R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-02-2003, 01:38 PM   #4216
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Craig... the servo is an Airtronics 94257... and as far as adding three to one side it might fit with a smaller servo... but would defeat the purpose i was aiming for. Two cells, servo and motor on one side is within 2 grams of four cells speedo and receiver on the other. Now i know this depends on each piece of electronics used, and even the amount of solder you add to your batteries as you assemble them. (solder is lead based) Balance was the desired effect. I have to admit the 4x2 config is a little awkward, and keeps you from using anyone elses packs in a pinch... but man, once you drive it like that...all those concerns go away!

- Dave
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 01:40 PM   #4217
Tech Elite

TC3NUT, thank you for the info... i spent a good three hours online last night looking thru billions of pages on IE search trying to find what i was looking for. Again i appreciate the help!
- Dave
Old 03-02-2003, 01:49 PM   #4218
Tech Fanatic

No problem, happy to help.
NTC3NUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 04:49 PM   #4219
Tech Elite

Craig, i did a little research. The servo you are referring too (i believe) is a very popular one amongst the oval crowd. It has a half size case and is very smooth in use. If i am not mistaken, it is an airplane aileron servo. But if my memory serves me, it is also too wide to fit into the tub of the TC3. I dont know the actual part number... but it is a Futaba product. Most of the oval guys that i have talked too that use it, really like it... but i dont know what the specs are... as far as torque, speed, and bearings go. Just thought i would pass what little i know along!
- Dave
Old 03-02-2003, 05:00 PM   #4220
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

The new "Short" servo from Futaba is a S9550. Its digital, roughly 80oz of torque, and .10 transit time. Its half the depth of a standard size servo and the same width. The older version was a 9102 and was wider and not as powerful. The new one is the one all the oval guys and a lot of touring guys are using now and can be had for around 90.00.

eric anderson
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 06:27 PM   #4221
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

That's great scrad!!! Can you email me your final set-up. I've been caught up with the wife and kids and haven't been able to get to the track. My email is chupacabra@sbcglobal.net Thanks--Al
Keepin' it real with my M11x
big al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 06:34 PM   #4222
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Sure I'll check what it is and send it to you tomorrow.

Last edited by Scrad; 03-02-2003 at 06:37 PM.
Scrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 10:00 PM   #4223
Tech Adept

Default New FT TC3 owner

Greetings,

I am a new FT TC3 owner and wanted to know of any building tips or pitfalls that I should be aware of.

Thanks
DRIVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 11:52 PM   #4224
Tech Master

EAM,

I know where off-topic but please answer.
The Futaba S9550 can only be used with the new 3PK?!
Or will it also work with Ko Propo?

Thanks,
Pizza
PizzaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 01:29 AM   #4225
Tech Master

Hi guys, greetings from Malta.

We had another good day at the 10th round of our Nationals yesterday, my son's TC3 with all it's latest mods performing just as we had hoped.

Josh has now won all 10 rounds of the championship and made fastest lap each time too.

This was only our second outing with the milled chassis. During mid week testing we found out that the new alloy centre shaft (prop shaft) is a retrograde step and consigned it to the bin. I hope AE realise this and get back to producing the more reliable, and lighter carbon centre shaft.

The original shaft has had 3 years of hard racing and never complained. The alloy shaft failed on it's 4th run, simply because the car got airborne on one of the kerbs. Josh rides the kerbs regularly and we have never had any problems, yet the first open throttle landing with the new shaft and it twists like a banana. Glad it happened during testing and I was able to replace it with the original carbon shaft.

Putting the original shaft back on did of course mean moving ther cells back out 1mm but that wasn't too difficult.

Throughout the championship Josh has been using the following equipment, which has been totally reliable.

Associated TC3 prepared by John Bull Racing.
Novak GT7 speedo.
Novak XXL receiver.
Novak Millenium Pro charger.
Corally Pro Series modified motors.
Corally / Panasonic UMH 3000 Pro Team cells - we have a 3000 limit here.
KO Propo digital servo.
Protoform bodyshell.
Sorex tyres.

Next round in 2 weeks time, but next week the first F1 Grand Prix. Who is it going to be!!!!!!

regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 08:34 AM   #4226
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Setup info : carpet & rubbers

Can you knowledgeable folks please post a decent carpet/rubber setup? The carpet I'll race on is far from grippy, and there's a few rimples at the end of the sweeper after the straight. Overall, a good layout, somewhat fast. I will use Orion B tires, 12x2 and 3000HV. I'm looking for a stable setup with decent steering but not too much, I'm no Barry Baker

Actually, would you guys have a setup with 2 diffs and a setup with a front one-way?

Thanks much!!!

Later

Paul

PS: Already checked TonyP's site... and I'm looking for something different (no offense intended)... thanks! Paul

Last edited by Lonestar; 03-03-2003 at 10:05 AM.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 09:00 AM   #4227
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Help on setting up One Way Diff

Hi,

I need help setting up my TC3 to run with a one way diff. I softened the back suspension, and stiffened the front, running no brakes on the ESC, running Monster motor with red springs on both sides.

Problem: car is very loose on rear end when I turn into a corner, rear wants and does spin out.

Any advise would be appreciated...

Speedchair
SpeedChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 09:00 AM   #4228
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Help on setting up One Way Diff

Hi,

I need help setting up my TC3 to run with a one way diff. I softened the back suspension, and stiffened the front, running no brakes on the ESC, running Monster motor with red springs on both sides.

Problem: car is very loose on rear end when I turn into a corner, rear wants and does spin out.

Any advise would be appreciated...

Speedchair
SpeedChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 09:22 AM   #4229
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by PizzaDude
EAM,

I know where off-topic but please answer.
The Futaba S9550 can only be used with the new 3PK?!
Or will it also work with Ko Propo?

Thanks,
Pizza

I use that servo... it will work with any radio system.

SPEEDTECH|FUTABA|KO|ORION|SPEEDWORLD|HARA
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 09:32 AM   #4230
Tech Elite

Its hard to discern what could be the problem with a one way setup. Especially on a forum. There are so many variables that can make a car swap ends. I would suggest a few things to check. Droop front and rear (not enough droop in the rear can cause the car to loop when off throttle or applying brake) Softening the rear suspension TOO much..can be a negative effect as well. If the front is rock hard...and the rear is as soft as a babys bootie... the rear will have a tendency to roll excessively (on one side of the suspension) in conjunction with the lack of droop...and the rear end will swap with the front. The trend lately is to run as little droop as possible on these cars. But it can make the car harder to drive. Give the car 2.5 mm in the front and 1.5 in the back as a START. Add the thickest swaybar you can find to the front ONLY. Make the rest of your setup neutral, and start with slow laps... getting used to the way the car comes into the corner on and off throttle. Drive it for a few packs to try and get used to it... then dial out some rear droop..and make note of the change it makes. Keep making changes to the car... dont worry about others on the track and the speed they travel... YOU cant go fast by watching others cars while you are trying to drive! (just watch the line they take) You may find the one way isnt for you and your driving style. Heck, alot of the team drivers dont even run them anymore due to the incosistent feel of the one way. Again, this is only general information...
- Dave