R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-08-2003, 11:32 PM   #4711
Tech Adept

I also got a XXXs to play with. so far it's set up a little softer than our TC3's. it's as fast as our TC3 in stock IF driven right and it "feels" somewhat easier to drive on most tracks. but as you said it has to be driven smoothly to be fast. also the braking points are deeper in the corners than the TC3 so far this has produced slower laps for my driver has he seems to want to brake around the same spots as the TC3 (all he has driven is a TC3). I think it would make a good rubber car. (we run all foams where we race)
Fakk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 05:59 AM   #4712
Tech Adept

Nice to see you here Jason! Sorry about switching back to the TC3 on Sunday, but I just can't seem to get away from that car.

I know that I'm pretty biased on the TC3. It was my first TC and with 4 years invested in the car, the learning curve to switch to any other car would be long. Maybe I'm just impatient, but the Losi didn't convince me that it is better, just different. So, I'll just put the Yokomo Euro Truck body on it and have fun with it this summer!

AE did a great job on the TC3, no doubt about that. The one problem that I would like to see them solve is the weight balance. With our newer batteries, even moving them toward the center doesn't get the balance right. One of our local racers split his packs into three sets to two cells. He moved two cells from the center of the pack to the speed control section and put the speedo in between the other four on the battery side. He said it balanced his car, but it seems like a pretty cumbersome solution to me.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.....

Jeff Gilligan
gotpez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 06:09 AM   #4713
Tech Adept

The Losi definitely feels softer than the TC3. I guess that is why it feels like it handles better, but is slower.

The only time I've ever had rubber tires on my car is when I just want to play in front of my house. I've been foams all the way in racing. That comes from my 1/12th background I guess, I'm already used to foams and I like them.

To me, the TC3 is definitely the best car out right now. It is easy to get setup, it's fast, and it's still forgiving for newer drivers. That's a great combination. The one downside to this is that the car can look and feel incredibly fast and still be slow. You definitely need to keep your eye on the lap times to measure the performance.

It's only been about 6 weeks since I found this site and learned a TON about my car. I've always been one of the faster guys at our local track, but when the big dogs showed up, I was usually at least a lap down to them. One of our local hot shots showed up a few weeks ago and beat my track record by nearly 2 laps. I started making changes I had read about on here and before the weekend was over I was back to within less than 1/2 a lap of his new record. I thought it was pretty amazing that the minor changes I made have such a dramatic effect. My lap times went gone down anywhere from 3 to 5 tenths.

Keep the faith, TC3 forever!!!!

Jeff Gilligan
Old 04-09-2003, 08:40 PM   #4714
Tech Fanatic

What changes did you make? I wanna try them on my tc3
racerdx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 10:48 PM   #4715
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

PIMPEDACCORD, Come to Y-City Sunday. I got a Losi to match up against you and Gilligan's TC3's Do not under estimate the belts my brutha's..... although I want the new Yok

C-ya guys Sunday. Got a race pass from the wife!
RBLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 05:51 AM   #4716
Tech Addict
Location: Orange County TrackMasters "The Home of R/C Champions"
Default sway bar info:

that just about cleared up any questions I ever had regarding sway bars, where were you 3 years ago when I couldn't figure that out? Thanks.

Can you help me with the Caster blocks with your examples?
What is the difference in running the 4degree vs the 0degree blocks?
why and when would you use one vs the other.

Any info appreciated
BendingCorners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 06:16 AM   #4717
Tech Adept

Hey Rob,

I never said the belt cars weren't fast, I just said they have to be driven right to be fast. They may be forgiving as far as handling goes, but they aren't when it comes to going fast. You need to keep your speed up through the corners or the TC3 will definitely come to get you! My driving style just doesn't seem to fit with the Losi. I guess I'm just too aggressive when attacking the corners.

The changes I made are all listed on earlier pages of this thread. But basically they are this: Moved batteries to forward position, milled chassis to move batteries closer to the centerline, reduced rear toe to 1 degree and installed the 4 degree caster blocks up front.

The car handled great before these changes, so I was quite surprised at the improvement these made. The lesson to me: Don't be afraid to try new things.

Jeff Gilligan
Old 04-11-2003, 02:22 AM   #4718
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Does anyone have any experiece with the new heavy duty one way? Im looking to get one but it seems nobody has them yet (tower, stormer, etc..)
rcdougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 02:29 AM   #4719
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

If there is anybody that attacks corners and drives deep into them it's Rob. You definitely can't underestimate the Losi just because it's belt driven. I have a TC3 and we ran last weekend at Ultra Racing in Cincy. Junior Norton with his X-ray Tq'ed, Rob was second and I was third, all of us within 3 seconds of each other. Rob's laps were just as fast as anybody's in fact he recorded the single fastest lap of the day. In fact it's the fastest single lap on that track period. All this with a Losi. The main was another story we won't go into that will we Rob?

The fact that is less forgiving for beginners is also not true. The aggressive nature of the TC3 makes it more difficult for a beginner to get around the track without hitting while an easier to drive car like the Losi in this instance is less likely to get away from you. This has been proven time and time again at our track when guys switch over and have picked up at least a lap.

I'm not PRO-LOSI in any way I just want to give credit where it's due and also disagree with other fellow TC3 drivers!

I run a TC3 and right now would not trade it for the world !

I'd make the trip up to Y-city this weekend also but I have to work.
Sigearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 06:51 AM   #4720
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

I know. I was just giving you and Switzer a hard time I am pretty excited to get to race at the Y before the season ends! Will be a great day.
RBLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 07:29 AM   #4721
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Warpspeed chassis thickness

Originally posted by pimpedaccord
rangulo- The warpspeed is like 1mm thicker in all the places it shouldn't be...

James Nguyen- Not true... AE makes hubs, steering knuckles, carriers and stuff, but why do almost all the top guys run losi parts (or make their own and market them)??
FYI, if you actually mic a molded chassis, it is 2.6mm. That makes the Warpspeed chassis .4mm thicker. It doesn't change the roll center if everything mounts on the same plane. We thought milling the surface for the trans and suspension mounting areas would only weaken the chassis by creating stress points. Also, it wouldn't be as stiff if the top plate is bolted to the trans cases, which are bolted to a section of the chassis that is 2.6mm rather than 3mm. So you see, we didn't just "slap it together". The anvantage of getting a plate graphite chassis versus molded is that it cannot warp from motor heat and is definately not going to be warped out of the package. Just thought you should know the facts.
Art Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 08:19 AM   #4722
Tech Apprentice
Unhappy Yokomo HD One-way

Rcdougie: I have the same thing. I just still wait that Yokomos made heavy duty one-way from our distributor. I just looking and waiting that until i get it....sometime in future?! Tomorrow i`ll go race with my FTTC3 and assembly spool in it, because i have`t that new one-way
Proto pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 11:57 AM   #4723
Tech Master
Default Questions on my new TC3

I just bought a TC3 on eBay. I am very new to this hobby. Here is a list of parts on this car. Can you let me know what I should keep, change or trash?
1. Drive shaft(Megatech)
2. Long motor heat sink(Associated)
3. Oil filled threaded shocks(4)(Associated)
4. Battery strap bar(Associated)
5. Turnbuckles(Associated)
6. Motor ajustable clamp(Megatech)
7. Cvd bones(Associated)
8. Full screws(Associated)
9. Locknuts(Associated)
10. Shaft mount (Megatech)
11. Chasis braces(Megatech)
12 .Carbon Fiber shocktowers(Megatech) and Front graphite arms(Associated)
13. Front and Rear sway bars(Associated)
14. Blue and Yellow RPM ball cups
15.Yokomo yellow springs
16. Blue bumper
17. X-pattern tires on stock rims
18. 75 tooth-spur gear(Associated)
I am also throwing in,
19. Novak Cyclone speed controller
20, Hi-Tech metal gear servo (HS-625 MG)
21. P2k motor
22.Futaba sport radio and reciever.

Your guys input would be great, like I said I am new to the RC world. If anyone lives near Corona Ca and could help me out that would be great.

Here is some pics of the car. What do you guys think?
R/C HEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 12:10 PM   #4724
Tech Master

Sorry, Here is the pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg car1.jpg (23.5 KB, 193 views)
R/C HEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 04:04 PM   #4725
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Muffin- The point is that when it was slapped together, the whole car was raised. Why would you want to run half an mm higher ride height? Milling .4mm off a 3mm chassis is going to have negligible increases of stress concentrations.
pimpedaccord is offline   Reply With Quote