R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree4Likes

Old 01-08-2003, 02:26 PM   #3706
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Driftmaster
Basically the Losi deals are like aluminum covers for the portion of the outdrive that the dogbone rides in. i think trinity makes them, if you want to get a look at them .

As far as durability, have you had a chance to run these much? i only ask cuz I am a decent driver, but like you say, a certain amount of defensive driving goes on out there, not to mention my own mistakes. sometimes it's just the "hit in the right place" type crashes that does stuff in. Anyway I'm not trying to bring you guys down, just hoping i can help you with my experiences.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 04:16 PM   #3707
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Runtime

Quote:
Originally posted by RC1q2w3e4r
Can I ask if anyone runs stock motors with 2400 Nicads?

What is the usual runtime?

My P2k2 brushes foul the comm quite easily, is it normal. Only 2 runs after I cleaned it it gets black with carbon again, does changing the brushes help if yes then what brushes?

What is the reason for that overgearing to burn the motor? What is the rationale behind it? Doesn't the motor runs the same RPM no matter how you geared it? Does undergearing harm the motor?
I run 2400 nicds with my p2k2. My gearing is 72/26 in my tc3, the reason that overgearing can hurt the motor is because it makes the motor work harder to spin the wheels. I've never had any problems with brushes fouling the comm, I use Team Orion 10/20 brushes. They work well and you can get 10-20 runs outta them. I'd say that my usual run time in my tc3 would be 6-8 minutes, but Im not sure, Ive never timed it. Mabey I even get more . Im not sure if undergearing can hurt the motor, but I highly doubt it will.
racerdx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 04:22 PM   #3708
Tech Adept

moonman:
I thinking its going to be just like a locked diff but with more
than 1/2 less the rotating mass. It should give it more punch.
I am putting one in the rear as well just to try, not sure what will happen. Im thinking it will make the car push but not sure till I try it. If its gets a push with the spool in the rear I want to try front end on the rear of the car to give the 4w steering when entering the corners. Soon as the car is back together I will be sure to let ya know what I find out. Still waiting for some parts I need to get here. Our Hobby Town sux, unless you like D&D.

robk:
I talked to my buddy that made the spools and said something about a slipper thing on the spool. He said he could mount the ring gear on with a nylon nut, its sounds good especially for inexperienced drivers. He is coming over tonight
and Im going to show him how an off road cars slippers works. Maybe he can better under stand it? Hes just learing about
RC cars. No telling what he can come up with when he does
learn more about them.
driftmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 05:04 PM   #3709
Tech Fanatic

not sure if a car will turn at all with a spool in the rear because there is no diff action.
James Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 05:12 PM   #3710
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Driftmaster:
The Slipper thing sounds interesting. The same buddy with the Losi did a similar thing, except he put the pegs from a Traxxas slipper into the diff holes to allow some slip.

The main thing with the outdrive part of the spool is that either the momentum of the crash can push one "ear" of the outdrive past its snapping point or the right type of force from brushing a wall , etc, can push the "ear" to break. I think its more of a material thing than the design, that's why there are a lot of aluminum spools. In fact if you made a spool with separate oudrive cups, the would be the best thing. They could be replaced if they break or wear out.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 05:16 PM   #3711
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the rear end could break traction very violently because of the no diff action as well.

[email protected]
Jarrod Langlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 12:58 AM   #3712
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by spaz456
the rear end could break traction very violently
Just hope Im not on the driver stand.

rodk:
I have squeezed and pried on the ears of one we cut to short, I couldn't get it to break to easily.
Old 01-09-2003, 04:00 AM   #3713
Tech Adept

On the full scale Audi A4 4wd Supertouring car they did use a spool at the rear on some tracks in the BTCC in -96, -97.
moonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 05:28 AM   #3714
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

Basically what you guys call a spool is simply a locked diff.

All the 1/8 IC cars use them all the time these days, together with one ways up front.

It seems to work OK on them but just doesn't seem to do do on electrics. I can't give a sensible explanation why.

I tried this system - one way front and locked rear - on my son's TC3 but it became undriveable.

And Moonman you are right again, Audi did use locked rear diffs in their touring cars, as do quite a few 4wd runners.

In the 60s and 70s Porsche even used to use locked diffs on their 906, 907 and 910 Sports cars at some circuits, and these were rear wheel drive.

There are a few guys hill climbing rear wheel drive cars with locked diffs out here, and many years ago I used to do Autotests with an MG Midget with a locked diff. Great fun. You could spin it on a sixpence. I even tried a locked diff on a Mini some years ago but you needed to have arms like Superman to drive it.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 05:37 PM   #3715

The whole point of the spool is to make it pull out of the corner from the apex on. FWD & AWD cars want to push when you do this and the one way and the spool do the same thing coming out of the corner. It was done at the reedy race(rubber tire) when no one-ways were allowed. You can approximate this effect with a tight diff setting. Same effect in 1:1 cars, thats what the suretrac diff in the front of the 2004 WRX STI will do too. In stock foam touring I haven't tried it but I did try tightening the front excessively and it bound the car up. I haven't tried a traditional one way this year but it worked great last year. The extra benefit of a true non diff one way is the car won't slow at all going into the corner from the diff. The only problem that particular time was a series of tight corners and I lost too much time on the last one because of going in too fast which was too easy to do with the one way(no brakes!). I will try it again when I have the track is right.
OB42TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 05:44 PM   #3716
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

NTC3NUT

how did you mount the fan #273-240? i bought one ant it doesnt quite fit into the side slot in the chassis?
shrekair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 07:10 PM   #3717
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default question for the bearing gods

which brand of bearings do you recommend?

theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 08:49 PM   #3718
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by OB42TC3
The whole point of the spool is to make it pull out of the corner from the apex on. FWD & AWD cars want to push when you do this and the one way and the spool do the same thing coming out of the corner.
One of the guys at my home track once said one ways are faster. I just laughed, thinking no way maybe on certain tracks. These days Im laughing at myself for thinking that. I believe they are faster and if you don't have one your not
wining.
I remember the anticipation I had waiting for HPI to release the Pro. We ran the one way bearing on the gear shaft not quite the same as today. I have some touring car stick time and the first time I ran a true one way I couldn't drive it. I had to give myself quite a bit of time to get the hang of it. I didn't trust that the car would pull around the corner when I gave it the gas. I was thinking it would push in the wall and also my reflexes had to get faster. Give it some time if your not running one.
I broke a one way at a race and didn't have another. My buddy next to me said lock the diff, its the same thing, not quit. You can use your breaks! I like a little drag break as well and think its all about the breaking to, kinda like super bikes. Anyone can gas it, but how long will you hold it their? Im hoping the spool will work the same but more punch coming out. Just to cents.
Old 01-10-2003, 03:59 AM   #3719
Tech Fanatic

I think you can see the fan in this photo. The Radio Shack fan I bought had plenty of room to mount next to the motor. I drilled thru both support ribs, and used long titanium screws w/mini blue aluminum lock nuts on the back. After I had the mounting spot all set-up, I removed the fan and drilled the holes for air flow at the bottom of the fan. These holes also go thru both support ribs. It's really pretty easy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fttc3 002.jpg (69.9 KB, 241 views)
NTC3NUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 04:08 AM   #3720
Tech Fanatic

Hey guy's, check out this rear shock tower mod. I don't take credit for it's design, a few of the racers at our local track showed it to me a couple of weeks ago. I just put it together Wednesday, I'm going to try it this weekend and see how it goes. I believe it's a simpler design of what Josh was doing to his car with the Losi rear tower. Let me know what you think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shocktowermod 001.jpg (61.5 KB, 254 views)
NTC3NUT is offline   Reply With Quote