R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-05-2003, 02:57 PM   #4246
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

teamsherman- Welcome!! I don't think you could have picked a better starter car for your class!! With the 540 sealed endbell can motor power is on a short supply, and the extra rip of the TC3 could make up for any speed problems...... I have ran that motor in TCS races locally so I can help a little......

-- use as little toe as possible front and rear...... try 0 deg. front and -2 deg rear... This will allow the car to scrub as little speed on the straights as possible....

-- work on getting the car to turn corners as fast as possible, maintaining as much speed thru them to reduce the need for accelerating from a dead stop.....

-- Make sure your drive-train is as free as possible

-- Use 64 pitch gears, it is alot easer to get taller gear ratios that you wll need for the motor

-- Practice, ractice, practice, wear out your batteries practicing if necessary!!!.....

-- As far as further set-ups I would start with the kit settings except for the toe as mentioned above. Then post your set-up and what problems you are having and we can send you in the right direction to help you get faster.....

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 03:44 PM   #4247
Tech Adept

Default Awesome.

Thats cool, thanx for that. Im racing tomorow night so i will see how i go and keep you informed. Is there any reason as to why the car does not allow for a 540 to be installed out of the box? and can you get a different motor mount so i dont have to modify my one???
Thanx again.
teamsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 05:38 PM   #4248
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Impreza
Default Foam Tire Widths

Currently I run purple 28mm tires in the rear, and double purple 26mm's in the front.

I am just wondering, if I go to 24mm double purple's in the front, how is the car going to react as compared to the 26's? Also, how would it react if I used 28mm both front and rear?
Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 06:37 PM   #4249
Tech Adept

I'm new to this forum and to electric 10th scale and just a week ago, I was deciding between an XXX-s and a TC3. Luckily I went with FT TC3 because it is one sweet car. I hope it handles as good as it looks. Well anyway, I just finished putting it together with the help of the other thread on this forum. Now, it's time to put in some electronics. I went to my LHS and there are lots of option. It is hard to decide when they are all that many. Anyway, I am planning on joining local STOCK races here and eventually move up to MODIFIED. What do you recommend for STOCK motor and ESC.
DRIVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 01:17 AM   #4250
Tech Regular

if u have a never ending budget, i recomend LRP Quantum ESC, and a Trinity P2k its tops man!
Carbon_Fibre3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 02:08 AM   #4251
Tech Apprentice

teamsherman: get the brp wide bumper, without a doubt, they really save your suspension arms! I have also heard swaybars are relly helpful, but haven't used them yet.
There is no optional motor cam for a 540, you have to drill out the kit one. the reason AE didn't even consider allowing 540's to be installed is that they're american and nobody in america uses 540's.
I run a 540 too, at tftr (http:drive.to/tftr), so im familiar with your situation. On the tftr forum is my setup i used for an event at hoppers crossing (a fairly tight track, indoor, med-hi traction), with which i tq'd and came 2nd overall. Not sure what castle hill is like, but if you change the wheelbase to long and the shock positions (i run outside front middle rear) to suit your driving, you should have a good-ish starting setup.
Trippin Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 06:26 AM   #4252
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Driven,
Personally I love my Novak GT7 ESC. AS for motor, rigth now you can't get a better motor than a Monster Horsepower. Out here, if you're in stock and not running one, you're probably not going to be competitive. They have huge RPM and a lot more torque than the older high RPM motors so you don't have to gear back quite as far.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 06:29 AM   #4253
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to mike_Webb

If you want a great Motor get a ProMatch Code Red

http://www.promatchracing.com/motor.html
mike_Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 08:51 AM   #4254
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer
Default Re: Foam Tire Widths

Quote:
Originally posted by Impreza
Currently I run purple 28mm tires in the rear, and double purple 26mm's in the front.

I am just wondering, if I go to 24mm double purple's in the front, how is the car going to react as compared to the 26's? Also, how would it react if I used 28mm both front and rear?
Well, first off, 28's in the front isn't ROAR or NORRCA legal, but for club racing, who cares?

The smaller the contact patch, the more pressure per square millimeter (or whatever measure) BUT the less contact surface.

So - if you're running on a dusty parking lot, a smaller tire just might be the ticket because you will be putting more pressure on the ground.

IN any case, I would think that moving smaller on the fronts will induce a push, under normal circumstances, and moving larger will induce an oversteer situation - or at least move the car in that direction.
Old 03-06-2003, 11:46 AM   #4255
Tech Adept

Thanks a lot for all the replys for ESC and motor. Bought today a Revenge of the Monster PRO dyno tuned but still undecided with the ESC. It maybe a bit much for the racing type that I will be doing but I've narrowed down my choices to GTP7 or LRP Quantum Comp.

Oh, anybody have heard a LRP IPC Pro-sport? My LHS wanted me to start with this ESC and upgrade later on as my driving skills improve.
DRIVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 12:07 PM   #4256
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the ipc pro sport isnt a bad esc, but if your going to get that one you may as well get a top of the line right from the beginning. you will save money in the long run.

jarrod@rikter-designs.com
Jarrod Langlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 01:10 PM   #4257
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

the reason they want you to get the cheaper one and upgrade is so they can sell you two ESC's. One thing I learned is if you plan to race and spend the money "someday" do it as soon as you can afford it. But don't compramise and get what will "do" for now and regret it later when you've advanced beyond the equipment you have and have to buy the expensive stuff anyway.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 02:27 PM   #4258
Tech Rookie

Post Help with new TC3

Please help... n00b to RCTech here

I have a freshly built TC3 Team and I'm just breaking in the car, getting used to it and all - nothing on the susp. or diffs binds; no drag from the drivetrain other than the typical 'newness' of the plastic gears. My car does not track straight on full throttle but seems OK on partial throttle or coasting - it will veer left or right, can't predict which way each time.

I centered the steering servo (HiTec 625MG) and made sure I have 0 deg. on front toe in/out but it will not traack stright on full throttle... HELP!
DahKyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 02:29 PM   #4259
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Your chassis is not balanced or tweaked..
You'll need to put it on a tweak board to balance all 4 wheels..

I too had this problem when I first got my TC3 along while ago. and the guy at the HS showed me how to use a tweak board and all my problems were solved..

SPEEDTECH|FUTABA|KO|ORION|SPEEDWORLD|HARA
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 02:33 PM   #4260
Tech Rookie

christalmighty, i have to put the car on a tweak board just so i can street bash with it? im not going to race the car - just drive fast on the street... is there something simpler and/or less costly that i could do or use other than trying to reduce the amount of tweak on the chassis with a tweak board?

is it possible that my droop is affecting this? what about shock preload? i have my ride height set at 5 mm; everything else is the basic setup from the instruction manual

Last edited by DahKyne; 03-06-2003 at 02:44 PM.
DahKyne is offline   Reply With Quote