R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-03-2003, 05:35 PM   #4696
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rdub202

well i went to the HPI site (DUH!) right after i posted that last message and the info on the Challenge. unfortunately i cant make it-its the same weekedn my mom goes away with her "girlfriends-GNO." and i dont think my step dad would drive out there just for me to watch. now about the chassis....where can i find info an "Ray's Chassis."??
rdub202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 05:39 PM   #4697
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to stormperson

I was interested in getting one done as well. btw, now that dumas runs a losi, its hard to mill out even more of the graphite chassis.
stormperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 06:06 PM   #4698
Tech Master

if you guys want a pics of rays chassis i think he posted one a few pages back(not sure which page number)

jarrod@rikter-designs.com
Jarrod Langlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 06:25 PM   #4699
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

hey guys,

I'll post a pic tomorrow. I dont "stock" these-I have them done in small batches when the orders come in. I know it sucks and youve got to wait-but the intersest is far greater than the demand!!!

But-I do it because its cool and they really make the car handle better!!

heres what I do.

Battery box lowered 0.0250". Slots between every battery bar to allow taping and cooling and less weight!!

Batteries moved in 0.500" for better handling.

Cut outs under the diff cases on chassis, under the servo and the motor opening is opened up 0.10" per side. Thsi allows greater cooling, less weight-but does not sacrifice rigidity on the "hot" motor side.

Talk at ya tomorrow. And Thanks pimpedaccord!!!
Ray
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 07:33 PM   #4700

While you have the mill running you need to do 2 slots on the other side of the chassis.
OB42TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 08:28 AM   #4701
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang
Default Pic of milled chassis

Ben-shoot me the dimensions of where the two slots should go and I'll see about it. problem for me is if you do that and your not using them-it makes taping in a small esc a pain-Sometimes!!!

Thanks!
Ray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg milled chassis2.jpg (51.4 KB, 340 views)
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 12:06 PM   #4702
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to stormperson

ray- have you thought about milling out enough to allow the servo to be lowered (so the bottom of the servo is at the same height as the chassis)
stormperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 01:00 PM   #4703
Tech Fanatic

That looks really cool! How much do you charge for them? I need to get a graphite chassis for my tc3 anyway cuz I only have the old composit one without the little bumps for the droop screws to contact. It's most likely also pretty warped because I was running it as a rally car for a while.
racerdx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 02:26 PM   #4704
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to dynoman007 Send a message via Skype™ to dynoman007
Default sway bar set ups

anyone have any pics or links to nice sway bar set ups for tc3 ..
i saw mention of some square sway bar mounts ?? anyone got anything cool ????
dynoman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 05:56 PM   #4705
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rdub202
Default sway bars

what do they do?
rdub202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 06:16 PM   #4706
Tech Fanatic

Default sway bars

go to
http://home.tiscali.be/be067749/58/
Thats got yer answer right there (Im not sure which chapter). Read the whole thing, its got some of the best tuning information for free!
racerdx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 08:40 PM   #4707
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mab_man20

sway bars crash course:

Sway bars act to stiffen the suspension during turning, but have no effect while breaking/accelerating. If you take off the shocks with a sway bar installed, hold one arm and try to move the other one. It is rather stiff because the bending of the sway bar acts as a damper against the force. No if you let go of both sides and then lift one side, both arms will move together.

This second sinerio is much like breaking, the weight is shifting forward equally on each wheel so the sway bar does not bend (i.e. no added damping).
If the car enters a turn the weight of the car shifts to the outside wheels, compressing them further then the inside. This difference creates a bending in the sway bar, and the sway bar then tries to equal out the "difference." This results in the chassis remaining flatter though a turn.

A chassis that remains flatter then must rotate less to turn the opposite direction. (think of a boat rocking back and forth. If it leans really far, it takes longer for it to rock the same distance on the other side.) This means the car is faster through a series of turns and is faster out of a corner because it "rights" itself faster.

Now the down side. A sway bar removes some of the weight that is shifted to the outside wheels during cornering. This means that the car will not grip the ground as well and tends to "push" (not turn as much). To compensate for this, soften the springs a little and you should be ok.
I would recommend always running a sway bar and then tuning the suspension around it so your happy with the handling.
mab_man20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 12:23 PM   #4708
Tech Adept

Well, this is KIND OF on topic here....

I have raced the TC3 for about the last 4 years now. It was the first TC that I bought. Recently I decided that I needed to try something new. The TC3 was working good, but I wasn't getting any faster, I thought I may have hit a wall or just needed to try something different.

So, I bought a Losi XXX-S. Great car, and I bought it from a very good local racer who ran well with it. I figured he did most of the work getting it put together right and set up properly. I raced it for a few weeks, but it never felt fast. By checking my lap times, I found it wasn't fast. I played around with it a bit, but it just never had the speed that the TC3 had.

This last weekend we had a pretty low turnout for racing, so I figured that would be a good week to try and concentrate on the Losi. Well, I just couldn't get it, so I put the TC3 back on the track. Lap times went down immediately by several tenths and I picked up nearly two laps from what I was able to do with the Losi.

From what I could see, the Losi requires a VERY smooth driving style that forces you to keep your speed high through the corners. Using the same motors and same batteries and gearing, the Losi couldn't come close to the overall speed down the straight and it just didn't have the punch out of the corners.

I'm posting this here in the TC3 forum because I just proved to myself that the TC3 is a superior car. In the hands of a top driver, either car is capable of winning, but the TC3 seems to allow for more driver error and recovery.

Any other views on this observation?

Jeff Gilligan
gotpez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 12:41 PM   #4709
Tech Elite

Um... what more needs to be said than that?!
- Dave
Old 04-08-2003, 12:44 PM   #4710
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by gotpez
Any other views on this observation?

Jeff Gilligan
Yeah I got a view, of the back of that d*** TC3

J Longbrake
J_Longbrake is offline   Reply With Quote