 at 08:13 AM.
OB42TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 07:54 AM   #4835
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TigeRyan

Will a center one-way add on-power steering as well? Just wondering...

Also, I run my TC3 slightly softer front shock springs then in the rear on a unprepared asphalt...is that normal, or am I creating more of a setup nightmare for myself???
TigeRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 07:57 AM   #4836

Quote:
Originally posted by rdub202
i also read on competitionX that a larger wheelbase gives u better steering. ill have to email my track and see what they say. thx Ramon.

-Ryan-
Yes. It has to do with the weight transfer across the car and how much static weight is on the rear axle. Better steering should not be confused with minimum steering radius, because a longer wheelbase still increases steering radius, but the change there is very small compared to the effects on weight transfer.
Old 04-20-2003, 08:08 AM   #4837

Quote:
Originally posted by TigeRyan
Will a center one-way add on-power steering as well? Just wondering...

Also, I run my TC3 slightly softer front shock springs then in the rear on a unprepared asphalt...is that normal, or am I creating more of a setup nightmare for myself???
No. The center one-way will allow it to free wheel going in and that's it(plus no brakes)

It's not normal. I bet you wouldn't see a whole lot of negatives if you went stiffer. The TC3 front suspension has the lower mounting hole much farther inside compared to the rear. What this means is that to get the same force at the tire(this is called wheel rate). The minimum you would want to go to be balanced is Fr/Rr
white-purple
yellow-copper
purple-red
copper-gold
red-blue
gold-silver
blue-green

That's not to say you can't go softer in the front. Most passenger cars(all?) have front wheel rate lower than rear to help the car ride better. Most race cars have a little stiffer front because you don't car how it rides and tracks are pretty smooth anyway. I wouldn't go more than one step softer than the above chart though.
Old 04-20-2003, 08:43 AM   #4838
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

can i just post this question for my friend:

* how do you guys adjust your diffs? as per the manual, which states that you should let off 1/2 from a fully compressed spring or.... another method?

thnx...
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 08:49 AM   #4839
dw
Tech Adept

Adjust as per manual. Then run each diff in by applying partial throttle with one pair of wheels (left or right, it doesn't matter) on the ground and the other pair lifted off the ground. Do this for about 15 second then readjust the diffs.
Recheck the adjustment after the first run.

If you don't run the diffs in you will end up with the diff backing off as the parts seat.

This applies to any car, not just the tc3.
dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 11:07 AM   #4840
Tech Elite

thanks... so, this means you have to take them out to re-adjust them? but i think, now, i see the problem my friend is having... he sets the diff too hard, and the diff backs off as they set, thereby causing them to melt under the heat...
Old 04-20-2003, 01:43 PM   #4841
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TigeRyan

The TC3 diffs can be adjusted in the car, you just have to pop the one tire off and insert the driver into the hex and rotate the opposite side tire to tighten or loosen....

Thanks for the help with the setup, makes sense to me...I tried the front spool last year (was one of the first people to have the IRS version, Dave Irragang is a local) and it worked real well, except I seemed to get swirly coming out of the corners on power, it is broke the front wheels loose....I did get it better by end of the outdoor season though....I went stiffer on my front spings and increased oil weight....
TigeRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 12:04 AM   #4842
Tech Elite

TigeRyan:

thnx... thats right... overlooked that part... about the diff adjustment

about the front spool...we coudn't get the front ways to work with the TC3... it would spin out, and as you put it, make the car swirly on the exit... so.. did you retain the spool or swithced back to diffs?
Old 04-21-2003, 01:01 PM   #4843
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to AssociatedRacer

Hey, I currently have composite CVD's. They've been working fine for a long time. Should I upgrade to IRS Big Dawgs when these break or just get another set of composite ones. I noticed that pro's use composite in rear and aluminum upfront, but this is because their running a spool right?

thnx
AssociatedRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 01:43 PM   #4844
Tech Adept

If you are running the spool or one way, probably get the big dawgs. If not, composite is fine.

With the spool, any contact would bend the stock al shafts and snap the composites.

Highway, the spool and one way are basically the same on power. They should help on exit more than anywhere.

The spool causes push on entry and the one way has a tendency to to oversteer on entry. Both are the same on exit as long as you are on power.

I've been running the spool for a while with a similar setup to the baker setup, but with more front droop. I think that helps control the front wheels breaking under power.
Dingus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 02:43 PM   #4845
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I ran Bakers set up for Tamiya this weekend @ So Cal. OMG! That thing had to most aggresive steering I've ever felt. It was very fast if you could handle it. The car followed the front end wherever you pointed it. I had to slow down the steering EXP to try and smooth things out a little. I'm going to try and run that setup this year @ the Reedy race. We'll see. It's going to take a lot of pratice to get used to that agressive of a setup.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote