R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-07-2003, 04:01 PM   #3691
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The only fan I found to be less than 12v is the one available with the foam stand from Trinity. but that fan is rated at 4.8v.
see:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBGN4&P=7

The fan for the Trinity Motor Kooling station is rated at 6v.
but pricey...
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDNC0&P=7

or I guess we have to wait for the orion V2 motor fan to come out.

SPEEDTECH|FUTABA|KO|ORION|SPEEDWORLD|HARA

Last edited by rc-zombies; 01-07-2003 at 04:06 PM.
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 04:15 PM   #3692
Tech Fanatic

I used the 12v fan from Radio Shack, P/N 273-240 ($10). Same one that Josh used. I have a friend that pirated one from his Trinity car stand too. I don't think that one worked as well, it was smaller & didn't seem to spin as fast.. I hooked mine up with a Novak switch ($6), and connected it to the underside of my ESC's solder joints. That way you can't see any of the wiring, the fan has constant power anytime the battaries are connected, and I can turn it on or off with the switch. I have Mod motors, but I really only race stock. I have not measured temps, but with a motor hot enough that you couldn't hold your fingers on it, it cooled it enough to hold them on as long as you liked. It definetly does work.
NTC3NUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 04:35 PM   #3693
Tech Adept

The fan I used rated at 5V and it works great, with temp gun I noticed that the temp reduced more than 10deg C with it.
PHANTOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 05:49 PM   #3694
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to stormperson

nm then, sorry. it was a AE factory driver who made the main there, but he must of been joking (which doesnt suprise me).
stormperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 06:07 PM   #3695
Tech Fanatic

Nothing to be sorry about dude, everyones entitled to their own opinion. That's what these boards are for. I just wanted to point out that the fans do work. As far as the factory guys go, most of them are cool enough, but I have met a few that are stright up asses. I will never understand why a public represenative would act the way some of them do.
NTC3NUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 06:59 PM   #3696
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

driftmaster:
Have you considered offering "diff saver" type rings like are available for Losis? I'm asking because i tried delrin diff halves before the AE lightweight stuff was available. They were good, but would break or chip in bad crashes. The same thing happens with the AE diffs, except the dogbone tends to just pop out instead of breaking the half. I assume this is because the Ae stuff is not as stiff as delrin. i assume the stress on a solid axle would be worse. A friend of mine runs Losi diffs locked up, and always uses the "diff savers", since they are fragile when locked up. This is foam on carpet, too.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 07:12 PM   #3697
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I have been running a fan now for awhile and found it to be great for run time and keeping the motor temp down. I have just wired it up to the battery wires. Who cars if it spins while your sitting on the grid, it uses like nothing to run it. Now there is around 80% of the field run fans in Mod and in now in Stock. I just use a 12v fan but I have a connection that is getting 6v fans.

Coxy.
Coxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 08:03 PM   #3698
Tech Regular

I can see the benefit from using a fan.
But would cutting a small slit in the bodyshell be better???
thats what all the plane guys do. And it works great.

Opinions?????
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 08:34 PM   #3699

Default Runtime

Can I ask if anyone runs stock motors with 2400 Nicads?

What is the usual runtime?

My P2k2 brushes foul the comm quite easily, is it normal. Only 2 runs after I cleaned it it gets black with carbon again, does changing the brushes help if yes then what brushes?

What is the reason for that overgearing to burn the motor? What is the rationale behind it? Doesn't the motor runs the same RPM no matter how you geared it? Does undergearing harm the motor?
RC1q2w3e4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 08:43 PM   #3700
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by robk
driftmaster:
Have you considered offering "diff saver" type rings like are available for Losis? I'm asking because i tried delrin diff halves before the AE lightweight stuff was available. They were good, but would break or chip in bad crashes. The same thing happens with the AE diffs, except the dogbone tends to just pop out instead of breaking the half. I assume this is because the Ae stuff is not as stiff as delrin. i assume the stress on a solid axle would be worse. A friend of mine runs Losi diffs locked up, and always uses the "diff savers", since they are fragile when locked up. This is foam on carpet, too.

robk, you have a very good point their. Me personally, I may step out of line a little but no hard crashes. I started running a one way when I got a chance
to race against Tphalen (very nice guy) and saw how much faster they were first hand. Once I learned how to drive and set up a car with one-way's, which was basically Tony's set up and how he said to drive the car, lol, I got fast.
But my biggest bitch is when racing local club races there is a lot more defensive driving, you need your brakes, at least I do, so I started locking the front diff and I liked it. I have striped ring gears before, that's a price you have to pay.

I guess it boils down to you cant have the best of both worlds. I do see what you saying to being a good thing. The spool is cut in one pieceto save on rotating mass. Without adding a lot of weight how could we solve the problem?

How do the"diff saver" type rings for the Losis work?
driftmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 08:47 PM   #3701

Quote:
Originally posted by snoopy
I can see the benefit from using a fan.
But would cutting a small slit in the bodyshell be better???
thats what all the plane guys do. And it works great.

Opinions?????
That'd probably work too. I think it's legal?? Anyway to address the heatsink issue; whatever the ariflow increase over the heatsink/motor due to the fan is roughly the same multiple you'd have to increase heatsink area by. So if you say conservatively your're getting twice the airflow, you'd need twice the heatsink, and I think the multiple probably around five.
OB42TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 10:23 PM   #3702
Tech Adept

Default Re: Runtime

Quote:
Originally posted by RC1q2w3e4r
Can I ask if anyone runs stock motors with 2400 Nicads?

What is the usual runtime?

My P2k2 brushes foul the comm quite easily, is it normal. Only 2 runs after I cleaned it it gets black with carbon again, does changing the brushes help if yes then what brushes?

What is the reason for that overgearing to burn the motor? What is the rationale behind it? Doesn't the motor runs the same RPM no matter how you geared it? Does undergearing harm the motor?
1. I usually get around 6 minutes.

2. Not really, check if your brush hoods are aligned correctly.

3. Overgearing puts too much load on the motor. It's like trying to lift a 500 pound object as opposed to lifting it with a pulley; your're lifting the same weight and with the same force but it is nearly impossible. Undergearing is bad because your motor is constantly running to fast; try doing this in a 1:1 car. I usually gear my stocks around 6.5 gear ratio.
Lab-driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 05:27 AM   #3703
Tech Adept

driftmaster

Can you tell us a little bit what the spool does to the handling of the car. I assume it's meant to be used at the front but what happens if you put it in the rear?

Last edited by moonman; 01-08-2003 at 05:29 AM.
moonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 07:59 AM   #3704
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I am almost positive cutting a hole in the body is illegal.
Peter Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 01:59 PM   #3705
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by spongebob
I am almost positive cutting a hole in the body is illegal.
not to mention the fact that the resulting increase in drag caused by the hole would more than offset the added weight/ power loss caused by the fan.
Racin Rev is offline   Reply With Quote